Is it Sacroiliitis?

Hello everybody,

I signed up two days ago and look! I already have a question...

My biggest problem is inflammation in my left hip. Happened 3 times so far. I had a not-so-bad flare up last week, partly because I started taking my antiinflammatory medicine immediately (my doctor said my condition was mild so right now I am only to take my medicine when I flare up). I took my medicine for 4 days and I was feeling OK, and I have a situation today which calls for my undivided attention (the medicine makes me a little confused and dizzy) so last night I didn't take it.

This morning I woke up with a limp. But before, the sacroilliitis pain used to be at a much lower spot, right where I believe my leg is attached to my hip/pelvis because I could feel the edema there when I moved my leg, and spread to my leg from there. This morning, it is closer to my spine, on the left side of my pelvis, the pain spreads both towards the front (inguinal region is what it's called I think?) and back. And all over my leg. The problem is, I also have scoliosis and two herniated discs. So I am confused. Because I also have a little burning sensation where it hurts, I am thinking it might be sacroiliitis. Does anybody else have problems with their sacroiliac joints? Is this sacroiliitis? Because I know it can affect the lower back. And the pain on my lower back is a little different from what I am used to.

Thanks in advance, I hope everyone is having a good day/night!

I have had only limited problems with sacroiliitis, but yes, it is very common with PsA. Obviously you have some complicating factors though. There is actually a lot of info on the site about it, including some stretches and other treatments. But with your history, you may want to be seen by your back doctor as well.

In the meantime, you can use cold, and also consider topicals. I like Icy Hot, but SalonPas is also popular. Lots of options on topicals.

Thank you Stoney, you are right, when I go to my hometown in January I might see my physical therapist and/or my orthopedist again with this new info. Maybe that might clear things up for me a bit. Or my home physical therapy routine might need some adjustments. Though I haven't been able to move around much since last month's big flare. I go downtown, do some chores, come home and sleep for a couple of hours before I can do anything else.

Yes I have all kinds of topicals at home, thanks to my back problems :) I never thought of them, I don't know why. I will definitely try that.

Stoney said:

I have had only limited problems with sacroiliitis, but yes, it is very common with PsA. Obviously you have some complicating factors though. There is actually a lot of info on the site about it, including some stretches and other treatments. But with your history, you may want to be seen by your back doctor as well.

In the meantime, you can use cold, and also consider topicals. I like Icy Hot, but SalonPas is also popular. Lots of options on topicals.

I have both axial and peripheral problems. My SI problems are easily to recognize; that slow burning in that v shape just above the butt. It does lead to numbness if it gets overly swollen. The pain that rotates around to the front is typically more of the hip than the SI area. That my experience with it.

Thank you and I'm so sorry for replying your message late.

Yep, it was definitely sacroilitis, because a few hours later the pain moved back to the middle of my buttock. But I think it is also triggering the pain in my lower back which is caused by my scoliosis and herniated disc since they are very close. Or maybe while I'm trying to protect my left hip I am assuming a posture which is not so good for my back.

Thank you again for your reply.

mataribot said:

I have both axial and peripheral problems. My SI problems are easily to recognize; that slow burning in that v shape just above the butt. It does lead to numbness if it gets overly swollen. The pain that rotates around to the front is typically more of the hip than the SI area. That my experience with it.