Differences/Similarities between Rheumatoid and PsA

Anytime I try to explain this disorder, I always just say that it is similar to rheumatoid. Though, I, myself, don't know the differences/similarities of the two. I didn't think there was much of a difference except adding skin to PsA.

If any of you can enlighten me or educate me on this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

You might find this article helpful

http://psoriasis-cure-now.org/psoriatic-arthritis-info.php

If you're talking to someone who wants the 25-words-or-less explanation, "It's a lot like rheumatoid" probably works just fine!

Erosions are common with RA. I don't think PsAers (is that a word?? Is now!) get nodules like the RAers. There are differences in lab results: RA often produces positive RF and anti-CCP results, while a lack of any aberrant blood tests is part of the diagnostic criteria for PsA. PsAers get the nasty skin and nail problems, and have a brother in Phil Mickelson, while the RAers get Lucille Ball.

If you don’t want to get too technical just say you have arthritis as some people might not know what ra is either. I only have a small patch of psoriasis on my scalp and the joint issues are sometimes symmetrical. It varies. Other diff with Psa is testing neg for ra. Also the sausage digits are good confirmation for psa.

I have found that simply saying arthritis means that people will think osteoarthritis, and will say that their knee hurts sometimes, or something similar. I say I have autoimmune arthritis, and frequently don't get more of a question. These days I tend to get more attention, as I'm typically wearing a thumb splint. If someone asks me about it, I'll typically just say arthritis. Sometimes I'll say I have two different types of arthritis. It depends on my mood.

PsA is similar to RA however the lab work used to show you have RA. spicifically rhumatoid factor is negative in people with PsA.

I was in the lad one with a woman who told me she had PsA and RA, I didn't think that was possible!

Autoimmune diseases are very complex and hard for Dr.'s to know the initial triggor because the immune system has so many triggers and is quite amazing.

Specifically in PsA it involves the following factors

Psoriatic arthritis (PsA) is a chronic inflammatory arthropathy of unknown etiology that is associated with psoriasis. Joint destruction is often progressive: almost half of the patients attending an early arthritis clinic showed radiological damage 2 years after diagnosis. Proinflammatory cytokines are major mediators of systemic and local inflammation, and high levels of interleukin 1 (IL-1), IL-6, and tumor necrosis factor have been found in psoriatic skin lesions and the synovial tissue of patients with rheumatoid arthritis and PsA. IL-6 is a pleiotropic cytokine that mainly signals by membrane (neutrophil and lymphocyte) or soluble (endothelial cell) IL-6 receptors. IL-6 was originally identified as a factor in B cell differentiation, but is now known to influence T cell development: in the presence of IL-6 and transforming growth factor-ß (TGF-ß), naive T cells develop into Th17 cells, which are important mediators in PsA. IL-6 may also directly contribute to the epidermal hyperplasia seen in psoriatic epithelium and affect the function of dermal inflammatory cells. However, there are no data concerning the use of tocilizumab in patients with PsA, although a pilot study is currently being carried out because the role of IL-6 in the pathogenesis of PsA supports the idea that targeted treatments against IL-6 might be effective.

In Rheumatoid Arthritis a major indicator; RA level is often evaluated in patients suspected of having any form of arthritis even though positive results can be due to other causes, and negative results do not rule out disease. But, in combination with signs and symptoms, it can play a role in both diagnosis and disease prognosis. It is part of the usual disease criteria of rheumatoid arthritis.

The presence of rheumatoid factor in serum can also indicate the occurrence of suspected autoimmune activity unrelated to rheumatoid arthritis, such as that associated with tissue or organ rejection. In such instances, RF may serve as one of several serological markers for autoimmunity.[5]

Rheumatoid factor (RF) is the autoantibody (antibody directed against an organism's own tissues) that is most relevant in rheumatoid arthritis.[1] It is defined as an antibody against the Fc portion of IgG. RF and IgG join to form immune complexes that contribute to the disease process.[citation needed]

Rheumatoid factor can also be a cryoglobulin (antibody that precipitates on cooling of a blood sample); it can be either type 2 (monoclonal IgM to polyclonal IgG) or type 3 (polyclonal IgM to polyclonal IgG) cryoglobulin.

Rheumatoid factor can be of any isotype of immunoglobulins, i.e. IgA, IgG, IgM,[2] IgE,[3] IgD.[4]

Unfortunately PsA was previously though to be less aggressive than RA, however now that studies have shown that it can be quite devastating.

But in the case of people asking what you have its easier to say its like it like RA.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for your responses.

I have to say when I read this it put a smile on my face and made me laugh, because phil is so muh cooler than lucy lol :)
Louise said:

If you're talking to someone who wants the 25-words-or-less explanation, "It's a lot like rheumatoid" probably works just fine!

Erosions are common with RA. I don't think PsAers (is that a word?? Is now!) get nodules like the RAers. There are differences in lab results: RA often produces positive RF and anti-CCP results, while a lack of any aberrant blood tests is part of the diagnostic criteria for PsA. PsAers get the nasty skin and nail problems, and have a brother in Phil Mickelson, while the RAers get Lucille Ball.

How about Venus Williams? The Sjogren's folks get her!

At first my doctor thought I had RA because I was positive for the rheumatoid factor. I got nodule in my foot that kept bursting and the MRI was consistent with rheumatoid nodule. My first "bad" joint was my right shoulder, so it was not clear cut. Eventually I got a lot of skin issues and tons of tendon problems, then finally dactylitis and psoriatic toenails. So then it seemed like PsA, especially once my spine started to bother me. Now I flared again and am on Remicade and MTX, getting better but I have new involvement in my knuckles, but not the DIPs, it's the RA knuckles. My doctor has me listed as both, but RA is my "primary" since new drugs are always approved for RA first. She said not to worry about this too much because the treatments are mostly the same with the same basic cause. To top it off, I have some sort of bowel involvement, either mild Crohn's or Ulcerative colitis. (Not to mention my chronic dry eye, eczema and Raynaud's.) My body is wonked out.