Back pain

I have been having severe sharp pain in my lower spine. Almost as the same motion of bending a rod or stick and it snaps back into place upright. The sensation will send me to my knees at times as my muscles twitch. My other back pains are stiffness and sore muslces. Anyone else feel these sharp stinging pains and have any suggestions on what helps?

Cheers

Do you think it’s a nerve being pinched? I once pinched something in my back. I was hunched over and leaning forward in sort of a squat. Something startled me and I jumped up and backward. That motion pinched a nerve and it caused sharp, searing pain. I had to get an injection of pain medicine and go to physical therapy for several weeks before I was completely healed. PT used ice to help reduce inflammation and put electrodes and hooked me up to electrical stimulation machine.

Now my pain is mostly dull, achy, and irritating because it’s always there. Sometimes it throbs or feels numb if that makes any sense. I have PsA in my SI joints and a herniated disc in that same area. I have so much pain that sometimes I’m not sure what’s sore or if everything is sore. Hopefully your doctor can help determine what’s causing your sharp pain.

Keep moving! Even if it’s just a few short walks a day, make sure that you are moving. You can also use heating pads, and/or topical so, such as salon pas, or icy hot.

You don’t have to rush to the doctor necessarily but you will want to keep an eye on symptoms. If you start to experience symptoms other than pain, such as numbness down a leg, trouble with the bathroom, etc, then you need to be seen.

Good luck. Back pain can really suck.

Sounds very similar to the pain I've had since Sunday. Mine happened as I stood up from the toilet a sharp, searing pain that rendered me unable to stand upright or walk. Now that's it is easing slightly I can feel it's very much on the right hand side and hovvering over my SI joint although my whole middle to lower back is very tender to touch. Movement has been virtually impossible except with crutches and lots of resting on a heat pad. Doctor said rest/move as I feel able to and keep to a strict routine with NSAIDS/Tylenol. Seeing my physiotherapist tomorrow and will share any insight she offers. Wishing you relief as soon as possible.

Hey, Whtmgc, welcome back. It’s been so long that I feel like we should be giving you a new member welcome. (That involves a marching band and banners …kidding!) How about bringing us up to speed with an updated profile?
Hope your back pain is easing.

Hi Whtmgc, I never met you on here, but it sounds like you've been here in the past before I joined. There are so many different types of back pain!!! I've had about six different types of pain, ranging from a feeling of an electric shock going across the top of my butt, to just plain achiness, to stiffness and tightness that hurts for awhile after resting, to nagging achiness going to the leg, to downright killer pain in the nerve from the butt down the leg, and I had some of that which started from a protruding disc and some of that which started in my SI joint--they both go down the leg, but they feel different and they trump all the other pain I've ever had.

The sharp, stinging pains you're having I think might do well with heating pads alternated with cold packs. But, maybe you've tried that already. Massage by a good physical therapist would do wonders for that, and like Stoney said, keep moving. I also agree with Spammy in that it's probably a pinched nerve. There are injections, too, but I've always managed without them. Prednisone bursts help, but I'm wary of prednisone--it makes me feel great for a short time and then worse later on--or possibly makes the PsA and psoriasis flare up more. So, I'm trying to avoid prednisone until I get pain so bad I'm not able to walk.

I hope your pain lets up soon! The times I had that kind of pain, and there were many in the years leading up to my PsA diagnosis, I didn't realize how much good heat and cold could do. But, I did get massage and that always helped....usually within a few weeks the pain would subside. If it's worse than that and you really can't walk--I would suggest getting to a doctor. When my back went fully out, they recommended 48 hours of bed rest with heat and cold and a lot of ibuprofen and very minimal movement.....but, after the 48 hours, I was instructed to start doing very careful movement to get the blood flowing into the injured area and begin the healing process. Back pain can be a real killer.