Enthesitis and Embrel

I started embrel 5 months ago and it seems to be helping my neck for the most part. It’s doing nothing for the enthesitis in my hands, wrists, ankles and feet. The pain and inflammation is getting out of control.

Are there any other biologics that help with joint pain and enthesitis? I tried Remicade and it was like taking a placebo…

Any ideas would be appreciated!

I take Enbrel and I also take injected Methotrexate. Enbrel can take a while to be effective, so don’t give up yet. I find the Methotrexate helps with peripheral symptoms. I also take Celebrex twice a day. This combo works well for me.

Yes, Betty, it took a good nine or ten months before I felt that Enbrel was helping my feet. Very frustrating, but I think that you’re going to have to play the patient patient for a bit longer. From what I understand, it takes longer for the extremities to respond. (Don’t ask me why I say that, I just kind of have a vague notion that I was told this at some point.)
Others may be able to be more specific than I.

Give it time but you may need something to compliment the Enbrel.

For me it was my hands and for the most part, after almost a year on Enbrel, it never completely helped my hands or my foot. I felt a lot better but was still only at about 85 %.

I would still have flares, redness and burning in certain joints and a lot of tendon pain and pulls.

Then in February I changed my diet. Now I'm up to 98 % pretty much all the time. Any short flares I get last only hours. No redness, no sudden painful pulls in my wrists and fingers. There is still damage of course I cannot help at this point and limits to what I can due because of this damage.

You could try to talk to your doc about it.

I am interested in how you changed your diet? I am considering Enbrel but I also want to make other changes...

Dini said:

Give it time but you may need something to compliment the Enbrel.

For me it was my hands and for the most part, after almost a year on Enbrel, it never completely helped my hands or my foot. I felt a lot better but was still only at about 85 %.

I would still have flares, redness and burning in certain joints and a lot of tendon pain and pulls.

Then in February I changed my diet. Now I'm up to 98 % pretty much all the time. Any short flares I get last only hours. No redness, no sudden painful pulls in my wrists and fingers. There is still damage of course I cannot help at this point and limits to what I can due because of this damage.

You could try to talk to your doc about it.