Autoimmune Inner Ear Disease (AIED)

Hearing and balance disorders

http://american-hearing.org/disorders/autoimmune-inner-ear-disease-aied/

Thank you for posting this. I’ve been researching autoimmune inner ear disease lately. My doctor just put me on some steroid nose spray to try and help.

This is interesting. I have tinnitus, the ringing seems to be in my head--I can't say it's in either ear. It's constant and very loud. I doubt if this is related, but a few years ago I woke up extremely dizzy one morning for no reason (I don't drink). My daughter took me to the doctor because I couldn't drive, and she said I staggered like a drunk person. I got extremely nauseated during the exam, which never happened to me before that (except when I had a kidney stone). The PA who examined me couldn't figure it out--said I didn't have an ear infection, and proceeded to tell me she was dizzy like that for several months once and continued to function normally. There was no way I could function being that dizzy--the room wouldn't stop spinnng! I don't think my ear ringing is autoimmune--I wish it were--then the Enbrel would make it stop.

Very very interesting, Meg! I was diagnosed with Meniere’s years ago, and I have constant ringing in my ears. I’m now wondering whether it’s an auto-immune thing. I will print the article and get my ENT’s opinion.

I wish Enbrel would make the noise stop as well, GrandmaJ, but Enbrel isn’t successful with every case of PsA either. So just because it didn’t help the noise, doesn’t mean the noise isn’t auto-immune.

Dizziness is awful, isn’t it?

Yes, it is awful! I noticed quite a few people on here have said they have tinnitus. There is a treatment that stops it for a short--very short time. I do it every once-in-awhile. Place your palms tightly over your ears wrapping your hands around the back of your head at the base, then flick one middle finger across the other to thump it against your head. Do it several-10 to 15-times. I found this online. Have you tried it?

Seenie said:

Very very interesting, Meg! I was diagnosed with Meniere's years ago, and I have constant ringing in my ears. I'm now wondering whether it's an auto-immune thing. I will print the article and get my ENT's opinion.

I wish Enbrel would make the noise stop as well, GrandmaJ, but Enbrel isn't successful with every case of PsA either. So just because it didn't help the noise, doesn't mean the noise isn't auto-immune.

Dizziness is awful, isn't it?