Bumps on fingers

This one is actually for my mom. She was just diagnosed with PsA in the past year, dominant in her DIPs and PIPs in her hands. She was undiagnosed for over 15 years, and her fingers are a real mess. She has bony growth/bumps on many of her joints. The problem is that the bumps (primarily at the DIP joints) keep bumping into things, and are painful and irritated.

Any ideas on how to protect these? I'll add in, she trains her dogs, and her hands can get pretty dirty when she's out training them, so it needs to be a washable type of solution.

I have some of those bumps, too, but just on my pointer fingers. My rheumy said when they’re swollen, warm and painful it’s the PsA flaring. Once the flare subsides, he told me the bumps are osteo. Mine don’t hurt anymore. My mom has those bumps huge on everyone of her fingers. She said they hurt while the bumps were forming, but not so much once they’re finished. Hers is osteo and she has no PsA. Ice,heat, whatever works.

Has she got/tried some Thermoskin neoprene gloves? I find mine are good for protecting my finger nodule when I'm working and the compression is very comforting as well. They are also washable but I've found I can also get waterproof gloves over them too for really wet tasks.

Something else I've tried, initially on my toes but I can't see why you couldn't use them on your fingers, are gel corn tubes ... this kind of thing http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=gel+toe+tube

Oh, I have these and man do they hurt. I just put the fabric bandaids on them or Nexcare makes a water proof bandaid that’s super sticky. She might need a friend to help her put them on the first few times, as they are a little different from your average bandaid.
Here’s a link: http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/nexcare-waterproof-clear-bandages%2c-assorted/ID=prod5934003-product?ext=gooMedicines_ampersand_Treatments_PLA_Bandages_ampersand_Bandaging_Supplies_prod5934003_pla&adtype=pla&kpid=sku5932870&sst=5ddb13b0-a111-e0a8-32c7-00004fa198aa&kpid=sku5932870