Double vision

I'm plagued with double vision the past few days and increasing brain fog. What's going on here? It's extremely difficult to look at things close up as well as far away. And, I've felt light headed off and on lately. My nose is a little stuffy but I don't think it's a head cold--it's mostly likely due to the dry air.
I intend to get some B vitamins that hopefully can help this annoying brain fog. I'm so frustrated with the blurred/double vision, ringing in my brain and the stiffness that's creeping back into my life. Ugh.
Sorry, lately I'm always complaining.

Oh dear, that does not sound good Grandma J. I know you've also previously reported ziz-zag lines around your vision, they are definitely symptoms of a migraine aura, and when they occur without the headache developing it is known as a 'silent migraine'. I had one for the first time a few months ago and it scared the living daylights out of me before I knew what it was .... now, I'd take that over the pain and nausea anytime.

My lightheadedness and brain fog has crept back a bit as well, I've wondered whether it is connected to my bio not working so well but sometimes also tiredness, a bit of depression and stress maybe. I have tinnitus as well so the ringing in my head is also a constant companion, for me it was worst when my high blood pressure wasn't very well controlled. I've asked several times whether it could be connected to the PsA and each time been blown off by the docs .... but I've gotta feeling!!!!!!

Try to relax a bit, slow down and see if this helps.

Sounds like we have some identical problems, Jules! I also had high bp but it's controlled with Amlodipine very well. That's exactly why I hate talking to my doctor about these issues--they run a couple tests which turn out normal and then they blow you off as if to say, nothing we can find so just deal with it!

The silent migraine thing is very scary when you don't know what it is. Years ago when it first happened, nobody had heard of it. Several years went by and then I had it start happening while I was shopping. That was before I used a debit card. I was attempting to write a check and couldn't see the point of my pen--my 'central vision' was obscured by the bright light. So scary! Then I had to drive home!

It's so much more comforting to discuss these things on here than to tell my family--they'll just get all worked up and tell me to go to the doctor! :-/ I'm having a very relaxing day and trying to do some puzzle books and drawing, which are my favorite pastimes (not as easy when you can't see straight, tho!).

Grandma J, I don't want to scare you, but last December, my husband started experiencing double vision. He was diagnosed with a 6th nerve palsy and finally had the conclusion that this was caused by a slight stroke. He (now a year later) still experiences some double vision. An MRI or CT Scan can verify if or if not there has been any brain issue. If it was me I would seek medical care to confirm whatever diagnosis might be causing this.

Prayers this clears up quickly for you.

Alma

Thanks Alma.
I guess I should have it checked out then. I’ve been having a hard time reading and using my tablet. I hope it’s safe to wait til Monday. I really don’t want to go to the ER. I was guessing that this might have something to do with my intake of sweets. I’ve been eating a lot of Christmas treats the past week.

Alma said:

Grandma J, I don’t want to scare you, but last December, my husband started experiencing double vision. He was diagnosed with a 6th nerve palsy and finally had the conclusion that this was caused by a slight stroke. He (now a year later) still experiences some double vision. An MRI or CT Scan can verify if or if not there has been any brain issue. If it was me I would seek medical care to confirm whatever diagnosis might be causing this.

Prayers this clears up quickly for you.

Alma

GrandmaJ hope you are feeling better today. Please keep us informed.

Hi Alma. Actually it is a lot better today, thank you! I did get tons of rest this weekend–more than ever, and I think that has helped. I don’t want to go to the doctor if not necessary, so now I’ll wait and see if my vision gets weird again before I go in. Where did someone mention they take prednisone for tinnitus? That is a constant problem for me, but not sure I’d want to take prednisone.

Alma said:

GrandmaJ hope you are feeling better today. Please keep us informed.

GrandmaJ, glad to hear you are feeling improvement. I don't have any experience (thank goodness) with tinnitus, so am not helpful there. Take care and have a safe Happy New Year.

Alma

Thank you, Alma! You, too! It's been a very relaxing week since Christmas, which I think is why I got over the dizziness and blurred vision. The tinnitus....well, that's just one of those annoyances in life that I can put up with. At least it's not painful!

I'm just being worried and wimpy these days!

Wow, it's New Year's Eve! Especially for all of you on the other side of the world. Happy New Year to everybody!

Alma said:

GrandmaJ, glad to hear you are feeling improvement. I don't have any experience (thank goodness) with tinnitus, so am not helpful there. Take care and have a safe Happy New Year.

Alma

Call your rheumatologist. I had massive headaches on Enbrel, but my vision was fine. Not saying this has anything to do with Enbrel, but migraines are known issue. It’s at least worth a call.

I'll try not to worry TOO much--can't promise I won't worry, though haha!

Omg, exactly an hour after I wrote that last comment I had the blurred vision again. Could this be a PsA symptom with my eyes? I had an eye exam mid-summer and my prescription didn't change much and I have no eye diseases--just that little vitreous detachment in both eyes, which causes flashes of light and floaters in both eyes. But not blurred vision.

I don't think Enbrel is causing this because Enbrel really doesn't give me any SEs. I'm just kind of annoyed. I thought it stopped for good a few days ago. When things keep recurring, I guess it's time to see the doctor about it.

Hi Grandma J, I get blurred vision from PsA, but it is only to the level that faces are a bit fuzzy but still recognizable at 5-10m, and street signs, which I can usually read from ages away, are blurry until I’m almost upon them when driving.

I’ve been to an optometrist a few times since getting PsA, and he hasn’t seen anything serious - he pointed out that there is quite a bit of the type of tissue (forgotten the name) that is susceptible to inflammation surrounding the eyes (like the tissue in your eyes when you get sinusitis), and this can create pressure on your eyes which makes them a bit blurry without anything more sinister.

Though it’s probably one of there more innocuous things, you do need to get a medical opinion however - the more serious side effects with the eyes and PsA need treatment or there can be permanent damage to sight.

GrandmaJ, just a thought. I read on another thread that you are on nortriptylene now. Could the vision changes be a side effect of that?

I was on Nortriptyline for about a year but not on it now. I did wonder at the time if that's what caused my vitreous detachments in both eyes. The opthalmologist told me the vitreous gel dries up as we age and it's natural....except it shouldn't happen suddenly like mine did-and it happened when I was about 58. He wouldn't admit the Nortriptyline caused it. I was also on Nexium at that time (which I don't take anymore either).

This blurred/double vision is different. I tend to put off seeing the doctor when symptoms come and go. It's so hard to talk to them about it when it's not actively occurring.

Seenie said:

GrandmaJ, just a thought. I read on another thread that you are on nortriptylene now. Could the vision changes be a side effect of that?