Diet

Someone told me about certain foods that are good and not good for you. Anyone know of a special diet etc.

Thanks.

I went off of gluten and diary and red meat. I increased fruit and veg consumption. I take Turmeric (a natural supplement that is supposed to help with inflamation), evening primose oil, and fish oil. It is too early to tell if anything is working (this is my first major flare) but, I read that many others with inflammatory conditions do these with varying levels of results. I don't notice any diminishment of pain yet, but I did lose some unwanted pounds, which should in and of itself be helpful to my joints. :)

Thanks.

DMaraJade said:

I went off of gluten and diary and red meat. I increased fruit and veg consumption. I take Turmeric (a natural supplement that is supposed to help with inflamation), evening primose oil, and fish oil. It is too early to tell if anything is working (this is my first major flare) but, I read that many others with inflammatory conditions do these with varying levels of results. I don't notice any diminishment of pain yet, but I did lose some unwanted pounds, which should in and of itself be helpful to my joints. :)

As a basic healthy eating rule, eat things in as close to their natural state as possible. This means no/minimal processed foods. In addition, staying away from high fructose corn syrup, trans fats, hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils, monosodium glutamate (msg - it's a neurotoxin), and refined sugars is important.

There are different arthritis and anti-inflammatory diets and books on such diets. Some find removing gluten from their diet to be helpful (wheat, barley, rye, etc.). Some find removing dairy products (milk, ice cream, yogurt, items containing casein, whey and other dairy ingredients) helpful. Others find removing nightshades (white potatoes, eggplants, peppers, tomatoes) helps.

Dittos to what nym said. I almost forgot about some of these since I'd removed them from our diet years ago and it is second nature to me now. Most artifical sweeteners are also neurotoxic. Oh, and I try to drink lots more water, especially on mtx dosing day!

nym said:

As a basic healthy eating rule, eat things in as close to their natural state as possible. This means no/minimal processed foods. In addition, staying away from high fructose corn syrup, trans fats, hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils, monosodium glutamate (msg - it's a neurotoxin), and refined sugars is important.

There are different arthritis and anti-inflammatory diets and books on such diets. Some find removing gluten from their diet to be helpful (wheat, barley, rye, etc.). Some find removing dairy products (milk, ice cream, yogurt, items containing casein, whey and other dairy ingredients) helpful. Others find removing nightshades (white potatoes, eggplants, peppers, tomatoes) helps.

I second whoever seconded Nym..... GLUTEN in any form is bad as are oils (except maybe coconut or Olive) artificial sweeteners and most "carbs" in prepared foods.

I won't go so far as to say they are a cause OR an aggravator although they certainly are to me. But they can and DO effect how well your meds wotk (especially the DMRDS and NSAIDS).....

Those meds go through your liver to be processed. So do the above mentioned foods. Its pretty simple to figure out your liver can only do so much work. If its busy breaking "corn syrup" into something useful, it can't necessarily do a good job breaking down MTX to do its job or the Dicloflonec to do its. The same thing happens with a high Carb (bad carbs not fiber) Those are being broken down and you liver is less effective burning body fat (guess what happens then.)

Its not scientific but the folks I know who eat healthy and avoid bad carbs, glutens, etc. are doing better than those who don't is it the diet or is it the treatment being more effective? Who cares. there are OTHER benefits.

I was over 300# and disease at the worst Could be because I couldn't do anything who knows. Just with diet changes an not necessarily calorie reduction I have lost over 90# and still am losing. there aren't enough drugs or PT in the world to give me the increased mobility and ROM that weight loss did.

Also smoking and being around smokers SIGNIFICANTLY increase inflammation. (But boy do I miss it)

There are some good anti-inflammation foods..... (amazing what you can turn cauliflower and egg plant into.)

Hi JoAnn,

An Anti-inflammatory diet look up will give you lists, though most have explained this well. I think it can help if you are well enough to hunt down, shop for, and prepare all of this and stick with it. My DC highly recommends it, along with pharmaceutical grade vitamins and he sells a product called Inflamzyme, there is a regular and a PM one.

Let us know how you do with this, there is something in our environment causing this and it could very well be food allergies.

SK

I've read up on a lot of the diet suggestions. What seems to be common is to:

1) Decrease red meat consumption and increase cold water fish consumption (salmon, tuna, mackerel...)

2) Reduce/eliminate dairy as well as gluten.

3) Increase fruit antioxidants like blueberries, guava, pomegranate, etc.

4) Decrease citrus and cAMP stimulators (like vitamin C, biotin, etc.)

5) Increase natural anti-inflammatories like garlic and ginseng.

6) No alcohol or caffeine.

I'm a woman that loves her food, so any changes I make are gradual. On the plus side, I also don't smoke, don't drink or consume caffeine, and am not a fan of red meat to begin with.

Be careful with that alchol part. . . . .

There are limits to what evien I will do. (BTW that self measuring stopper on 1800 Tequila has acompletly different idea of what a shot is. But I did perfect a sugar free Margarita Recipie in honor of Cinco D l
Mayo. . . .

tnt, you are a wise one, I have read your stuff and you offer us sage advice.

Talk to me about Enbrel, will you? I just took my first shot Friday