Fighting Inflammation

I need non-drug ideas for fighting inflammation. I was in the ER last Friday due to extreme amounts of inflammation in my neck, back and shoulders making it impossible to lift my arms and causing agonizing pain. After injections of narcotics and anti-inflammatories and a huge dose of prednisone, I was sent home with prednisone (50 on Sat, 40 on Sun, and so on - today was my last 10mg pill), vicodin and ibuprofen 800mg. I have liver issues and shouldn't be taking NSAIDS. My shoulders, neck, arms, and hands are inflamed again, and I have no idea what to do. I'm awaiting a call back from my doctor, who most likely won't be getting back to me until tomorrow. We leave Friday for a weekend out of state (not great timing, but already paid for!!!).

Any ideas?

Don't know how quickly this will work, but my dr. says fish oil in high amounts works against inflammation. Have you googled natural inflammation blockers? Arnica is one. There's a cream or little tiny balls that you can suck on.

My PCP says it's ok, fish oil!,....I take 2, 1000 units, with my supplements, like d, multi at lunchtime, with food....it's really helped with my hands..does thin the skin a bit, but helps with my fingers

Have you tried eating foods that have anti inflammatory properties. Wholegrains, Fish nuts & seeds, Oily fish, Leafy greens, crushed Flax seeds . Spices such as Ginger, Oregano, rosemary, cayenne, nutmeg and cloves.

Avoiding Foods that cause inflammation are saturated fats, refined sugars, red meat, dark poultry, butter, milk, processed meat, high fat cheeses.

If you increase the foods which have anti-oxidants this can help strengthen your immune system and repairs cells.

Foods rich in Vitamin C help boost your immune system.

Tomatoes and Guava's contain Lypocene which makes the anti-oxidants work more efficiently. Gogi berries are high in anti oxidants and can increase vitality and help restore health. Sometimes these foods make the joints ache a little more for a couple of hours and that is because the nutrients are working at fighting the cells that are doing harm and it is like a little war going on with the good guys knocking out the bad guys.

Anti oxidants destroy the free radicals responsible for weekening your defense cells.

Now in saying this, it is not that easy to shop and prepare food when you are in so much pain. It certainly can't do any harm and can only improve your general health. It takes time to get over a flare of inflammation and when it is that bad it seems like nothing works immediately because it takes time. Plenty of rest and try and find something to do that distracts you from focussing on the pain which I know is not easy but it can help.

I am going through a flare right now and this is my third day on Predisone and I feel worse after have to go out to the dentist yesterday which was such a big effort for me.

I have not been eating as well as I should and then the viscious cycle starts where I get worse. Then it is a big effort to go grocery shopping and getting myself a decent meal becomes a mamoth task. I cant be sure if this has contributed to my current flare. On so many other occassions I have noticed that when I feeling like my joints were aching more I would force myself to make a big effort in making juices and eat vegetables eating at least 5 vegetables and 3 fruits a day and I would improve. This time I have had added stress. The combination of stress and not eating as healthy as should may be the reason but I have no way of verifying this. It might just be the nature of this disease that comes and goes.

It is also important to eliminate stress, get plenty of fresh air and sunshine, gentle exercise and relaxation or meditation can help.

I hope this is something for you to think about. It can't harm you, it can only help your health in general and there may be an added benefit to your inflammation.

I wish you well

Having trouble typing, so this may be choppy - sorry!

I take fish oil daily. I take Vit D, B2, B6, B12, magnesium (all per doctors' orders). I have arnica both in "pill" form and cream.

I don't eat gluten, dairy, refined sugar, chemicals, hfcs, hydrogenated oils, trans fats, etc. I eat mostly veggies, some lean/organic meats. LOTS of greens.

I can't afford a spa, but that sounds heavenly!!! Our vacation is to a camp - staying in a heated cabin, spending lots of time outdoors doing various Autumny activities. I need to find my gloves.

I'm going to ask my husband to dig out my parrafin wax "spa" tonight so I can soak my hands. I took the "day off" tomorrow (not watching anyone else's kids - I was supposed to have a 2 year old in my care for 10 hours!!!) and will get the kids to do the rest of the packing and rest as much as possible. And call my rheumy AGAIN in hopes he'll actually get back to me. The poor guy just got back into the country after a vacation visiting family and comes back to my medical train wreck! LOL

It will work guranteed BUT be careful. Capiscan applied directly to the inflammed area will do the trick. The weenie ointments from the drug store may di the trick, but if you can get a pharmacist to make your own mix with DMSO - at least 5%. If you can get a hold of your Doc get a lidocain cream for travel at least.......

If you don't want to get near hubby raw peppers ( jalepeno at the lowest) rubbed directly on the bad areas. Wear gloves.

I joined a gym near my house for $500.00 a year, works out to $10 per week! And my husband is thrilled he doesn't need to clean it!

I use the parrafin bath, aren't they wonderful on your hands! I have heard you can dip your feet too though I never have.

I drink 4-8 oz of tart cherry juice in cranberry juice and ginger ale every night. The company is Knudsen and is about $10 a bottle. I buy it at a health food store. i do think it helps reduce inflammation though I am on Celebrex, methotrexate and Enbrel too. Good luck and I hope you really enjoy your time away nym.

The parrafin baths are amazing and there are a lot of use for them. They make hand mits that keep the wax warm. If you find a good rubber brush you can use it on your face, which is awesome if you get a sinus infection. It feels wonderful on your feet, and using the brush on your knees, shoulders, elbows, and hips they are all great too. I found 2 of them for 5 bucks at a flea market and another $10 for 100 pounds of wax, so I’m golden for awhile!

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1910028,00.html