Cosentyx - I think it is working!

One photo was taken in August, and the other after my workout tonight. I can see a difference! I didn’t have sausage ties, I had sausage FOOT! I’m 2 doses into my loading doses (just took the 3rd tonight. So far I’ve had no side effects for 1-2 days afterward. Then on the 3rd day I fight nausea, and usually I sleep a really deep 10 hours or so one weekend day. Plus some tummy upset occasionally. MRI on Friday. Crossing fingers that the damage is minimal!!!

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: RG

I reacted like that from a PsA perspective in the loading doses. Couldn’t believe it week after week. I didn’t however get your side effects other than sleeping. Now be aware once you stop the loading doses it might well dip but it does pull up again, it just takes its time. Delighted for you. More delighted you can manage a workout. I most certainly can’t do that one!

1 Like

That’s wonderful, I’m so pleased for you!

1 Like

That is a very impressive response so far. That’s very promising.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up! Yeah, I’m kind of fortunate that I went 5 years thinking it is just chronic pain caused by soft tissue damage from a broken ankle. Did years of physio and was told “motion is lotion.” Ironically, they told me that, if I stopped exercising on it, I’d likely develop arthritis. Lol. So I found activities that I could do, or could push through to do (adrenaline helps!) so now I dragonboat and am a soccer goalkeeper. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Congrats!!! Just hope you didn’t jinx by sharing your good news LOL. QUICK Knock on wood

1 Like

so happy for you, am also on cosentyx as well as mtxt and it made the difference between wheelchair and walking

1 Like

Update:

I finally understand the dip! Finished my loading doses, and was even able to play out on the soccer field by the end of it (usually I play keeper because I can’t run with my foot!). Exactly 1 week after my last dose, my feet swelled up, the icy hot feeling returned to my toes, and it felt like I popped my left Achilles. I was on crutches for a day, then a cane. The next day it moved to my plantar fascia. So weird. I can’t wait for my next dose. Why don’t they give it biweekly or something?!

This med tests your patience at this stage. Or it certainly tested mine. Hang on in there and be patient. Before a year is up it will have kicked back in again. And remember no biologic reaches full efficacy for a year anyhow, this one included. As it liked you during the loading doses, there is no good reason why it won’t kick back up. For me that was month eight, for others it’s been month six and I know one person where it was month 10. In the dip, you’ll get two to three decent enough weeks out of four so relish them. I was so glad I stuck it out, mind you I was as grumpy as whatever waiting too because I’m truly not a patient person.

1 Like

Did you get 5 loading doses? The recommended dose is 300 mg, which is often taken as two (2) 150-mg injections under the skin. I have talked to folks who took 150mg every 2 weeks and were quite happy

1 Like

Not licenced for 150mg every two weeks in the UK but of course I don’t know about Canada.

1 Like

I split my 2 shots during the month to biweekly. My rheumy had no problem with me doing that because it prevents the end of the month dip. So far this is working well

1 Like

Yeah, you are totally right. It seems to be really on and off for now. Last Wednesday/Thursday I was back on crutches, but was able to play soccer on Sunday. Today has been sore, but not impossibly so. Very weird. I can’t wait for my next dose!!!

I got partial MRI results - my right foot is ok, only a couple of bone Spurs. My lumbar spine shows 2 bulging discs and some arthritis! How did I not know this, lol?! I’m still waiting for the MRI if my worse areas to come back - my SI joint and my left foot. Not looking forward to that one. But I can’t believe I didn’t even notice any pain from bulging discs. Weird!

1 Like

Ooo. I may ask to try this! Thanks!!

bulging discs essentially mean nothing (unless the doc needs a boat payment… half are a symptomatic half are not. Half get better half don’t. with surgery half get better half don’t.

Lol. True, there isn’t much to be done. I often have a sore lower back, but I just attributed it to age, overwork and being overweight. I wonder if any supplements might help.

Well that lower back stuff is a pain… not entirely certain it’s always PsA.

Personally what works for me: Not a fan of supplements and been through a lot anyway. lol. D3 an B comp seem to help the chondritan etc is bogus.

I avoid NSAIDs as much as I can. I can go into a long treatise as to why but leave it at we’re in this long term we need our kidneys a lot more than dulled pain in our low back. No meds have near the serious side effects as OTC NSAIDS…

I’m fortunate that I have a hot tub and an infrared sauna . I’d be lost without them. Believe it or not infrared is now a base therapy for both the P and joint pain. Your PT prolly has a fancy device with ultra sound… While I don’t recommend a 10 grand sauna. The infrared sauna blankets are worth a look…

If I have a major flare I Rest no more than 12 - 24 hours and then go back to normal activity. I do have a TENS unit. They are easily and inexpensively obtained. A good PT can help with placement and Frequency. Anyway that’s what works for me.

As crazy as it sounds the pain becomes less of an issue when your attitude becomes, “I have PsA, PsA does not have me”. Doesn’t mean it goes away despite what the internet mindfulness folks preach, That’s BS, it just means it isn’t the control of your life.

1 Like

Yay! I’m so happy for you! Cosentyx worked really well for me…until it failed.

2 Likes