Checking in from rainy Vancouver!

Hello everyone,

I’ve been lurking here long enough, it’s time I registered and say hello!
I’m 28 years old and live in Vancouver, Canada with my husband and doggy baby. Although this disease has slowed me down quite a lot, I still consider myself an active and outgoing person.
Looking back, I started to have twinges in my finger tips just under 3 years ago. Things started getting back about 8 months ago, when I started getting severe pain in my hips and lower back. X-rays showed I already have damage in my SI joints and lower spine.
My pain has progressed to my Achilles’ tendons, my fingers and my toes, my knees and my elbows. What joy! It’s the disease that just keeps on giving (please note the sarcasm).
I have yet to see a rheumatologist, waiting for the last one I was referred to to get back to me. My GP has made what I would consider a "soft diagnoses. I have never been diagnosed with psoriasis but I have the classic signs in my nails and my dad has it as well. Also my blood work shows negative RF, ANA with increasing CRP as time goes on.
Hopefully the rheumy gets back to me sooner than later so I can start on one of these medications I keep hearing about, looking forward to moving past from ibuprofen, naproxen and T3s!
Well I hope this gives everyone a good picture:) I hope to learn a lot here,

Meg

Hi there, Meg, and welcome! I certainly hope you get to see your rheumatologist soon, so that you can get on a decent treatment plan. I also hope that you will find this forum a good source of support and information. You’ve got lots of company here, and we’ve all got plenty of experience with the disease that keeps on giving.
Take care! I’m glad you’ve joined us, but it’s too bad you had to!
Seenie (your Canadian mod)

Hi Seenie!
Thank you for the welcome! Great to hear from a fellow Canadian!

I’m just a little further east in Calgary. It took a year to get into a rhumey here. I’m now on methotrexate and starting to get some releif. I hope you see one soon

C

Hello and welcome Meg! well, don't you love the traveling disease? Equal opportunity joint buster! hoot hoot! :)

This disease is very personal. All of us have similar symptoms and frustrations but it moves differently in each one of us and responds to different medications. My advice is to get aggressive with that rheumathologist appointment, if you hear not back from him/her, just politely haunt the office until they see you :) . You say you are showing damage and the disease can move fast sometimes, my opinion is that you need a good treatment, pronto :( Often markers don't show up in the blood work, mine don't show RA or PSA at all.

Namaste from North Padre Island - Isabella

Welcome!

I'm in the rainy Seattle area :) We will be weather-buddies along with other Pacific NW'ers on here.

This is a great group and I'm glad you have jumped in. This is indeed the disease that keeps on giving. I joined about a year ago after never finding a "home" online for my disease. I've been stuck on RA groups most of the time. Having a PsA specific group is fantastic.

I hope you get in to see a rheumy soon :)

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, very much appreciated!

Welcome, Meg! I hope you get to see a rheumatologist and are able to treat the disease, not just the symptoms, soon! What a lot to go through to have to hurry up and wait!

Welcome, Meg! I am so glad you found this board. This disease can be so frustrating, and the members and mods here are so knowledgable and supportive.

It’s great that you are already on the road to treatment; it can be a balancing act in the beginning!

The best of luck to you and if you need anything, just ask!

Thank you so much Nym and GrumpyCat :smiley:
An update on my situation. My hubby called the private clinic and apparently although they advertise they have a rhuemy, when he called they said they didn’t.
I called the rheumatologists office I am being referred to, and they said I would get an appointment late November, early December.
Can I wait that long? I don’t know., my doctor prescribed me some prednisone for the next five days to help me get through this flare.

Yes Nov or Dec is about right. Most of us have to wait 3 months to get in at Rheumatology, sometimes longer in underserved areas. Start a list for the Rheumy now with all your questions it helps when you get there for your appointment.

Hi Michael,
I’ve been waiting since the beginning of June to see a rheumatologist. 6 months here isn’t that long considering one of the other rheumatologists I was first referred to had a two year waiting list. They aren’t as many rheumatologist here in BC unfortunately.

West_CoastMeg said:

Hi Michael,
I've been waiting since the beginning of June to see a rheumatologist. 6 months here isn't that long considering one of the other rheumatologists I was first referred to had a two year waiting list. They aren't as many rheumatologist here in BC unfortunately.

Hang in there kiddo this is a long and bumpy ride but you know which direction to head. There are some interesting drug studies out there that you can ask your rheumy about. Use extreme caution in choosing your therapy. Right now my Dermatologist,GP eye doctor and reumatologist are fighting over who is going to use which treatment and I am stuck because insurance covers very few biologics. Steroids can help you fight your aches and pains but they make the psoriasis come back with a vengeance. Ask those questions and really consider your needs today and in the future. Good luck with your appointment. Waiting is harder than knowing,you can do this thing.:)

Yes I agree crazylady!!
I’ve been doing research on different drugs for as long as I’ve had pain.
I only had psoriasis in my nails and a few tiny spots on my legs and tummy. If it flairs, I guess I will have deal with it when it comes.

ps I love your name, I never trust anyone who’s not just a little :wink:

Thank you I worked hard to earn it. I had to spend several days as a patient on the mental ward dealing with this stuff a year ago Halloween. I had closed my business(daycare) and been told I had MS. not fun either. Anyway this is me one year later just trying to put all of the pieces back together having fun talking to people like me!

You’re in good company! I have dealt with lots of fun mental health issues, I’m surprised that this hasn’t made me go screaming to emergency. I’ve thought about it but would it really make a difference?
I have no doubt in my mind you will put all the pieces back, it may not be exactly the same as it once was, but it will be just as good

crazylady said:

Thank you I worked hard to earn it. I had to spend several days as a patient on the mental ward dealing with this stuff a year ago Halloween. I had closed my business(daycare) and been told I had MS. not fun either. Anyway this is me one year later just trying to put all of the pieces back together having fun talking to people like me!

Welcome West_CoastMeg,

I'm on the Sunshine Coast, B.C. I have a rheumatologist in Richmond (Arthritis Research Centre of Canada) who is wonderful! I see her every three months and you're right it's generally a wait to get in. Have you been given a date yet?

My rheumatologist mentioned Mary Pack and that its too bad I live so far away as I would be able to take part in some of their programs.

Have you been in contact with the Mary Pack Arthritis Center? Here's a link, if you would like to check it out :-)

http://www.arthritis.ca/Provinces/BC/Resource-Guide/Support-Services/Mary-Pack-Arthritis-Program