Diet and PSA

Hello everyone< I have done a lot of reading about PSA as I was diagnosed a year ago and had no knowledge of what to expect. I then started meds and expected to just carry on as normal. Boy, I was in for a surprise! There is a lot to be said about diet and excercise. How much does diet actually contribute to managing this condition? I try so hard to eat right however its sooo hard as I also suffer from depression and am a comfort eater. I just love all the good things. Say, if i eat right and excercise I can reduce a lot of the symptoms and inflammation or in reality no matter what i do this condition will progress?

I try to follow an anti-inflammatory diet as much as possible, with as few processed foods as I can, but who knows whether it has made any difference. I can certainly relate to the "depression and comfort eater" thing .... a couple of years ago, I switched to a low-carb diet, and that did make a huge difference to me. I gained control over my consumption, insatiable cravings pretty much disappeared, and I lost weight.

My shift to low carb was before I was diagnosed. My avoidance of inflammatory foods came after diagnosis. I can't honestly say whether either has made a difference to the course of my disease. But that's the problem with PsA: improvements and changes happen so slowly, that it's hard to know what helps and what doesn't.

As for exercise ... with the epicenter of my disease being in my feet, it's tough to exercise. (My doc hasn't mentioned exercise for ages ... LOL) What I really need is a warm swimming pool! Ya, and a palm tree, and a margarita.

Exercise matters. Diet?? That is a matter of great debate. There have been few studies done so there is no evidence one way or another. ANY diet for any condition has to be 100% no exceptions. Nearly Impossible most of the "spodyliting arthritis diets" involve no startch.

No this condition doesn't progress no matter what. Exercise keeps your joints moving and range of motion better. ("if it doesn't move it rusts") Muscle tone helps maintain posture avoiding mechanical pain etc etc. Exercise improves your attitude and relieves stress (AND stress is one of the biggest aggravters)

All that being said PsA goes into remission for months and some times weeks at time only to have a break through flare without warning.

Those reporting success with diet aren't lying but I suspect their success is coincidental. Just often you hear "it didn't work for me." We know food items such as poly unsaturated fats, high carb foods (particullarly sugar added) cause some inflamation in the body But the same foods also cause diabetes

A sensible diet can't hurt and certainly could help. But diet is not the cause so it can't be the cure either.....

LOL I second that! I was never really an active person however enjoyed walking but now i suffer a lot with my back so walking is not an option. i do stretching excercises and would love to swim but as you say a warm swimming pool is definitely a MUST. What foods should I try avoid?

Seenie said:

I try to follow an anti-inflammatory diet as much as possible, with as few processed foods as I can, but who knows whether it has made any difference. I can certainly relate to the "depression and comfort eater" thing .... a couple of years ago, I switched to a low-carb diet, and that did make a huge difference to me. I gained control over my consumption, insatiable cravings pretty much disappeared, and I lost weight.

My shift to low carb was before I was diagnosed. My avoidance of inflammatory foods came after diagnosis. I can't honestly say whether either has made a difference to the course of my disease. But that's the problem with PsA: improvements and changes happen so slowly, that it's hard to know what helps and what doesn't.

As for exercise ... with the epicenter of my disease being in my feet, it's tough to exercise. (My doc hasn't mentioned exercise for ages ... LOL) What I really need is a warm swimming pool! Ya, and a palm tree, and a margarita.

Thanks, that does make a lot of sense

tntlamb said:

Exercise matters. Diet?? That is a matter of great debate. There have been few studies done so there is no evidence one way or another. ANY diet for any condition has to be 100% no exceptions. Nearly Impossible most of the "spodyliting arthritis diets" involve no startch.

No this condition doesn't progress no matter what. Exercise keeps your joints moving and range of motion better. ("if it doesn't move it rusts") Muscle tone helps maintain posture avoiding mechanical pain etc etc. Exercise improves your attitude and relieves stress (AND stress is one of the biggest aggravters)

All that being said PsA goes into remission for months and some times weeks at time only to have a break through flare without warning.

Those reporting success with diet aren't lying but I suspect their success is coincidental. Just often you hear "it didn't work for me." We know food items such as poly unsaturated fats, high carb foods (particullarly sugar added) cause some inflamation in the body But the same foods also cause diabetes

A sensible diet can't hurt and certainly could help. But diet is not the cause so it can't be the cure either.....

I'm with Seenie low carb.... I feel better in general. The only problem is when it comes to Wine you have to have Chardonnay because its lo-carb and I prefer the reds! But she is right on the Margaritas. They are low carb (depending on the mix)

If you have a rehab center in your town (a big one) they normally have a good sized rehab pool kept at body temperature. You can really do a lot more. The other nice thing about the rehab center is they have chair lift in and out (During a flair I can't use the ladder) One of the more embarrassing moments in this path was I over did it at the Y couldn't get out of the pool. The only staff around were a couple of 16 year old HS girl life guards. They finally got me out with a crane (engine lift)

The rehab staff can also give you some great exercises to get mobility going (beware of the milk jugs or ping pong battles)

I recently had to stop my pool exercise :( I really miss it but the only way out of the pool was a wall ladder and my hands can't take that anymore. I have to avoid nightshades - last night I goofed up and had some chili (just because I had it in the pantry and it just sounded so good!) and about noon today, my whole body started seizing up. By the time I got home, my back was hurting so bad I wasn't sure if I was going to make it in the house - Thank God it's Friday!! I try to avoid peppers, tomatoes and potatoes and I can feel a difference. But like so many other things with this disease, what works for one doesn't work for another, so I plan to try going gluten free this summer and see if I notice a change with that.

tntlamb said:

The other nice thing about the rehab center is they have chair lift in and out (During a flair I can't use the ladder) One of the more embarrassing moments in this path was I over did it at the Y couldn't get out of the pool. The only staff around were a couple of 16 year old HS girl life guards. They finally got me out with a crane (engine lift)

The rehab staff can also give you some great exercises to get mobility going (beware of the milk jugs or ping pong battles)

I’ve tried cutting several things out but summarised that I was in pain, fatigued AND cutting some of my fave foods out (potatoes, aubergine etc) was just really miserable. Nothing made a huge amount of difference though so I just eat healthily but eat what I want.

With how much pain I'm having right now, it just won't be that hard to change my diet. I have lost 5 pounds this week just because I am in too much pain to eat, so I figure now is the time to change my diet because I'm not even hungry. Give me a month, and I'll let you know how it goes