Does anyone know if methetrexate is helpful for osteoarthritis?

The methetrexate is working much better now and I am taking less pain meds. I also have osteoarthritis. Does anyone know if methetrexate is helpful for osteoarthritis? I have had a hip replacement and I will eventually need another.

Hi Andy,

So glad you posted, so sorry I have no personal experience with Osteoarthritis. I did take MX for 3 months, but it was not helpful to me. I now take Enbrel for PsA.

Hopefully someone else can help you out here. Hope that you are having a good day, a pain free day!

SK

Hi Andy, like you I also have osteoarthritis (right knee) and I've been on Methotrexate for almost 3 years. Unfortunately, osteoarthritis is often the end result of PsA which has attacked that particular joint(s) and left little to no cartilage left. Methotrexate will only really help with the effects of PsA and not Osteo. My rheumy has me doing physio, taking fish oil and Vitamin D to try and reduce the damage from the Osteo. He also has me walking regularly and I certainly agree with the "use it or lose it" philosophy, I find sitting for long periods make walking a lot more painful initially (and I have to wait another 20 years before I can get a knee replacement!)

Glad to hear Methotrexate is working for you.

Hi Andy, if you look up the detail on merthotrexate, you’ll find that it’s got two major modes of efficacy in systemic inflammatory arthritis. It is an immunosuppressant, but also has powerful anti inflammatory effects that are not really understood. Whilst the side effects would generally preclude prescribing it for osteoarthritis, if you are already taking it, th anti-inflammatory effects would most definitely be positive!