Anyone experience groin pain or is it just an unrelated issue

I have constant groin pain and don't know if it's related to PsA - perhaps it's a hip problem that can cause pain in the groin area or just an everyday groin strain. I don't know what I did to strain it if that's the cause???

I'm made an app't to see my ortho next week to be sure it's not the hip. And I have a regular app't with my rheumy tomorrow. Any questions you think I should ask?

thanks,

Frances

My hip pain was closer to the groin. Check this out. . . http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/hip-pain/basics/definition/sym-20050684

And of course, even if it is not from the hip, you can wind up with what feels like a strain from soft tissue inflammation. When mine was at it's worst, it was hurting even at rest, and definitely at night. Walking was pretty painful, though I did keep it up. After x-rays to make certain I wasn't actively damaging it, I did PT for a while to strengthen up around the joint, as it was very unstable.

The main cause of groin pain is the adductor muscle overload. Its pretty easy to eliminate as a cause with "The adductor test" While lying supine with your hips s abducted and flexed at 80 degrees. If while attempting to pull your legs against pressing in the opposite direction, you feels a sharp pain in the groin. The test is positive. Some simple PT will fix you up. This is also called the "soccer players Hernia" I call it shoppers Hernia. A for me, a day of shopping with my wife can cause it (or a trip to Vegas)

Pain through this area is pretty classic PsA stuff though.

Sorry to hear you're in pain, Frances. I had terrible hip pain that really reduced the range of motion I had when walking. It took a couple of months of physical therapy in the pool and it all went away. I had been overly protective of my lower back and hips which were a regular site for aggressive PsA attacks and in trying to help myself not aggravate the area I essentially stopped using it altogether! Hopefully some PT will set you right!

The groin area does hurt at rest and while walking. I'm going to ask my rheumy for a P.T. script when I see him tomorrow.

Stoney said:

My hip pain was closer to the groin. Check this out. . . http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/hip-pain/basics/definition/sym-2...

And of course, even if it is not from the hip, you can wind up with what feels like a strain from soft tissue inflammation. When mine was at it's worst, it was hurting even at rest, and definitely at night. Walking was pretty painful, though I did keep it up. After x-rays to make certain I wasn't actively damaging it, I did PT for a while to strengthen up around the joint, as it was very unstable.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't quite understand how to execute the adductor test. I'm going to look for a youtube.

tntlamb said:

The main cause of groin pain is the adductor muscle overload. Its pretty easy to eliminate as a cause with "The adductor test" While lying supine with your hips s abducted and flexed at 80 degrees. If while attempting to pull your legs against pressing in the opposite direction, you feels a sharp pain in the groin. The test is positive. Some simple PT will fix you up. This is also called the "soccer players Hernia" I call it shoppers Hernia. A for me, a day of shopping with my wife can cause it (or a trip to Vegas)

Pain through this area is pretty classic PsA stuff though.

I get wicked groin pain along with other hip pain but have been able to figure out different causes to the different pain. The groin pain is related to my labral tear. It is wicked bad when I have been on my feet too long such as shopping. Once it is aggrevated it can pop up anytime. I also get pain on the back of the greater trochanter that are like little bubbles or gum drops. Those are bursitis. I get tendon pain between my legs right in the perineum. And then the good old sore hip that is regular PsA hip pain. They all respond to PT and balancing rest and activity.

The adductor test you lay on your back you raise your legs up to ninety degrees then a little more. You can bend them at the knees but the hips should be bent a little more than ninety degrees. It works best to have someone else push on the sides of you legs to see if it causes pain. When I am really to tight to bend much I have had doctors position me on the table on my back with my knees bent and my feet on the table next to my butt. Then they push on my hips both towards my body and away from my body to cause pain. I have never had pain either abducted (away from body) or adducted (towards the body) except for tendon and bursitis.

But all of them have responded to warm water PT.

Thanks, it's good to know that it isn't permanent and P.T. will help. Of course my only heating pad broke yesterday and I'm too fatigued today to go get another one. I guess I'll have to take hot showers.

I now have 3 heating pads and 2 heated throws! I have used a wet towel in a plastic bag nucked in the microwave when desperate.

That's a great idea - wet towel in microwave. You aer so creative Michael ! I just figured out the power strip is broken not the heating pad. So, I'm comfortably typing in bed with my heating pad on :-)