Hello from a newbie

Hi all. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions pretty soon but for now I just thought I'd introduce myself.

I was diagnosed with PsA four years ago but at that time my case was mild, confined to several toes, and my psoriasis only a few spots. I did not like the rheumy I saw and was very frightened of the medication (MTX) he wanted me to take so I declined and didn't go back. I subsequently started treatment for my psoriasis with a dermatologist I like a lot and have had pretty good results (laser therapy and topicals). My toes cleared up although I did notice some general sfiffness. The hot tub usually mellowed that.

A few weeks ago I suddenly got hammered with very bad inflammation of the wrists and most fingers. Consequently, many ADLs are affected, I am in pain and have had to curtail most physically-demanding activity. This made me decide that I should try a different rheumy and that probably the time has come for me to have to submit to DMARDs (but still won't take prednisone). I have an appointment for friday and it's hanging over me like being a prisoner waiting for execution.

I am a researcher type and pretty much know what my options are going to be and what I can expect (had to get educated anyway as last dr. got angry when I wanted to discuss risks and side effects). I realize that not to get treatment is likely a mistake that will lead to joint damage and debility but I am really afraid of the medications I'll have to take and feel that to a degree I'm just trading one set of miseries for another. So, I'm in a rock/hard place spot now - one of those 'everything will be different now' kind of moments.

Maybe I'll get to chat with some of you on other forums once I have specific questions. For now I could just use a little encouragement and emotional support.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Welcome! I am new here also. Just joined yesterday. I too read all the information there was about medications to treat PsA and was very hesitant to take any of them. While the side effects may be scare, you may or may not experience side effects...they will be of some help. Hang in there.

Thanks mom !

Techmomof2 said:

Welcome! I am new here also. Just joined yesterday. I too read all the information there was about medications to treat PsA and was very hesitant to take any of them. While the side effects may be scare, you may or may not experience side effects...they will be of some help. Hang in there.

Welcome jwm649 :-)

Hi and welcome. Sorry you're having a tough time of it. Not everyone responds to medications in the same way and until you take a medication there is no telling how you will respond. While it is smart to weigh the risks, the risk of joint damage from going untreated is very real and very serious. So, to me, the two factors being weighed are my chances of getting sick from a drug (which I can stop if I have a negative interaction) against my chances of being disabled in some way from having an unchecked disease.

Poke around the site and do ask questions as you have them. There are many very caring souls here. Hope you get your head around this--it is a game-changing disease and can often make you feel like you just got your [butt] handed to you. Cheers!

Best tip ever:

Before starting new meds, come here and fish around for the most common side effects and how we avoid them. You’ll thank me later :slight_smile:

Welcome!

Big welcome and kuddos for having the courage to just jump right in and advocate for yourself jwm64 !

I know how very scary this is and how horrible you are feeling wrestling with your own emotions over, do I fight or do I sit back and wait. It is so very life changing when as Grumpy Cat says "you get your butt handed to you on a platter"! Do not ever give up or give in- just tap a few keys and come here, let it out, soak it in, whatever your thing needs to be right now.

i've been fighting this thing for thirty years with this and that , here and there and then three years ago I got so ill I made a will because I felt as if I where dying. Turns out I nearly did, from LACK OF TREATMENT when I had a serious skin flare ,no insurance and no dermatologist or reumatologist.

When I first found this site I was undiagnosed and stumbled on it out of curiosity because I had both RA and psoriasis but a bad case of lost medical records and no tactile evidence because my skin was clear at the visit. So I mentioned several things to my GP and went into a screening for a drug trail, yup, I've got PsA and osteo. Just received my diag. in July after thirty years. Haven't really started any treatment but did receive a steroid injection to get me through till I see the reumatologist next month.I don't like the side effects and will change that asap but until then it has helped tremendously with my concentration level and the terrible all over sick feeling all the time.

There are definitely people here who can support and talk you through whatever treatment options YOU decide on. So hang in there....... You are going to like it here, come often!

Here are a few hugs to start your day cause I know you probably need them today XXXXXXXX

Thanks a bunch crazy - I needed a hug. Off to see the doctor in five minutes. Hear is racing !

crazylady said:

Big welcome and kuddos for having the courage to just jump right in and advocate for yourself jwm64 !

I know how very scary this is and how horrible you are feeling wrestling with your own emotions over, do I fight or do I sit back and wait. It is so very life changing when as Grumpy Cat says "you get your butt handed to you on a platter"! Do not ever give up or give in- just tap a few keys and come here, let it out, soak it in, whatever your thing needs to be right now.

i've been fighting this thing for thirty years with this and that , here and there and then three years ago I got so ill I made a will because I felt as if I where dying. Turns out I nearly did, from LACK OF TREATMENT when I had a serious skin flare ,no insurance and no dermatologist or reumatologist.

When I first found this site I was undiagnosed and stumbled on it out of curiosity because I had both RA and psoriasis but a bad case of lost medical records and no tactile evidence because my skin was clear at the visit. So I mentioned several things to my GP and went into a screening for a drug trail, yup, I've got PsA and osteo. Just received my diag. in July after thirty years. Haven't really started any treatment but did receive a steroid injection to get me through till I see the reumatologist next month.I don't like the side effects and will change that asap but until then it has helped tremendously with my concentration level and the terrible all over sick feeling all the time.

There are definitely people here who can support and talk you through whatever treatment options YOU decide on. So hang in there....... You are going to like it here, come often!

Here are a few hugs to start your day cause I know you probably need them today XXXXXXXX

Welcome!!! Hoping you find this forum to be a valuable tool as you work to find your new normals