Big hives or looks like infected bug bites

I was on a road trip...from Utah to Illinois as we left Illinois to come home, I got this oversized rash. The red spots were about the size of a dime to a nickel with a white center about 3/16" in dia. in the center right at a hair follicle. They appeared in just a short time... several hours. They itch like crazy and burn. They hurt when exposed to the sun burn when you touch the skin within a 1 of the red area. I have them on my legs, hips, stomach and back. I when to my GP's after hour clinic when we concluded our trip today. It was a PA assistant and he took a biopsy 10mm... 5 stiches later and he sent me home. My Rheumy is a 2.5 hour drive so we will do that later.

I need help in the mean time with ways to stop the itch.

■■■■141630.jpg (1.83 MB) ■■■■142109.jpg (1.95 MB)

Did. You talk to the PA about Benadryl, cool compresses, oatmeal bath, any ways to manage the itching? Depending on how bad it is a steroid dose pack may even be called for. You can use at home measures for now. I wish you luck. My daughter just went through a bad bout with hives and was miserable. She wound up on prednisone.

I had hives on and off for 25 years. Benadryl and sleep help. I took two tablets before bed. They would make me drowsy. A cool washcloth can be comforting. Hope you find out what caused them.

Loratadine was helpful also. A daily Allegra for a whole year finally broke the cycle for me.

I was given a prescription of OTC Zirtec, double the normal dose for 15 days, and some cortisone cream to apply for 7 days.

I was on Benadryl before I went to the Dr. he told me to stop. I was also using a topical Benadryl in a mist form which helped with the stinging and burning feeling. He said I could continue that if I wish.

I hope this does not go on for a year, this is not fun and it looks horrible. I go to physical therapy in a pool twice a week for my back.

The Zyrtec won’t make you drowsy which is good.

I’m sorry! Those definitely look tender. I would think that a visit to the derm would be in order. Those don’t look much like hives. Is the derm far away too?

If you happened to do a lot of walking in the heat, I can think of another cause, so a second opinion may help.

I hope you feel better soon.

Could that be a staph infection? My red spots on my legs looked a lot like that.

GrumpyCat said:

I'm sorry! Those definitely look tender. I would think that a visit to the derm would be in order. Those don't look much like hives. Is the derm far away too?

If you happened to do a lot of walking in the heat, I can think of another cause, so a second opinion may help.

I hope you feel better soon.

They are starting to go away today is day 8. They do not itch as much.

Yes it has humid, we were next to the Mississippi River for 4 days at Nauvoo, Ill. I told my wife that I though it was bed bugs in our hotel. She did not agree because she did not have any and we sleep in the same bed. I told her that my immune system was different than hers so it would effect me differently.

My Dermatologist is only 35 miles away. But my Rheumy said he would see me after the biopsy results are back if needed. So I would most likely get the same reaction from the Dermatologist.

They are different then the pustublar psoriasis that I have on my feet.

Honestly, based on the location of the sores and the weather where you were traveling, they look like ingrown hairs and the symptoms match as well. Either way, they are beginning to clear up, and that is the most important part! Hopefully, the biopsy will be benign and you will continue to fell better with each day.

The biopsy came back as inconclusive...could be hives, insect bites or inflammation. I was hoping that after the big hole in my leg that the biopsy would have shown some thing. Then again I was surprised that a biopsy was needed at all. I not sure that it ruled out anything. They are still inflamed and very read 9 days later. The burning is not as intense as it was originally.

Burning sounds like infection to me. Maybe wipe it with alcohol wipes and then put a triple antibiotic ointment on each spot a couple times per day. Well, at least that's what I did to get rid of my recent skin infection.

Not Understood said:

The biopsy came back as inconclusive...could be hives, insect bites or inflammation. I was hoping that after the big hole in my leg that the biopsy would have shown some thing. Then again I was surprised that a biopsy was needed at all. I not sure that it ruled out anything. They are still inflamed and very read 9 days later. The burning is not as intense as it was originally.

Yes they did burned for the first 3 to 4 days now they itch like crazy. Yesterday I bumped against on spot on my leg by accident and started the burn all over again. They now have reduced from a hive look to a blister look. There is a spot that is near 1/8" to a 1/16" that is raise about the same height and it looks some what clear but it is still red out around the spots. There seems to be more smaller ones showing up adjacent to the original location like a rash.

The spots that have reduced in size is the ones near the site where the biopsy was taken. They cleaned it (alcohol) and put the antiseptic (iodine). The two spot there are now much smaller than all the others. Base on your comment I will swab the other sites with alcohol to see if that makes a difference.

Hey Not Understood--my guess is folliculitis. Have you been in a hot tub?? If that is what it is then you may need an oral or a topical antibiotic or it may go away on its own. I would call the doctor back and tell them that you are still having problems.

I have chronic hives that started after a bad flare up last June. I take Allegra daily to control mine. Sorry, if this is your problem. It sucks!! Diet can also be a huge impact as well. Turns out I am allergic to corn. I have eaten it my whole life, then one day.......Good luck. hope they give you some news soon!

mltoups said:

I have chronic hives that started after a bad flare up last June. I take Allegra daily to control mine. Sorry, if this is your problem. It sucks!! Diet can also be a huge impact as well. Turns out I am allergic to corn. I have eaten it my whole life, then one day.......Good luck. hope they give you some news soon!

When I broke out with whelps and hives I found out I had become allergic to Remicade. I had taken it for a few years but my body said enough. The hives lasted for months. I had to get shots and take prednisone. I feel for you.

It would be slow acting if it were the Enbrel or the Metotrexate. I have also given my self two injections more of each sense the breakout occured
miss nat said:

When I broke out with whelps and hives I found out I had become allergic to Remicade. I had taken it for a few years but my body said enough. The hives lasted for months. I had to get shots and take prednisone. I feel for you.

Sorry my last post had an issue. I had a breakout of pustubular psoriasis on both my feet while on the trip and then I was hit with exhaustion. Just one day later is when the rash occurred. I hope it soon goes away. I am hoping that it is an allergy reaction vs breakout from PsA. So far I have not had much to do with psoriasis except on my feet.

mltoups said: