Going on Humira

I am researching this topic for my best friend, who has psoriatic arthritis. She is in her late thirties, and has tried MtX and Predinisone (seperately) with no benefit to her arthritis. Her Rheumy is suggesting she goes on Humira and due to the expense and her husband's distaste for self-admin medicine she is reluctant to try this. My specific questions are this: as far as I understand damage done by arthritis is not necessarily recoverable so she should go on Humira as promptly as possible, correct? Is the fact that the rheumy is recommending biologics a bad sign? I think I'll have more questions once these are answered but it is a start. PS She is already aware of the financial assistance available for Humira, she is unlikely to qualify, but also unlikely to have the funds to pay for it easily.

Welcome to the group Sara, and good for you for doing this for your friend.

There is debate as to whether MTX is really useful for psoriatic arthritis. However, there are other DMARDs that can be tried, and leflunomide is an option. As with any medication, there is always a risk for side effects.

In terms of how aggressive to be, only your friend and her doctor really have an idea as to how aggressive her arthritis is. But early and aggressive treatment is the way to go. That her doctor is recommending biologics may mean that the rheumy is concerned about how aggressive her disease is.

Does she want to join the group herself as well? She may be able to get a lot out of it.

I think right now she is too overwhelmed to join herself. Maybe some time down the road..

I can give some more info. She has known she had arthritis since she was 16 or so. She had an aunt with RA and although she tested neg the docs thought that was what she had as well for years. The arthritis has gotten worse and a few weeks ago she had what the rheumy was an allergic reaction and all her joints became swollen. She lost all fine motor (could not fold laundry, could not pick up folded shirt) and now it seems that things are more urgent. She doesn't want to rush into anything, but on the other hand time seems to be an important factor.

Hi Sara,

It is so nice that you are researching for your friend. I just started Humira, just too my third injection today. I have been on steroids since my diagnosis, which I understand Is a defining factor to the diagnosis. I haven’t been on anything else.

I appreciate, your questions and look forward to see the responses.

I do get the financial assistance even with medical coverage, my co-pay is $5, which is a big help. I was not asked any financial information when qualifying. work full time but haven’t really since October. it cant hurt to try. Encourage her to.at least give it a shot.

Arthritis damage is irreversible and/or may need surgery. I dont know much about this disease yet so I cant speak on it as well as others. I did research but nothing comes close to the knowledge hearing from others with the condition, that’s my opinion.

good luck to you and your friend. Keep us posted

Her doctor is suggesting a biologic because they work. They're safe and effective. Prednisone did nothing for me except make me feel weird. Enbrel (a close cousin to humira) works wonders for me. Tell her not to worry an tell her to distract herself while taking the shot. She should be fine. After close to 100 self injections, they don't even bother me anymore.

If it's financially possible for your friend then she should go for it, regardless of her husbands opinion. I was hardly able to drive to my rheumatologist one day in October I was in such pain in my shoulders, hips and knees. I'm a builder and have managed moderate to severe pain all my life w/o a problem but this PsA is an altogether different animal... lol

Anyway... i gave myself my 1st Humira shot in her office that Friday afternoon at 4:00pm. I woke up at 3:30 Saturday morning and was 90% better. A miracle!!!

I've been taking it for over two months and it's losing a little of it's effectiveness... but I'm just recently diagnosed and am seeing my Rheumy on 1/11. l'll continue to work on my treatment options until I find what works best.

If your friends PsA is anything like mine the poor gal must be suffering. I have had zero side effects from it other than being tired... which is part of PsA anyway si I'd say she should go for it.

Is she a member in here? I find it very helpful and comforting to cruise these pages...

all the best

What a great support for a friend, she is blessed! She will find many friends here, I have. All I can tell you is that I had my 4th Humira shot Saturday and I can't tell you the difference it makes in my hands. I can move them, I can hold things, I don't drop things nearly as much. I wake up and they don't hurt and aren't stiff. I can actually dry my hair which may not sound like much but I cut my long hair into a really short one because holding a hair dryer and a brush together was such a problem for me. Now this didn't happen overnight, it took until about a week after I took my 3rd shot that I started to notice a difference. I take my shot every other week. I don't know what her husband's problem is with the drugs but Humira has been a lifesaver for me. I also take Methotraxate so I don't know if it is just one or both that is helping but whatever, it is. Now if they will just start working on my back, hip, let and foot I will be the happiest girl ever. Good luck to her!