Arthritis Project

Hi Everyone! My names Abhijeet and I am a third year student studying Product Design at Leeds Metropolitan University in the U.K. For my project I have decided to design a product that will aid people that have arthritis in everyday household tasks, to help make this a more valid and all round better design I have created a survey, the survey is anonymous and only asks a few basic questions regarding your personal experiences/problems, please note i am not a marketing guy or making any money out of this whatsoever, i just need first hand information and this is the easiest way to get it, this is the link to the survey ------------> https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NPF2CL6 ,thank you for your time :)

I did the survey, and thought that the questions were very good. I hope you will keep in touch with us and let us know what your project will be.

I did the survey.

Thanks :-) Good luck and I hope you will keep us posted on your project!

Sounds like a wonderful, helpful project! The survey was quick and easy - thanks!

wow awesome response to the survey guys! i appreciate it, i will definitely keep in touch and display the end product on this website for you guys, once again thanks for the contribution! :)

Yep like the survey as has been said easy to complete :slight_smile: Good luck with your studies

hi guys just updating you with where i'm at, i had to deliver a presentation last week and i thought i would share it with you so you can see where i'm at and hopefully give some feedback, presentations a bit bare because i was speaking most of the info but hopefully theres enough for you to understand what i'm trying to make

533-concept.pdf (1.36 MB)

Bare in mind this is a very early initial concept so i'm aware there are more than a few kinks

Very cool! Thank you for posting the presentation.

I ***love*** your design idea!!

Modular silicone grips could be used for so many things, if offered with a center opening of different diameters (paintbrushes, sewing or gardening tools, etc). I also like that they are "lumpy" (multiple rounded edges), which gives multiple places / ways to grip, based on how the hand might feel that day.

I truly feel this is universal design, which benefits everyone, vs. just folks with hand issues. I am very passionate about universal design.

Best wishes with your project, and thank you for thinking of our community when looking for design ideas.

Did the survey, viewed your design idea. I just wish I was in the UK so I could test your idea! :)

thanks for the feedback guys, you guys are too nice, you need to be mean to me so i can uncover more potential problems. one such problem i found with the product is how can the user hold the utensil down whilst putting the grips on when there is no grip in the first place, would it be impossible for a person with arthritis affecting the hands to hold onto something like a spatula or wooden spoon or something with one hand and using their other hand to slip the grips on, the whole process would probably take 10-15 secs

That’s easy. I would sit down, and hold the large end of the item between my knees and use both hands to slide the grips onto the handle.