Had first Humira shot

Last Wed. I had my first Humira shot (pen) and no problem at all. No site irritation and not even a drop of blood. No sting, no nothing. I had read all the various references by others over a few months and expected some site irritation and probably a little sting.

What is interesting is that I had not heard (or is it I did not pay attention) any reference to how long ittakes to start once the script is started. I am writing this not only as a catch up (I had not been on-line here for a while) but to give notice to newbies that there is a whole lot of coordinating that goes on before you actually get the first shot. The docotor's office contacts a subdivision of Humira's (or something like that) who will contact your insurance, you will be given a discount/subsidizing card by your doc. and/or the coordinating people, the pharmacy will then be part of the information gathering by the coordinating people and after all is said and done you will get a vising nurse to demo the first shot. It is a good idea to go on-line as soon as Humiria is prescribed so you can order free training kit, trvel kit, sharps container, etc. In the end my co-pay was $5 which includes everything listed above - total.

I have not experienced any fatigue due to Humira in the half week since I got the shot. Labs every month and will see my Rheumy after third shot.

For those of you who have already been down he road - hope all goes well. And you too GrumpyCat.

Were you on another Dmard before this or is this your first disease modifying drug?

Thanks, Dr. Marc!

Glad to see you prowling around and very happy to hear about your first injection. I LOVED Humira when I took it. I saw rapid improvement of symptoms when I started it and had no problems with injections or any side effects. I hope you seem the same results.

Will you be taking MTX with it? I just started MTX myself. I understand that Humira and Remicade are best when used with MTX. I am taking it as a subcutaneous injection and had great luck with the first injection on Friday. So far, no side effects at all.

Blude Bug and GrumpyCat: I have been on Methotrexate since mid-Jan. I have gotten some significant relief from inflammation and answered my question as to whether or not I had Spondylitis - back much better after several weeks on MTX. I am still on MTX and Humira is added. I take MTX as a pill, and Humira is only avialable as a shot as it is a biologic.

GrumpyCat said:

Thanks, Dr. Marc!

Glad to see you prowling around and very happy to hear about your first injection. I LOVED Humira when I took it. I saw rapid improvement of symptoms when I started it and had no problems with injections or any side effects. I hope you seem the same results.

Will you be taking MTX with it? I just started MTX myself. I understand that Humira and Remicade are best when used with MTX. I am taking it as a subcutaneous injection and had great luck with the first injection on Friday. So far, no side effects at all.

Well, I hope you have some great results from the combo. I love to hear about people getting better, so let me know how you are doing!

GrumpyCat said:

Well, I hope you have some great results from the combo. I love to hear about people getting better, so let me know how you are doing!
Will do .

Good luck with the Humira. You mentioned you will have labs done every month. Is this due the fact you also take MTX? I've been on Humira, Remicade, and now Enbrel and only had labs done every 6 months or so. I was on MTX prior to the Bio's and had labs done ever 8 weeks I believe it was.

I think doctor preference may have something to do with how often labs are done. I get mine every 6 weeks. That is with Remicade and MTX. I am also new to both medications. My doc is probably trying to be cautious during the initiation of a new drug. I’m sure that, after time, my labs will be checked a lot less.

My Doc keeps me on a two month leash with the labs. I've been on Enbrel for 18 months now and I'm doing very well with it, but the doctor still wants my blood drawn.

Maybe the situation can change quickly..

Enbrel's drug studies include an RA trial with placebo, placebo and Enbrel, Placebo and MTX, and MTX and Enbrel. The trial clearly showed that MTX beats the placebo, Enbrel beats MTX and the combination is the best. But the trial was for RA, not for PsA. I don't think there are many studies of MTX on PsA.

Not only is my doc. playing it safe in some general sense but I just turned 68. The older you are the more potential of toxic levels being reached sooner. I did not ask my Rheumy about it because I already know this facter. Then on top of that is issue with my reactions (similar to allergies) to small amounts of things that can affect me.

Chris said:

Good luck with the Humira. You mentioned you will have labs done every month. Is this due the fact you also take MTX? I've been on Humira, Remicade, and now Enbrel and only had labs done every 6 months or so. I was on MTX prior to the Bio's and had labs done ever 8 weeks I believe it was.