Chronic Ailment Translator

Social media is going to be the death of me.

I've gotten into countless conversations over the past month where tone isn't clear because communication is happening via the internet, or where I'm talking with people who don't know me and read drama into simple factual sentences where there is none. This happens on message boards and facebook, via email and in chat rooms.

I've come to find that many people experience this - and moreover, many people who live with chronic illness experience this to the extreme.

A recent social media post elicited a response indicating that all I do is complain about my health, worry about things, and dwell on my needs and wants, totally lacking in gratitude for the wonderful things in my life. I was taken aback, as I try to see the blessings amidst the chaos whenever possible. Surprisingly, it's usually possible. The more I thought about it, the more clear it became how easily things can get lost in translation.

Tone and intent are difficult to hear on the internet. Knowing someone's background, thought patterns, and sense of humor when you're more acquaintances than friends is nearly impossible. Perhaps looking through the eyes of chronic illness and chronic pain is a lot different than looking through eyes of relative health. Maybe when I'm posting in an isn't-this-funny-way, humor is not conveyed and it's instead taken seriously. What frames my life on any given day is often my pain and/or energy levels, a decent bit of faith, and a very odd sense of humor. It seems social media needs a special translator for people living with chronic illness: the Chronic Ailment Translator (CAT).

Status Update: Thank God for kids who clean up from dinner, load the dishwasher, and put themselves to bed when Mama has a severe migraine...and also for a husband who stops and picks up helpful things on his way home from work.
Possible Perception: She's whining about having a migraine again.
Actual Translation: I am incredibly blessed to have responsible children and a kind husband who take care of me so well.

Status Update: I have 12 quarts of chili, 4 quarts of veggie chili, and 3(ish) quarts of applesauce cooking in four crockpots and on the stove. Bread is going in the bread maker. Pirate treasure has been assembled. Is it time for my nap?
Possible Perception: She's whining about needing a nap again.
Chronic Ailment Translation: I just did in a few hours what it took me all of last Summer to accomplish. Amazing, isn't it? But perhaps doing that amount of stuff in that short of a time was too taxing on my chronically ill body, especially since I didn't sleep well last night, so I shall joke, as I always do, about needing a nap, especially considering the incredible improbability of nap-taking due to the enormous horde of children in my house for whom I'm responsible.
Read the rest at http://rannygahoots.blogspot.com/2013/09/chronic-ailment-translator.html

You’ve got something here nym, I’ve lost count of the times people have fallen out because of this issue…I try (I say TRY) to say a phrase or passage I’ve read as a bit ‘snitty’ in a pleasant voice and it can sound so different to the way I’ve first read it with my inner voice. That’s why I like using little smiles and winks when I text, email etc just to help give a little ‘seasoning’ to my comments. We could definately do with a CAT :slight_smile:

One of your gems, Nym! I love your writing style.

I hear you loud and clear, Nym. On my Facebook page I hardly ever mention my illness unless I’m in a really bad way and that has taken me offline for a bit or kept me out of work. I then usually post updates about my health. But I realize my reluctance is because I do fear that my friends and colleagues are going to start rolling their eyes and expect nothing but updates on my health.

I also tend to be more careful than ever when answering the “how you doing?” question. It feels like a trap. The mental gymnastics I undertake would get me high scores in the Olympics (although the Russian judge always manages to find deductions). Do they really want to know How I am? Is is polite to lie?

I think that because we operate in a heightened state of awareness about our well being we are interpreted as self-centered or egotistical by others, when that isn’t (as you so ably demonstrate in your examples) the case at all. In fact the self-awareness is a huge part of being able to get out of your suffering as it gives you insight to know how much you can reasonably do outside of yourself at any given moment. And to NOT mention our illness is to deny a very large part of our own reality. That is tantamount to living in the closet. And that’s a painful place to be. It’s dark in there.

I hope you will continue to be yourself and just let the rest of them think what will. The worst thing I could imagine is for them to quash your sparkling wit.

Bravo! Love this!