Exercise:(

I just picked up a treadmill today! I got a used treadmill so when I don't use it I won't feel as bad(haha). I don't get how someone can buy something, have it for three years and, the thing still have ALL the stickers and tags left on it... I mean even those clear plastic protective stickers?! It sucks because I can't take them off NOW!

So, I picked it up...I got it home...I set it up next to my multi-gym (that I don't use)...made sure everything worked...plugged the mp3 to it and listened to a cadince...THEN..............UPS knocked at the door with my Enbrel.

I'm sitting on the couch now with no plans on getting up.

Picking it up was enough work for the day. You'll walk on it tomorrow.

It’s really hard to start working out specially when you’re in pain but it’s so worth it. You’re body will thank you and you will start feeling better after a few days. Don’t over do it and don’t give up. Good luck!!

Thanks Stoney and Monica. We moved from Santa Cruz about 7mos ago. Next door (literally) was a nature park and I walked all the time...the weather was always nice and I could hear/see the ocean and sea lions. North Hollywood is a little different! I would rather walk on a treadmill.

Monica, You're right about feeling better! It's been seven months since I exercised, it might-as-well have been seven years! I was starting to feel pretty damn good to....I can't wait (but, I will) to get started again. Thanks

My mind seems to say frequently, ohhhhh get up & exercise - ya gatta do it… My body says, are you crazy… aint no way no how im getting off this darn comfy couch!!! But it seemed to be bad afer enbrel…

When I make myself move and go to the gym my day is so different . Everything feels better and I am not angry ! I may not exercise the way I use to and sometimes I can only do 10 minutes but it is 10 minutes ! Just hop onto that machine and see if you feel better ! The hardest part is putting on your sneakers !

Hi Robert - you can do this. My wife tries to workout everyday and swears it is the key to her being able to get through the day. Walk, run, crawl ;) she tries to get her body moving. Endorphins are natural painkillers and exercise releases them...lots of them. So start slow and go, go, go.

Patience, Persistence and Perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/persistence.html

JD

I bought a new treadmill last August…I use it almost everyday…it hasn’t been easy and I’m still waiting for meds that work for me…Humira isn’t doing the trick…oh there is many days I don’t feel like using it…and few days I don’t…just try for 20 minutes…you can do it for 20 minutes…I believe you can…make a plan…start maybe doing it 3 times a week…good luck.

That's good you bought it. Good for you! It's also good you are looking forward to it. You'll try again soon, Im sure of it. I like to go for walks with my family all yr round in the neighbourhood and on trails. We bike ride in the warmer months. I also like to go to the swimming pool. I used to swim more but with young kids I stay with them in the shallow area and help them...but Im still active. It's a good idea to keep active.. it's fun too, & it makes you feel better all around..It's not just good for your joints but for your mind. if you can do it...but you should stop when you feel pain...and you shouldnt start exercise when you are in pain. I used to be able to walk a lot farther than I do now but Im not complaining because I still can go for good walks as long as I dont rush. I used to like to skip and do jumping jacks but that's out of the question now. It's too painful & I injure easily now. I guess I'll stick to walking and swimming and bike riding...which are easier on the joints, low impact. I just like to do these things for fun...i take my time and it works out for me. Anything aerobic or fast paced or high impact I know I'll be in trouble (frm past experiences). In fact I was diagnosed with PsA shortly after the last time I tried aerobic exercise =) I was being treated for the injury and found out at the same time I had arthritis. I would like to try aerobic activity again but maybe once Im on enbrel and only when I know its working for me. For now Im happy being active in the ways I can at this time. Ive learned to pace myself and I can do a lot of things.

SWIM! I have a membership and have been too depressed to go regularly for the past two months!

Have a treadmill too..four miles a day ,I lost about 30 pounds and wore down the cartilage in my right hip!!!!!!!!!!

New study about a year ago said forty somethings with mild arthritis can destroy their joints on impact exercise equipment.

BTW i gained the weight back, lost it after the operation THR.....Gained it back but figure I will lose it again when the Left hip is replaced........

the embrel is supposed to keep the joints from being destroyed ....does it?

I love everyones replies!

I'm putting my gym together so I don't have to go anywhere and do it. I don't want to be around people who "pump some iron" or run around all normal and stuff. It makes me feel like I'm being watched or judged. Plus, I can do my thing and if I feel sick or tired I can sit down, pass out, get dizzy and fall over who cares!! I'll atleast be comfortable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with it but, I used to rollerblade, mountain bike, hike trails...I look at it now as living more conservatively. We still go to the mountains almost every weekend but, now I take naps, drive on we'll say less-bumpy trails and eat more junk food. Hell, sometimes I sleep the entire weekend:)

Anyway, I didn't get it to do hardcore running. I plan on walking and if things go well the most I'll try is double-time. I just NEED more movement.

It's interesting how you said you "don't want to be around people who "pump some iron" or run around all normal and stuff. It makes me feel like I'm being watched or judged". I can relate but instead of a gym it was a gentle aquafit class that I participated in.

I enrolled in a gentle aquafit class last yr.. I was pre-PSA diagnosis, pre-medication...I didnt know what was going on-my foot was not normal. My family dr only suspected it could be arthritis. Went to physio for a few sessions, & was waiting for the referral for a rheumatologist to go thru so he could investigate my symptoms further. I wanted to try aquafit because apart frm walking, light swimming with the kids and leisure bike riding around town...I wasnt doing much more...because I couldnt take a chance. I was prone to injury and pain (now I know that its due to my arthritis)....i was the youngest in the gentle aquafit class and i wouldnt mind but I wasnt that young, i was 33. They were all seniors and I felt people were judging me and wondering why i took that class. Little did they know. I could do everything except one thing in the water and that made me so frustrated. It was a good pace that class for me & it was right for me considering my physical issues but i felt akward for the simple reason I had no one my age there. I was hoping no one thought i was lazy or enrolled in the wrong type. In the changerm before class would start, the other women would talk about their arthritis and how they are managing. I thought to myself why am i here...i dont have arthritis, well i didnt have the diagnosis yet. That is all. So my reasons for not enrolling in another semester of gentle aquafit were different from your reasons not joining a gym...the other people in the class were like me but they were much older and that made me feel so uncomfortable. I hate to say this.

Ive heard the same. High impact exercise is not good on our joints. Low impact is good for you though, like swimming & walking when you dont feel any pain and people can pace yourself depending on their situation. It's important to keep active when you can..again i emphasize when people are not in pain. Im sorry you have been depressed. Maybe you can find someone who likes to swim or like to take a dip in the water at least , to go with you. Maybe after going once , you will find the 2nd time going easier. I know I need to do my sit ups again...that wont negatively impact my arthritis in my case. Im just lazy. When im on enbrel and if i can id like to do more than walking, swimming and the leisure bike riding in my neighbourhood or at least do more of it. Right now these are the activities i do and can do comfortably on most days. I am glad because Ive always been active and would hate to lose these things to disability/or permanent damage later on. I guess my dr knows what he is doing by wanting me to go on enbrel.

Marie said:

SWIM! I have a membership and have been too depressed to go regularly for the past two months!

Have a treadmill too..four miles a day ,I lost about 30 pounds and wore down the cartilage in my right hip!!!!!!!!!!

New study about a year ago said forty somethings with mild arthritis can destroy their joints on impact exercise equipment.

BTW i gained the weight back, lost it after the operation THR.....Gained it back but figure I will lose it again when the Left hip is replaced........

the embrel is supposed to keep the joints from being destroyed ....does it?

Your post inspired me! It’s been a little over 2 years since I. Was diagnosed. PrIor to that I exercised pretty regularly on my eliptical. I also have some light weights at home. However, once diagnosed, I haven’t set foot on it. Since it’s low or no impact, I think iwill start using it again. My issue about using the gym is that I’m very self conscious aboutmy psoriasis. …I have a lot on my arms. I can wear long sleeved clothes at work but not to work out! I’ve put on some weight and am doing weight watchers and now I’m inspired to work out again thanks to yourpost. Thank you!

I know how you feel. The swelling in my hand lately keeps me from doing many things. I have a treadmill and used to jog but have decided to start walking instead. Don't want jogging to create more problems.

It's ok....go for it tomorrow. Start off slow if you want...just walk as long as you can. Then if you feel like it gradually walk for longer.

I find if I don't do it right when I get home....once I sit for a while, I'm not getting up either.:)

I did six miles on my tread mill the other night. I would have done more but one of the wheels on my skate board froze up.

Hey Debi! Now you need to get another recumbant bike so you can go on bike rides together.

Tell your husband congrats on the weight loss.

TNT, Be careful! You don't want to break a hip on that skate board. Maybe you should try an office chair instead (haha)!

Okay time to confess , I am guilty of not exercising :0( Right now it's hard because I had a torn rotator cuff repair as well as a torn bicep removed from the shoulder attachment and reattached into my arm a month ago, So my exercise for that right now is PT x12 weeks. So I could do lower body work BUT no I can't because I have very intense pain from plantar fasciitis and tibial tendonitis. The foot issue has slowed me down so much the past year I have gain about 12 pounds ( Hope my husband doesn't read this !). In the past 6 months I have been in a walker boot twice, a cast for 6 weeks, PT and currently in an Arizonia brace. Now I am enrolled in a clinical trial using Botox injected into the trigger point. Started it today, the injection wasn't to bad. I'm hoping this will get me able to walk again . So how do I exercise, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ! I know patience is the key after surgery, but patience does not help when I step on the scale. Advice please I want to be like all of you....motivated and not sitting around doing nothing. I admire all for working through the pain, keep going .

yes mine is sitting next to me in the living rm. I may get up and I may not lol

Babs if I could be comfortable on the couch I woul be planted there. Problem is it hurts too long in one position so i am always up and repositioning . Sleeping longer than four hours at a time is also a huge problem .Hence, I am on the computer or walking around .The strangest sensation I have noted is that even my head feels heavy on a pillow. All body parts feel as if they are sensing too much pressure whether sitting or lying down. it is a mental fight against depression to get to the pool in the morning as the hours are limited. Depression is not just from the pain but also from finances and worry about loss of income as we age. Nsg is out of the question for me now so I feel helpless in assisting husband financially. after he lost his job and it took two and half years to find another over a decade ago, i relive the fear daily. now with the threat of the changes for ssi in the alleged fiscal cliff , we have no idea what is coming. Am hearing from older retired friends who depend on Medicare and social security that they are in big trouble financially so that does not help mood.

One friend is just like you boot and all and she called me in tears two days ago. I help by just listening......The healthcare situation in this country is abysmal and getting worse due to the economy.

Can anybody recommend a confortable mattress choice?