Diet, the gym and PsA

So I went vegan a few months back and have been hitting the gym after work. Been fighting threw the tiredness. The sore joints in hopes that I could drop some weight and help my joints all was going well til I changed meds up. Don’t know if they have something to do with my stand still or what but I wanted to know if anyone else has had weight gain loss what food work well with this. Is there any “super foods” that you tell a diff with your body when you eat it. Anything that boost energy. Drive. Anything really to do with your diet and excersise.

Hi alleycat Not knowing what meds you are talking about it is a fair assesment to say if your weight is not dropping since you started on these new meds, then they are probably the culprit. I don't know of any super foods that help with losing weight and do not believe that there is a plan like that anywhere no matter what anyone says.

I do hope you succeed with your diet plan and find the right foods to eat.

Please be careful at the gym. PsA is progressive. Muscle mass is good to support the joints but pain is not gain with PsA. good luck to you

Are you sure the change up was your meds and not diet? To get adequate protein in a Vegan diet, you normally increase starchy vegetables, grains, and legumes. (rice, black beans, corn etc.) All of these significantly increase your complex carbohydrate intake. These are KNOWN to increase inflammation and symptoms related to PsA

Now I don't know, if you have chosen to vegan for health reason's or ethical reasons. But if I could suggest if you are committed to this diet choice for anything beyond health reasons, that you re-evaluate where you are with it and consider whether going vegetaian as opposed to Vegan would work for your more's. Wise choices with Dairy products (cream vs milk, cheese vs yogurt etc) will increase your protein, lower significantly your reliance on complex carbs for nutrition. Eggs are also a good choice. and all are consitent with vegetarianism as opposed to vegan.

Yes those of us who have chosen low starch and low carb diets as a part of our regime can tell immediatly when we have fallen off the wagon. After Cinco de Mayo (once I recovered from the hang-over) the fresh tortilla's and sugar in the Margaritas layed me almost flat for a few days (it was worth it though)

Super foods? A fresh Berry smoothie with whey protein and a bit of heavy cream gets me going pretty well. (Almond milk if you are counting calories)

Make sure you keep potassium, vitamin D, and calcium levels up if you remain vegan. These essential vitamins and minerals will help pain immensley are not naturally available when excluding dairy and meat. Vitamin D helps with inflammation, Calcium of course for bone density and joint strength, and potasium will reduce muscle spasm. (in fact popping a potasium pill during the inevitable "Charley horses" hand and big toe spasm thing and restless legs we get will often stop it cold)

As far as your work out cardio is good, strength training WITHOUT weights is good (weights are very bad) include Yoga or pilates to keep range of motion and balance going. Balance and posture are critical and will become more so as this disease progresses (especially if you have the spondylitis type)

These are general, all of our bodies are different.

TnT :) :)

I went vegan for health reasons thought it would help me feel better. I stay away from starchy foods or try to the best I can. And why no weights at the gym? I have pretty must lost all my upper body strength due to this and I just want it back :frowning:

tntlamb said:

Are you sure the change up was your meds and not diet? To get adequate protein in a Vegan diet, you normally increase starchy vegetables, grains, and legumes. (rice, black beans, corn etc.) All of these significantly increase your complex carbohydrate intake. These are KNOWN to increase inflammation and symptoms related to PsA

Now I don’t know, if you have chosen to vegan for health reason’s or ethical reasons. But if I could suggest if you are committed to this diet choice for anything beyond health reasons, that you re-evaluate where you are with it and consider whether going vegetaian as opposed to Vegan would work for your more’s. Wise choices with Dairy products (cream vs milk, cheese vs yogurt etc) will increase your protein, lower significantly your reliance on complex carbs for nutrition. Eggs are also a good choice. and all are consitent with vegetarianism as opposed to vegan.

Yes those of us who have chosen low starch and low carb diets as a part of our regime can tell immediatly when we have fallen off the wagon. After Cinco de Mayo (once I recovered from the hang-over) the fresh tortilla’s and sugar in the Margaritas layed me almost flat for a few days (it was worth it though)

Super foods? A fresh Berry smoothie with whey protein and a bit of heavy cream gets me going pretty well. (Almond milk if you are counting calories)

Make sure you keep potassium, vitamin D, and calcium levels up if you remain vegan. These essential vitamins and minerals will help pain immensley are not naturally available when excluding dairy and meat. Vitamin D helps with inflammation, Calcium of course for bone density and joint strength, and potasium will reduce muscle spasm. (in fact popping a potasium pill during the inevitable “Charley horses” hand and big toe spasm thing and restless legs we get will often stop it cold)

As far as your work out cardio is good, strength training WITHOUT weights is good (weights are very bad) include Yoga or pilates to keep range of motion and balance going. Balance and posture are critical and will become more so as this disease progresses (especially if you have the spondylitis type)

These are general, all of our bodies are different.

Weights cause Joint damage, but check with your DR. Heck they even made me quit playing Golf until I could pass a ROM test. Just tight lower spine and such effected my swing enough that it stressed other joints.

I don't mean to sound harsh but the only six pack most of us with PsA will ever have come from Milwaukee. Flexibility and Lean are our new fitness goals.Smooth muscles (and short muscles are where we need the most strength. Get with a good PT or trainer (familiar with PsA) for a new work out.

The other thing about weight training you need to remeber is you become a slave to your body, if you are not CONSTANTLY paying attention to that bulk strength, it will turn to FLAB in as little as a week. This is a progressive disease. You can't be a slave to bulk strength.

You can't avoid starch and complex carbs on a Vegan diet. If you eat anything but fresh, natural products you will also find most prepared products, whole grains, supplements and especially protein supplements contain high amounts of gluten/wheat products also very bad with this disease

Wow that put a whole damper on my day :frowning: everything I been tring do is not working with me huh. Lame. Okay thanx guess I will rethink my life style. What about backpacking and kayaking is that out too ya think. I just bought a new kayak for the year was waiting to feel a lil better to take it out.

tntlamb said:

Weights cause Joint damage, but check with your DR. Heck they even made me quit playing Golf until I could pass a ROM test. Just tight lower spine and such effected my swing enough that it stressed other joints.

I don’t mean to sound harsh but the only six pack most of us with PsA will ever have come from Milwaukee. Flexibility and Lean are our new fitness goals.Smooth muscles (and short muscles are where we need the most strength. Get with a good PT or trainer (familiar with PsA) for a new work out.

The other thing about weight training you need to remeber is you become a slave to your body, if you are not CONSTANTLY paying attention to that bulk strength, it will turn to FLAB in as little as a week. This is a progressive disease. You can’t be a slave to bulk strength.

You can’t avoid starch and complex carbs on a Vegan diet. If you eat anything but fresh, natural products you will also find most prepared products, whole grains, supplements and especially protein supplements contain high amounts of gluten/wheat products also very bad with this disease

You can be strong and lean, buddy. Kayaking very cool, at 60 I still backpack. HOWEVER if you don't have a mountain bike, try it. its very compatible. Just don't get to far back in the woods. that you can't get out. They brought me 20 miles on a game cart a couple years ago. (better than horses...) And here's the funny thing about Kayaking, you develop those muscles better with RESISTANCE training than weight anyway. You might consider some water resistance. Doing it in a pool takes the weight of your joints making them more mobile and eliminates a lot of the pain. Just don;'t over do, it can be a B*** getting out of the pool if you do. The good part is no BO or sweat dripping when doing pool work.

Hey Alley Cat!

Listen to the wise old lamb, he always has good advice! Glad you surfaced again, had us worried when you first started the meds! Glad to know that you even feel well enough to want to kayak!

Stay as well as you can!

SK

Thanx for the advice sadly no pool option but I bet I look in the a bike. And I am taking every word of his to heart SK. Well guess I will change up my life style.

SK said:

Hey Alley Cat!

Listen to the wise old lamb, he always has good advice! Glad you surfaced again, had us worried when you first started the meds! Glad to know that you even feel well enough to want to kayak!

Stay as well as you can!

SK

Yep, welcome to the club!! Lots of changes, like 'em or not! I have the 2 grandsons here, they are my physical fitness trainers! Well, maybe it's more like basic training! HA! I even get on the bike with them when I can, it helps if I am well enough to get my body to it and on it!!! LOL!

Stay cool Alley cat!

SK

I have been trying to ear much healthier over the last 2 weeks lots of fresh veggies and fruits and really lean meats and lots and lots of water and I must say I have notcied a big diffrence in the tiredness I unfortunatly can not exercise very much I am able to walk and strech a bit but thats about it so i havent had any weight loss really which is so frustrating because over the last few months since starting humira i have gain almost 20 pounds!

good luck in your adventure!

I understand the frustration. Glad to know someone else is having weight probs using humira Good luck to you as well. And SK send them my way lol.

amueller said:

I have been trying to ear much healthier over the last 2 weeks lots of fresh veggies and fruits and really lean meats and lots and lots of water and I must say I have notcied a big diffrence in the tiredness I unfortunatly can not exercise very much I am able to walk and strech a bit but thats about it so i havent had any weight loss really which is so frustrating because over the last few months since starting humira i have gain almost 20 pounds!

good luck in your adventure!