Anyone feel a relationship with nutrasweet ingestion and increased symptoms of any kind?

A co worker saw me drinking some Crystal light and jumped all over me about it. I don't use nutraweet often but she said that it mimics multiple sclerosis. Should I throw the rest out?

All things in moderation isn't a bad thing. I never notice a difference from when I drink plain water and crystal light. I would go by if it affects you or not. If you are worried about it they make a pure version that doesn't have artificial sweetener.

I took a quick look at this, and it looks like it's pure urban legend. But as already stated, all things in moderation, right?

I don't notice anything if I drink diet coke or coke zero other than the caffeine.

Oh, great news. I don't drink a lot of nutrasweet, but I love the margarita flavored one. haha.

Probably the biggest challenge next to PsA is dealing with well meaning folk (sic) that are absolutley convinced our ills can be cured by a change of diet or that by some miracle (and it would be) that kur DNA was altered by the environment, and can be altered back.

That being said nutrasweet is dealt with by the liver. Given the meds we take all the help we can give our liver the better. That being said I have a great recipie for margarita mix using crystal lite lemonaide. Of course your lady friend would freak if we mixed njtrasweet with tequila. Double whammy. Course its fall so jts peppermint schnapps and cocoa season........ So we need to wkrry about tequila.

Lol I agree, some of the well meaning advice given can drive me nuts! Yesterday one of the consultants at work told me off for drinking a high caffine drink in my afternoon break (had a particularly bad fatigue day, and have a stash in my locker) and did I realise how bad it was?..told him it was either that or sleep on the job, and that I’d also washed down 2 pro plus tabs as well! Yes I know its not ideal but sometimes you just to get through the day!

I went on a diet and tried only using sugar substitutes and it did make me feel worse. Went online and found a lot of information that showed these products can cause problems. I stopped using them and felt a little better. Now I only use Truvia which doesn't seem to have the side effects of the others. I'm not saying everyone should stop using these products; it may be that I am just sensitive to them. My best advice is stop using them for a few days and see if you feel any different.

Gee, now that's some practical advice in regards to the subject. Take a few days off from the artificial sweeteners and see how you feel.

Personally, I'm in Lamb's corner, looking forward to one of those tasty Margaritas made from Crystal Light, LOL!

Sheila said:

I went on a diet and tried only using sugar substitutes and it did make me feel worse. Went online and found a lot of information that showed these products can cause problems. I stopped using them and felt a little better. Now I only use Truvia which doesn't seem to have the side effects of the others. I'm not saying everyone should stop using these products; it may be that I am just sensitive to them. My best advice is stop using them for a few days and see if you feel any different.

I'm sensitive to aspartame and sucralose (nutrasweet and Splenda). Years ago I had a scary thing happen when I was really pounding the diet cokes (4-5 per day). I suffered near stroke-like symptoms, numbness, headache etc. and even had ultrasound to rule out mini stroke. After doing some research, quite by happenstance I found out a little more about the aspartame. I had had more than one episode of this before cutting out all nutrasweet and have not had this happen ever since. Splenda gives me migraines within 20 minutes of ingesting it. I've had only 6 migraines in my whole life, so this correlation was easy to come by. Now I use stevia, erythritol, xylitol, products, or my old stand-by, saccharine (the pink package). I'm not saying that aspartame causes MS, but perhaps some folks, like me, have a sensitivity to it. My evidence of course is purely anecdotal. That said, it couldn't hurt to try and eliminate it from your diet to see what happens.

Crystal Light has a margarita flavor. I was overjoyed to see it, as I thought a calorie free mixer would be great to avoid gaining weight with a margarita night. If I find no connection with aspartame/nutrasweet and ill health, I'll encourage it for all. : )

tntlamb said:

Probably the biggest challenge next to PsA is dealing with well meaning folk (sic) that are absolutley convinced our ills can be cured by a change of diet or that by some miracle (and it would be) that kur DNA was altered by the environment, and can be altered back.

That being said nutrasweet is dealt with by the liver. Given the meds we take all the help we can give our liver the better. That being said I have a great recipie for margarita mix using crystal lite lemonaide. Of course your lady friend would freak if we mixed njtrasweet with tequila. Double whammy. Course its fall so jts peppermint schnapps and cocoa season........ So we need to wkrry about tequila.

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I have avoided buying soda/pop for 3 weeks. I can't say i feel different, but I did have a college professor who got seizures from aspartame. My co-worker has a friend who also got seizures that stopped when she stopped using aspartame. I don't get seizures, no M.S. either. Guess she thought my celiac disease, thyroid failure, psoriasis and PsA are linked with the stuff and I'd be cured if I gave it up. I think I'll go make myself a virgin margarita. Cheers!