Flare or sciatica?

I have been having alot of low back, hip, outer thigh pain on my right side. Initially i figure it was a flare. Now i’m wondering if maybe it’s sciatic nerve pain. It has migrated to the outside of my knee as well. It is significantly better in the morning but worsens as the day progresses. By evening it’s quite painful. I have been limping for about a week. Sometimes it’s pretty mild but gets worse if i’m more active through the day. I haven’t been able to use the treadmill at all…10 minutes and i’m in agony!

I’ve lost 50 lbs since November as per my doctor’s recommendation that my weight wasn’t “helping” my joints. However i’ve had way more problems since i started exercising regularily! (And by exercise it’s generally a 30min brisk walk 4 times a week…nothing too crazy).

Anyone have any experience with sciatica? The pain is difficult to describe. Starts out in a somewhat “comfy” position, which gradually becomes more and more painful untiil i have to shift around to find a new “comfy” position, then repeats the process until every position hurts. If i move the wrong way it a sharp stab of pain in my lower back that takes your breath away. Sitting upright in a chair gets painful rather quickly and makes me very very stiff in only a few minutes. The pain in my thigh muscle is almost like the pain from after a charlie horse.

My hands and elbows have been very sore as well, which is part of why i’m confused about my back pain. One minute i’m thinkng just a typical flare, the next i’m thinking it’s not typical at all!

I had a pain in my side a few days ago. Couldn't take a deep breath or move certain ways. It was as you described that I would be comfy for a while and had to shift around. The pain was intense when I moved too much or the wrong way. After a day and a half of that I took a Back and Muscle relaxer before bed. Woke up the next morning and no more pain.

I’ve been taking prescription muscle relaxers and Tylenol 3 (alternating not together) and although it brings it to a dull roar and helps me sleep it’s not working as a solution… As it did with you. That’s why I’m not sure what it is…plus the fact that it feels much better in the morning which is generally the opposite of PsA. I even thought maybe kidney stones when I started getting the sharp pain…but I only get those if I move the wrong way or too quickly. Thanks for the input though! Maybe it’s muscle inflammation along with the joint issues…the muscle relaxers do help some.

JacksonJ said:

I had a pain in my side a few days ago. Couldn’t take a deep breath or move certain ways. It was as you described that I would be comfy for a while and had to shift around. The pain was intense when I moved too much or the wrong way. After a day and a half of that I took a Back and Muscle relaxer before bed. Woke up the next morning and no more pain.

I get all different types of back pain. I have my usual stiffness in my spine upon waking or sitting for periods. Also my middle back normally hurts. But only on the right side. Not sure what that is…but it gets worse from sitting or being still and that comes and goes. And then I get the type of pain that your talking about where its almost hard to stand up straight. It hurts in my lower back right over my tail bone. This comes and goes but can normally be alleviated mostly with rest. My hip hurts mostly when I press on it. Like not on my hip bone but right on the outside of it. If I sleep on it or press on it-it hurts really bad. I wonder all the time if these pains are related. Ahh…so confusing.

I have sciatic pain every day from my spinal fusion surgery, not from my PsA (got enough other pain from that beast!) Sciatic pain will USUALLY start in the lower back and go down the buttock, the back of the thigh like a nasty charly horse, and sometimes will stop at the knee or can go all the way to the foot, depending on which level of the disc in your back is being pinched (assuming this is the problem)...Sciatica will usually be aggrivated by sitting, walking, driving (from me as it is my right leg..ie, gas pedal, brake pedal..ouch!!) and I can get some relief from lying on my back with a pillow under my knees. I don't know if that helps describe it at all, but I did the best I can....excercise will likely make sciatica worse!!! I would get a spine xray if it persists more than a few days, just to be on the safe side. I hope you don't have it on top of everything else, it is a nasty piece of business!! Take care,

Hi Roni

You should tell your Dr or Rhuemy about it as it could be sacroiliitis which mimics sciatica pain sometimes. I have sacroiliitis and I have had a spinal fusion so the pain is there constantly but Im not sure which is which lol. Somedays its severe ++ other days tolerable but always severe when in bed/lying. I suggest you use heat packs with pain relief , taking anti inflammatories will help with both issues.