Exhaustion - anyone dealing with it

I had a bout of extreme exhaustion last September and October. My pain management Dr. put me on Lyrica. About the same time I became really tired. Every time I sat down I fell asleep. Yes we are talking face plant in my dinner. My wife pulled my driver's license because every time I sat at the wheel and we stopped at a light I would fall asleep. Most times I had to stop to let someone else drive.

I was not sure if it was a reaction to the Lyrica or if is was a sever bout PSA. My pain management Dr. stopped the Lyrica when she heard about my exhaution. The exhaustion stopped about 2 weeks after stopping the Lyrica.

Has anyone else had this problem.

I was so exhausted that I my doctor ran some more blood work and found my testerone level was really low. I am now doing shots and feeling better.

When my PsA is active I deal with overwhelming exhaustion. I have never been well controlled despite mtx and all the biologics. I have not tried Remicade yet but will be switching to it shortly. I have never been on Lyrica though I was on Gabapentin for a while. I find when the disease is active, warm swollen joints, I have increased exhaustion and trouble thinking and remembering. I do not think this is caused by the medications as I have been on and off so many. Not even the vicodin makes me tired nor affects my memory. It is when the inflammation is high that I have the troubles. If you can get the disease under good control you may find your fog lifting. I am not sure if this could be causing your exhaustion or not, this is just what I am dealing with lately thought it might help you but do talk to your doctor about it.

When inflammation is high I get extremely exhausted. Taking iron supplements, even though I'm not anemic, just on the low end of "normal" on tests, helps. Dr. also checked and my vitamin D was really low and I need to supplement that as well. I notice a difference if I miss those for a few days.

Your body is working very hard. When people have the flu, they sleep a lot. Our bodies are working hard with inflammation, it is natural we should get tired.

The more active the disease is the more fatigued I am. Right this moment, I'm under good control, so I'm not needing to take daily naps. When it's bad, I can't get through the day without laying down more than once, and sometimes will take a long nap by 10 in the morning. Yes, fatigue comes with inflammation.

Exhaustion is definitely a part of PsA. Today I'm actually taking an "exhaustion day" ... basically I ran a couple errands this morning, got home, and just couldn't keep my eyes open. I've taken two naps today and basically haven't done more than online stuff and sorting through a few bins of Christmas decorations.

Thanks for the input. I to am take vitamin D, and folic acid. But I am still exhausted. It is a bit better now my Dr. gave me an other shot of steroids which help with the pain. He wants to get me through some surgery next week so he took me off the Methotrexate till after the Carpel Tunnel surgery (both hands).

Marietta said:

When inflammation is high I get extremely exhausted. Taking iron supplements, even though I'm not anemic, just on the low end of "normal" on tests, helps. Dr. also checked and my vitamin D was really low and I need to supplement that as well. I notice a difference if I miss those for a few days.

Your body is working very hard. When people have the flu, they sleep a lot. Our bodies are working hard with inflammation, it is natural we should get tired.

I wasn't able to take the Lyrica when I tried it a few years ago, it made me super dizzy and high as a kite. But I do take Cymbalta for my fibro. And my PsA was just recently diagnosed. We tried mtx and after 2 doses I had to stop because of the additional exhaustion I had. When a fibro flare or now I guess maybe it's been PsA flares (or both) begins I get hit super hard with fatigue. To the point of sleeping 12-20 hours a day for weeks at a stretch. And I too can fall asleep quickly. I once took a sip of coffee and set down the cup and was asleep before I finished swallowing!! The choking is what woke me!

My rheumy said there is nothing to help with exhaustion. And most medications make it worse. Her only advice was to change my diet (other topic currently being discussed). And I had to keep from crying when she said that. Because although I seemed to do well with the change in diet, it also coincided with the mild weather when I don't usually have a flare anyhow. So when the weather changed I went back to total exhaustion.

I have read that TNF meds help with exhaustion.

Littleredhairedgirl- I did not mean to laugh out loud but I did when you wrote about the choking waking you! Too funny but all too true! I have been feeling bad as I am flaring and sleeping 12 hours a day with barely the energy to shower and dress. I have been on all the TNF except Remicade which I will probably be starting soon. My Rheumy's office is filling out the prior authorization to my insurance to start it. I have never been well controlled despite both biologics and mtx. I have been flaring a lot since August and getting a bit discouraged. But i have never fallen asleep sipping coffee! I love coffee so much I stay wide awake while I drink my pot per day! Too funny!

I've been exhausted non stop from the onset. I wake up in the morning and go relight back to sleep on the couch for most of the day. Fortunately tromodol has the side effect of waking me up and negating the exhaustion. I essentially function normally between the hours of 6pm to around 10-10:30 pm.

I think when our PsA is under better control the exhaustion will lift. During a flair it is the worst so it makes sense to me when it lifts so will the exhaustion. At least that is what I am hoping.

michael in vermont said:

Littleredhairedgirl- I did not mean to laugh out loud but I did when you wrote about the choking waking you! Too funny but all too true! I have been feeling bad as I am flaring and sleeping 12 hours a day with barely the energy to shower and dress. I have been on all the TNF except Remicade which I will probably be starting soon. My Rheumy's office is filling out the prior authorization to my insurance to start it. I have never been well controlled despite both biologics and mtx. I have been flaring a lot since August and getting a bit discouraged. But i have never fallen asleep sipping coffee! I love coffee so much I stay wide awake while I drink my pot per day! Too funny!

Lyrica made me so tired!! Gabapentin too. Yes - I totally relate to falling asleep at the table, mid sentence, whatever. It was freaky & funny. I am already totally fatigued from the illness, and was amazed to find another level of sleepiness.

Yes to the Lyrica!...I took it for some nueropathy in my foot,after a knee surgery

No generic for it, yet, right?..it's expensive

and the docs give out samples of 75 mg...and take that 2-3 times a day?....they have 25mg of lyrica..it has to be started slow

it does make us sleepy, dizzy...i'm off of it now, i prob should not have quit cold turkey ( after a surgery)....but it made me sleep a lot,and i gained weight

did the cheaper version, nuerontin also, would rather have lower mg on it, isntead of 600mg 3 x a day....too hard...they even have a 100mg of it

i'm on cymbalta also, wouldnt dare take it in the evening...i get insomnia

Exhaustion city at the moment! Like Michael I’ve been in a flare since August. I get to bed early but sleep quality is poor because the SI pain wakes me early hours and shoulders protest when I turn over. I’m still working and sleep most of my days off and have been having cat naps in my breaks at work. I’m getting very tearful so I know I’m near to having to go sick from work as I’m not coping…my boss asked me if I had constidered a ‘career break’ then I could claim benefit until I recovered!!! Wish it was that easy! Lol
Being on 25mg MTX adds to the fatigue on the 2 days after dosing.
I find the pain easier to handle than this mind numbing, dragging exhaustion.

I am so sorry Louise, seems we are in the same boat lately. I too am dealing with mind numbing fatigue. I am sleeping lots but sometimes I make myself get up but then I just sit there! Not much of an improvement! And my sisters are being just awful, is winter over yet?

You’re so right Michael, we seem to be sisters in flare at the moment. I’m sorry too that your sisters and mother are adding to your emotional pain…its easy to say to ignore them but not so easy to do. I’m lucky that I’ve dealt with most of my family problems over the last few years, and I have my support network to support me and I know you do too. That’s all we can hold onto. The hurt doesn’t go away but you can choose how you deal with them…I keep my brother and aunt at arms length, sad but true X

Thank you Louise. One of my sisters has stage 3 or 4 cervical cancer so I am forced into contact with that part of my family. I have tried to keep my fear about her diagnosis to myself but as an old nurse (yes me too!) I am struggling with that. My mother wanted to give something (wood stove implements) to her for xmas. My mother being my mother, called me to find them, buy them and pay for them to give to my sister. I got upset with mom who is totally unaware of my disability (the last time I offered to send her information she told me she really wasn't interested :-( ) I told my mom to just give them to her she may not have many Christmases left. Now everyone is mad at me. All three of them feel there is nothing wrong with me, it is all in my head, and my sister thinks I am wishing her dead. And I feel horrible. I do not wish my sister dead, I was having day dreams of us being close again. But it seems I have really blown it. And despite my profuse apology I am getting the silent treatment. Silent night, holy night........ Better to laugh than to cry:-(

When you reply to posts on here I can tell you wouldn’t say anything to deliberately hurt anyone, sometimes things need to be said and no matter how you say it an unwilling ear will hear it in the worst way possible.
The trouble with having some medical knowledge is people expect you to tell them what’s what, but it can backfire when they don’t like what you say.
I’m thinking of you and hope and pray you get some peace with your family problems x

Thank you Louise. I was planning on spending the day of her surgery at Mass General in prayer. Perhaps I should start right now (if I can get down on my knees.....)