Gout? What is this?!

So, I've felt a little off the last 4 days. Little dizzy, headache, very tired. Yesterday I took a nap, and woke up with severe (I have high pain tolerance!) pain in my elbow. I go to take a look at it, and it's huge and hot and swollen and looks very odd. I'm a little panicky about it...

Ive been on Enbrel for 4 months now, and am feeling like I'm getting my life back finally. No other joints are inflamed and I havent had a flare up in awhile, and this isn't at all what my flares are like.

I took a Meloxicam to help with the inflammation, but it did nothing, and normally it would really help my PsA. I don't think thats what this is...

The only thing that fits my symptoms is gout...how is that even possible? I'm 39, active, a healthy weight, I eat clean, I rarely overindulge in alcohol.

Does anyone else have this with PsA and P??

I have a Dr appt this afternoon, hoping I can go load up on pred or something soon!

If its gout, and I doubt it is (as it starts in the big toe), they can run a blood test to be sure and you can lay it on lack ofdrinking water. Ask him about running a metabolic panel too. You may have some weird kidney numbers

More than likely if you took your nap on the couch you got your shoulder in in a bad spot that pinched a nerve and caused some tendonitis/enthesitis and it will pass. I'd be icing it

I hope you're right, and its not. It keeps getting bigger and is hot to the touch. I did read that it starts in the feet, but then in some cases can start in wrists and elbows, especially in patients with Psoriasis which got me worried.

Thanks, will ask for a metabolic panel. Im seeing my PCP since my Rheumy doesnt have an opening for a week (really??) but my PCP has been great in helping me out with my PSA whenever I need him.

Sounds very similar to what happened to my elbow ...... was tendonitis/enthesitis and inflammation of the bursa. Icing is the way to go. Good luck and hope it's better soon.

Thanks Jules, that makes me feel better, hope that is what it is. Did it just come on out of the blue? I havent dont anything to hurt it, havent ridden my horse in four days, so didnt injure it that way. So weird!

So, it was neither Gout nor enthesitis... I have septic arthritis in my elbow! Am so very lucky I got to the Dr right away, got shots of an antibiotic, oral antibiotics, prednisone, and anti inflammatory and had some fluid drained. Have been sicker than a dog. Don't know yet which bactieria got in there, but it did get in through my Psoriasis which had cracked open last week on that elbow.

Going to be a lot more diligent about keeping my P covered when its at the cracking stage, never want to go through this again.

OMG Kestrel. That’s awful. Thank goodness you didn’t waste any time getting to the doctor. Sounds like it’s under control, but you’re right, you don’t want to have this again. Nasty.

Look after yourself! Rest!

Wow! Really glad that you got yourself checked out. That's why it's so important to get checked out when there is something new or alarming. You felt sick, and had the major inflammation in your elbow. Feel better soon, and take good care of yourself.

Thank you, yes, I have definitely learned that when something doesnt seem right, I have to get to the Dr quickly. My body has always gone from not feeling right to very sick in a matter of hours. I guess my immune system has always been non existent, a now with Enbrel I catch everything that comes my way. Its a good reminder how careful we all need to be!

Ouch!! Very nasty condition is septic arthritis, get well soon x