Enbrel

Hi guys
I have been on methotrexate since February and everytime I come off the steroids Ive been on with them cause of a flare up I get another bad flare up in my ankle and big toes. Just off steroids again and feel pain coming back so was with rheumatologist today who said the methotrexate not working well enough alone so starting me on enbrel wit it. So who out there is on enbrel. Has it helped at all? I’m desperate to have this more under control…thanks a million guys, Maeve

Dear Mov,

It is great, I am only 9 shots in and feel a big difference. Full affect is supposed to be 12 weeks, but I am hoping I continue to feel better even after that. Of course it clears up the small stuff first, but it does help the worst of it too. Had we not had all of these raging storms, and needed so much A/C, I expect I would feel much better than I do! I am very over due for the Chiropractor, so that needs to be part of the perspective too. See him next Monday, and will most likely have at least one or two quick follow ups.

I wish you well, glad that you got to it, I know my Rheumatologist told me that I had to try the SZ and MX before the biologics, according to Insurance. Hope it 'does the trick' for you and gets you on the road to better health. There are many here who use it and get good results, sure hope you can be one of us!

SK

Hi Maeve,

like SK, I'm also pretty new to enbrel. I am a few shots behind her. However, I have found it to help me already too. I use to have pain in my hands and that is gone now. The Ps on my scalp is disappearing. the patchs over my body seam to be getting better too. I still have, neck, back, hip and feet pain at about the same level as before. It would be great if these pains went away, but just having reduced scalp issue is huge for me. I hope you have great success with enbrel.

Joel

Hi thanks so much for your responses. I just want something to work. I can feel my ankle starting up again and really don’t want to get to the point were I can’t walk without crutches which happens too often. I’m an active person snd used to run a lot before all this and would like to think maybe I can get back to it but in meantime have taken to swimming and cycling as less impact. Supposed to ve competing in a track race on my bike tonight and not so sure it’s a good idea the way ankle feels right now… I like everyone else here, don’t want this holding me back and cdn get so frustrated . So yeh thanks for positive responses. It helps to read and hope it helps me. I have to have a chest X-ray and a skin test first. I wonder how long all this takes so I can get started. I don’t like how my ankle is feeling snd may need the steroids again!! Like I never seem to be able to stay off them. I hope I can if the enbrel helps. Once again, thanks a million… May it continue to help you guys also :slight_smile:

HI..I have been on mtx, for 17 yrs !......I can tell you, that i took Mtx,plaquenil, NSAIDS, prednisone....and once they threw in Sulfa ( can't spell that one..LOL)..so that was triple DMARDS..and that was from 1995- to 2000

Enbrel came out about 1999?...Well once i started on Enbrel, it was my miracle...I took myself off the steroids, 1 mg less a week..Rheummy was all worried i messed up my cortisol levels, and did lab test for that..I was fine

I got a fast response from Enbrel....hope you do as well!

Good luck

I

Wow some of you don’t get jn the enbrel for a lIng time. For me I really don’t think the mtx is working and said it to my rheumy yesterday. Everytime I come off the steroids I’m in pain and surprise surprise off the steroids 4 days now snd my ankle is flaring up again. I want to stop that in its tracks before it gets to the point I can’t walk so left voicemail in my rheumys phone saying I need steroids . It made me laugh cause got voicemail back saying prescription in the post. But joking aside I’d prefer not to be on them but have no choice cause mtx doesn’t seem to be doing much. So anyway your posts are encouraging about the enbrel and I really pray this is the break I need… Get off the steroids and get back to my active lifestyle without constant setbacks… Here’s hoping :slight_smile: cheers all!!

We're all pullling for you, hope the Enbrel is an instant success for you!

Hi,,yes Enbrel the first biologic out there........before that there was the DMARDS, plq, mtx, sulfa, and prednisone, and NSAIDS....before the gold shots

my mom had RA/lupus...she got the gold shots...she got in pretty well controlled in her hands, years before she passed

You will read about a lot of ppl having bad luck with mtx....but i am sure at least 80% of patients have good luck..we get our labs to check things.

I am one that has good luck with mtx, and when i was pulled offa it. for 3 months, OMG....if that was tendon pain or what,....almost worse than the RA pain, i have both. When it comes to a point i can't lift my arm to shower use the CHarmin, have achy swollen hands keeping me up at night....I bring out the prednisone...I gotta do what i gotta do!

Have to function, but am sure we have all been there....You know it can get so bad, it can be hard to hold a fork to eat!

good lucke

Hi Mov, I'm doing methotrexate and embral also folic acid. I still have little pain. The joint's that were totally damaged didn't change but if i was not on methotrexate and embral i would not be able to walk at all. I know i will never be able to run because of severe foot damage from arthiritis but i can swim and ride a bike. I also loved to be active that's changed. I also feel too young at fifty two to have this life changing desease. I do feel that the embral has helped even my psoriasis. I hope you have great success with the embral.

Yes, I know I have been bad, and hope to never go through that again. I have heard of the gold shot and of people getting good results.

tkrlady said:

Hi,,yes Enbrel the first biologic out there........before that there was the DMARDS, plq, mtx, sulfa, and prednisone, and NSAIDS....before the gold shots

my mom had RA/lupus...she got the gold shots...she got in pretty well controlled in her hands, years before she passed

You will read about a lot of ppl having bad luck with mtx....but i am sure at least 80% of patients have good luck..we get our labs to check things.

I am one that has good luck with mtx, and when i was pulled offa it. for 3 months, OMG....if that was tendon pain or what,....almost worse than the RA pain, i have both. When it comes to a point i can't lift my arm to shower use the CHarmin, have achy swollen hands keeping me up at night....I bring out the prednisone...I gotta do what i gotta do!

Have to function, but am sure we have all been there....You know it can get so bad, it can be hard to hold a fork to eat!

good lucke

since i first posted this about the enbrel im having horrible flare up in my ankle and big toe...such pain :( my doctor posting me out prescription for more steroids and i have to get the skin test before going on the enbrel so in the meantime does anyone have advice for now to ease the pain..was thinking heat pads?

Hi Mov,

Heat alway helps me, my toes do not bother, me most of mine is spinal, SI, left knee, ankle and ball of foot, spinal is the oldest and worst. I use an OTC Sports cream that really does help the pain, but you cannot use that with heating pads. Soaking my foot in very warm water epsom salt water always helps me too.

I have a prescription for morphine as well, Opana, Doc wants me to use it as a maintence drug, I only use it when the pain is intractable. Everyone is different and so are the Docs, I can only tell you what works for me.

I hope this is a help to you, and I hope that you feel better very soon!

SK

i have a heat pat on at the moment and trying to rest it...I have the sports creams too so will try them. ..thanks for your replies..its very much appreciated..nobody else really gets it..cheers :)