I’ve posted before about my experiences with Enbrel and how it has totally transformed my life to the point where I hardly know I have PsA at all. I’m still taking MTX which occasionally causes a few issues with my liver function tests, but that apart, it’s all good
At my last rheumy appointment he mentioned biosimilars but implied that existing patients would not be switched, but that possibly new ones would be started on a biosimilar instead of the original drug.
I’ve just received a letter from the NHS trust asking if I would agreed to be switched to Benepali - an Enbrel biosimilar. It’s come as a bit of a shock.
Initial reaction - no way. I was asked to choose which biologic I wanted and one of my decision factors was how long the drug had been in use. Also, given that my response has been so good, I don’t feel I want to do anything to jeopardise it.
The flip side is that I know there is a cost saving and there are limited funds and it might allow more people to be treated. From some very quick searching, I understand the saving to be about 10%, not quite as great as I expected.
So if I say no, I will feel guilty, and a bit selfish.
Has anyone else in the UK currently on a biologic been asked to switch? Or had discussions about switching with their rheumy? What were your thoughts?
I’ve just found this document which is helpful