Eye doctor. Kind of scarey!

I went to the eye doc. My old doc retired so I chose to go to the same clinic but a different doc that has good experience with aging eye issues as I am now 53 and my eyes are blurry even with my glasses on. I just thought it was dry eye or eye strain from computers and close work. I love to knit, make jewelery, paint and draw.

The new doc is as the nurse told me was not warm and fuzzy. I dont care as long as he is a good doctor. The nurse is a real sweet lady. The doc is like void of emotion. So deadpan. I thought this was ok with me but maybe I was wrong and I need some coddling.

The doc examined me and told me I have cataracts!! Now, I know this isnt a big deal for some people but It was a big surprise to me and I did not expect it.

The doc asked me if I was on prednisone now or ever had been and yes I was some years ago on and off for about 3-5 years? I am guessing. So he said that is probably why I developed the cataracts.

That was about it. He did not tell me much else and I did not have my usual presence of mind to ask questions. I was just stunned. I am a little bit sad too, I am not feeling very proactive these days. After 13 years of my health issues just getting worse and worse I am feeling overwhelmed.

And thats all I got to say about that.........

New eye doctor time. Seems like he should have at least offered you a print out with information about this new health issue so you didn’t have to depend on a scary google search (because all health problems are terrifying on google!). Seems like there’s more lacking with him than his personality.

Hope the dust settles soon.

Hmmm… I think overwhelmed should be listed as a symptom of this disease.

I have had cataracts since my 40's. They take time to develop and are also part of aging. Other things that can help them develop is UV rays (going out in the sun...) and trauma. My first cataract started in the eye that had two lasik procedures, but now at 50 I have them in both eyes. They are very treatable when they are bad enough with surgery. I have very rarely been on prednisone. Everyone will develop them if we are lucky enough to get old. I think that those of us who use our eyes more are simply more aware of the changes.