CRP and Pain and then some

Hi Friends,

I am having a craptacular day today, so I guess this is a flare. I had bloods done last week and my CRP was 3. This is good but it does not coincide with a reduction in pain. Admittedly on the day of the test I was having a normal day, and today I am having a less than normal day. And they all hurt, some less than others. Is it normal to have huge pain with low CRP? I am taking methotrexate and leflunomide which has seemed to make very little difference. My Hb, protein and calcium came back low. I don't know if any of these results are related to PsA, the meds or whatever. My liver function and Kidney function were otherwize ok. Can anyone share some wisdom? I have just this week started to have pain in my sternum and ribs. It hurts to take a deep breath. Is this a part of PsA too? I seem to be getting smarter, sexier and more compasionate every day. This is clearly a side effect of the disease that impacts us all, LOL. Any tips for the rib, sternum pain would be greatly appreciated.

Shel

Its called Costocondritis (sp?) And yes its a part. I ended up in the ER a few years back and that was diagnosed. I definitely believe its related. I get it now sometimes. And get a huge pain right in that area when I sneeze. Oww!! :slight_smile:

Yes, CRP or C-Reactive Protein is a really flimsy test. It just tells you that you have had some type of inflammation recently. You can also have inflammation without pain. I just got back from a really informative seminar today in Philly on PsA. It was offered by the National Psoriasis Foundation and had two presentations, one by a dermatologist and another by a rheumatologist who specializes in PsA. I do not have a formal PsA diagnosis, but have Psoriasis and I learned a lot (and am more convinced I have PsA). With my symptoms, I have tendonitis in many places at the same time. Other issues that cause this have been ruled out. The rheumatologist said that they are beginning to use a diagnostic tool of an FDG/PET/CT. It is a glucose/irradiated marker that I believe is injected and then they use a PET/CT scanner. It shows cardiovascular issues that can be common in PsA patients, but they also found it shows inflammation before the patient even complains of pain. If my insurance will cover this doctor, I am going to have this done. My point to you is that, just as inflammation can be silent, it can also be present even when CRP is low.

I have a question about the pain in the sternum. Is this a constant pain? About 2 weeks ago, I was sitting in church and had unbelievably sharp pain in my sternum. It too, took my breath away and it hurt to breathe. This lasted about 15 minutes and then went away. It was very similar to a severe muscle spasm. I have not had it since.

Reid! Lucky you to be within driving distance of such an interesting seminar. Was it well-attended? Meet any interesting people, besides the doctor?

Seenie

Reid said:

Yes, CRP or C-Reactive Protein is a really flimsy test. It just tells you that you have had some type of inflammation recently. You can also have inflammation without pain. I just got back from a really informative seminar today in Philly on PsA. It was offered by the National Psoriasis Foundation and had two presentations, one by a dermatologist and another by a rheumatologist who specializes in PsA. I do not have a formal PsA diagnosis, but have Psoriasis and I learned a lot (and am more convinced I have PsA). With my symptoms, I have tendonitis in many places at the same time. Other issues that cause this have been ruled out. The rheumatologist said that they are beginning to use a diagnostic tool of an FDG/PET/CT. It is a glucose/irradiated marker that I believe is injected and then they use a PET/CT scanner. It shows cardiovascular issues that can be common in PsA patients, but they also found it shows inflammation before the patient even complains of pain. If my insurance will cover this doctor, I am going to have this done. My point to you is that, just as inflammation can be silent, it can also be present even when CRP is low.

I have a question about the pain in the sternum. Is this a constant pain? About 2 weeks ago, I was sitting in church and had unbelievably sharp pain in my sternum. It too, took my breath away and it hurt to breathe. This lasted about 15 minutes and then went away. It was very similar to a severe muscle spasm. I have not had it since.

Thanks for that. The sternum pain for me comes and goes like everything else, but it seems to be staying atm. If I push on my sternum it hurts as well as with deep inhalation. Ribs too. I don't know if what you experienced is the same as me. Let's hope not, and that it just stays away for good. This disease is hideous. It's 'like a crap box of chocolates cos you never know what you're gonna get'. LOL. All the best xo

Reid said:

Hi Seenie,

It was really good. I was blessed that my husband went with me. We sat next to a gentleman who was there in his wife's place. I would say there was about 75 in attendance. Both the dermatologist and rheumatologist were very informative. Everyone I met had a different story, but for someone like me, waiting to get a diagnosis, it was very affirming.

There are a few more scheduled across the country, but if you cannot attend, they have a webcast you can watch. The info is here: http://www.psoriasis.org/events/educational/more-than-skin-deep

Seenie said:

Reid! Lucky you to be within driving distance of such an interesting seminar. Was it well-attended? Meet any interesting people, besides the doctor?

Seenie

Reid said:

Yes you can have low CRP with PsA. You can have massive visible inflamation and have no sed rate either. Tendonitis is common and can move joint to joint daily or be in multiple joints daily. Costochrondritis is common too. I have chest pain too. you cannot touch my breast bone period nor my shoulders. They don't hurt but push slightly on them and my bones scream murder. That's why this disease can be so hard to diagnose. It moves around and has multiple weird symptoms.

As for being smarter, sexier and more compassionate well that is a definite sign you have PsA :)

LOL! I love your sense of humor, 2trees!

Your comments about CRP and sed rate were interesting ... mine aren't good but not as bad as I feel.

2trees said:

Yes you can have low CRP with PsA. You can have massive visible inflamation and have no sed rate either. Tendonitis is common and can move joint to joint daily or be in multiple joints daily. Costochrondritis is common too. I have chest pain too. you cannot touch my breast bone period nor my shoulders. They don't hurt but push slightly on them and my bones scream murder. That's why this disease can be so hard to diagnose. It moves around and has multiple weird symptoms.

As for being smarter, sexier and more compassionate well that is a definite sign you have PsA :)

Thanks for that. I thought that perhaps most of the pain was just referred from the inflammation in my SI joints because my CRP was normal. At least I don't need to feel like a hypochondriac when I next see the Rheumy. I've had enough of feeling like that. Cheers, Shel

2trees said: