Eyes

Good morning! Has anyone had issues with their eyes? I have woken twice now with blood red eyes....it's not "Pink Eye" or allergies.....feel very dry...

Just wondering if this is a new symptom or something else.....

Thanks

IRITIS! Makes your eye very red, and the giveaway is light sensitivity. It is common with psoriatic arthritis and must be treated by an eye doctor, which includes eye drops. If not treated it can cause other eye problems so see about it right away. I let mine get bad once and was sorry! My iritis was the clue to the psoriatic arthritis I have. It finally went completely away with Humera, but the eye doc sent me to a rheumatologist, and the rest is history. I still use drops every day, which is no big deal. A call to an eye doctor mentioning iritis should get you right in.

Yup, This is what started all the big issues for me ... couldn't read for nearly a year. Now I have glaucoma and sight lose because no one could figure out what was wrong. That was three years ago. Guess what- I just started my first MTX last Friday. That is how long it can take to convince people that this thing called PsA exists!!!!!

If I where you I would........

Get to your eye doctor and tell him about your PsA and how it can involve eyes and help him/her look it up on this site if necessary and get some meds before it gets bad. If you wear contacts call and ask about that first thing.

That was my experience because my eye doctor wanted to help but was not familiar with the issue so we worked together and cleared up the problem. He also convinced my primary I needed an MRI and here I am getting the meds I need with my Enbrel coming as soon as I finish my required six months on MTX. (INSURANCE). I also have a brand new primary and a new life.

For me it took a long bitter hard road to get to treatment . I hope and pray every day that my friends here do not have to suffer like that. Go get it looked at- better to be safe than sorry. You do not want to spend the rest of your life being disabled over a minor issue that is easy to fix now but hard if left until later. Take that from a "been there, done that, hated it friend" who really does care.:)

My first symptoms were iritis and uveitis. It's been a constant with me along with my PsA. When one flares, the other does too. Biologics helped with both.

You need to see an opthamologist asap and see them as often as you need to. PsA eye issues can lead to sight loss.

There are a lot of different issues that inflammation can cause in the eyes. It could be something as simple as blepharitis, but there are so many possibilities, and some can cause serious damage. Get checked out, before the weekend.

Pretty much, everyone said the same thing. Get thee to a doctor, and have it checked out.

Thanks everyone for your help! My eyes are better tonight...a bit dry feeling but unless they are much worse tomorrow I can't see me being able to get in with an Opthalmologist before the weekend....

Also, I did just get my eyes cked by an Optometrist...seemed very thorough but wasn't having an issue then.

FYI conditions can happen quickly. What is ok one day is messed up the next. If you have something wrong with your eyes they will not get better on their on. Nuff said

If it truly is uveitis then wouldn't it stay bad until fixed?

jennyb said:

FYI conditions can happen quickly. What is ok one day is messed up the next. If you have something wrong with your eyes they will not get better on their on. Nuff said

Maybe so maybe no. Have it checked out. I had iritis mostly, with some uveitis, the first time was over 30 years ago. I was convinced at one point that drinking beer really helped.....not. Only an eye doctor can tell. If you have psoriatic arthritis and your eye is red, you can stall, but it won't get better really. It was my opthamologist that figured out why I had recurrent iritis. It was psoriatic arthritis, who knew how long I had it. I had chemo therapy for another problem that put the psoriasis into remission. Long story short, eye doctor had me go to rheumatologist who diagnosed psoriatic arthritis, mostly due to a family history of it, history of psoriasis, and recurrent iritis. No more iritis for more than a year now, after having it off and on for more than 30 years. I have dry eyes as well as a dry mouth at night, but the dry eyes can never be mistaken for an eye inflammation like iritis or uveitis. I had a cataract removed, an implant inserted, no cataract on the other eye, working on macular "thickening" now, and this is with a lifetime of blue ribbon care. I've had pink eye and nothing feels like iritis. I've told you too much....just go to a doctor when you can. Waiting will not help.

Thanks Jenny....will do :)

jennyb said:

Maybe so maybe no. Have it checked out. I had iritis mostly, with some uveitis, the first time was over 30 years ago. I was convinced at one point that drinking beer really helped.....not. Only an eye doctor can tell. If you have psoriatic arthritis and your eye is red, you can stall, but it won't get better really. It was my opthamologist that figured out why I had recurrent iritis. It was psoriatic arthritis, who knew how long I had it. I had chemo therapy for another problem that put the psoriasis into remission. Long story short, eye doctor had me go to rheumatologist who diagnosed psoriatic arthritis, mostly due to a family history of it, history of psoriasis, and recurrent iritis. No more iritis for more than a year now, after having it off and on for more than 30 years. I have dry eyes as well as a dry mouth at night, but the dry eyes can never be mistaken for an eye inflammation like iritis or uveitis. I had a cataract removed, an implant inserted, no cataract on the other eye, working on macular "thickening" now, and this is with a lifetime of blue ribbon care. I've had pink eye and nothing feels like iritis. I've told you too much....just go to a doctor when you can. Waiting will not help.

It could be Blepharitis or Chronic Dry Eyes. The same way our joints swell, so can our eyes. Either way, go see an eye dr. I did and are receiving treatment. What is it that they say? "The eyes are the windows of the soul?"

Perfect timing on this post. My eyes have been dry, a bit blood shot every day (never had that before), really tired, and i feel like my vision is diminished. I am a terrible patient, and figure everything will get better on its own until something falls off. Thanks for the head up!

Bloomin heck, talk about timely. I have just logged on on my lunch break because I have dry eyes and had trouble focusing all morning, and decided to see if maybe there was something more to this, and maybe this was part of the whole catastrophe too. Thanks guys, I am off to the GP and might see if I can gat an appointment with the Rhumy sooner than planned

I have woken up with the same blood red only in one eye and then it goes away. My eyes have felt dry and sore as well. I am in a total flare right now. It is in my spine and feet the worst. I also ha e fibromyalgia and that is flaring as well. Rough couple of weeks.

See an eye doctor, or any doctor! Any doctor can look in your eyes and see inflammation! Could be iritis, or any number of things which seems to come and go, but not forever, and goes along with flare ups! It's easily treatable but serious. See to it!

What about a stye? Could it be related to PsA or just an aggravation? I’ve never had a style (or whatever it is) before. It’s aggravating me! Lol

I have had a stye, and it is an indication that something isn't right in your system, most likely PsA. It is an infection that you get in your eye and it is also nothing to play around with, besides, it hurts! If you have psoriatic arthritis, you should not brush off any infection, not saying you have, but have it looked after right away.

Absolutely! I thought it was allergy's however it ended up being dry eye's. I was waking up with sleepy eyes that looked very much like pink eye. I saw an eye doctor and he said inflammation of the eye and dry eyes. He said the duct gets plugged and that was what caused the eyes to guck up at night. You should see an eye doctor as eye involvement is common and can be serious.