Any way to make Humira not hurt so much?

I did my injection on Monday. Instead of sitting up try laying down for it. I left my pen out for about 45 mins. It wasn’t as bad as the others I’ve taken. Im scared to inject in my leg so I do in my belly. Hope you find what works best for you.

I have been on Humira for 3 months now and sometimes it stings and sometimes it doesn't but I think I figured out why (for me anyway) so I will share this, so maybe it will help others. I am pretty sure that on the days when the shot is stinging, I am not letting the alcohol swab that I clean the area dry enough before giving myself the shot. I figured this out as I have been writing down my pain/stinging responses to each shot, and timing of shots/procedure, just so I can get an idea of what I am doing when I go back to the doctor in February....this is what I figured out when I went back and looked at my notes. When I rushed the shot after cleaning the area with the alcohol swab, and the area was even still a teeny bit damp with alcohol (even though that stuff evaporates pretty quickly), that is when I get the stinging.

I don't know if that is scientific, or if it is the case for everyone, but it is for me...something to think about.

HUMIRA UPDATE

I have just completed 3 1/2 months of Humira and I am FINALLY starting to see some positive results from it, everywhere but in my hands it seems. Less stiffness in the morning, less of the achilles tendonitis and less of the SI pain for a few days between the shots. I am hoping that his will stretch out to longer periods the longer I am on it, and hopeful that eventually that it will move on to helping my hands.....nothing there yet.

Better late than never, but I agree that the pens hurt more than the pre-filled syringes. When I started Humira, I expected a medication vial that I could fill myself and inject with a simple syringe, instead I got that pen! It does hurt like the dickens. I asked my rheum for the pre filled syringes and they are so much better. I am a nurse, and I would never slam meds into a patient like the pen does, so why would I do it to myself. The pre-filled syringes, do sting a little (you are still poking yourself with a needle) but I felt it was way better, and was not as dread filled when I had to inject myself. I also trained my husband to do it, for the times that I was feeling awkward. It helped when my fingers wouldn’t cooperate!

Glad you're seeing results, Dani!!!

I'm on Humari also, and I just turned to my husband to show him that I'm not alone!! They do HURT and its nice to not be so alone in this. thanks for all the info. maybe the next shot won't be so bad.

So I did my 12th injection of Enbrel last night. I never had any pain whatsoever with injections 1-10. Then out of nowhere it started to sting! I thought on the 11th I squeezed my fat too hard on my stomach. So on the 12th I just held it in place and didn't squeeze. I left my sure click injector out at room temp for over an hour. They can actually sit out up to 14 days. I always do this. I was advised to do it in the stomach for the least painful area... I switch left to right twice a week........ I have not iced it because anything cold hurts my fingers but, I may have to do that. I do not like pain at all no matter how short it is LOL I do notice when I push on previous injections sites it is sore and the muscles hurt there... I take Zyretch and I use a benadrly cream on all sites... thinking it hurts because I have injected in these areas a lot??? Scared to try in my thigh.

Hey, Shelia! While I don't use the auto injector, I know what you mean about the stinging. I'm guessing you can't control how fast the medicine goes from the injector. My husband gives me my shots from a syringe. The syringe gives you more control. The nurse told us to bring the Humira up to room temperature and to inject slowly. The left side of my stomach is my preferred injection site. No stinging on that side, but the right side, good gosh almighty! :) Why the difference? I don't know. I'm just glad that my husband is willing to give me my shot. I don't think I could do it myself. As for Lamb, he is really a sweetheart. As are all the other moderators.

I have been reading this website occasionally but did not join until today. I just had to respond to your question. I feel your pain. I am taking Humira pen injection. Mine hurts some when given in my left thigh but very, very little when given in my right thigh. I can't stand the thought of an injection to the stomach so I rotate between my thighs. My doctor said this is fine. I have my husband give me my injections. This helps tremendously. I close my eyes and he just says, "ready, here it goes." Do you have someone who could give you your injections?

I hope you find something to help, I feel your pain.

Whoa there, Tirezza, careful what you say about us! LOL, but thanks. blush

Tirezza said:

. As for Lamb, he is really a sweetheart. As are all the other moderators.

Just did my Enbrel shot Monday and it was painless Yippee! This time I did it differently. I let it sit out all day, from like 9-5. It can sit out up to 14 days. Then I rubbed my stomach until I found a place that didn't feel sore from previous places. Then I stretched the skin repeatedly and when I was ready put alcohol on it. Then I air dried it and waited almost a minute to make sure it was completely dry. I pulled the skin taught, took a deep breath, clenched my toes, and pressed the button on my sure click pen. I let the breath out slowly as I waited the 15 seconds for it to get done When it was done clicking I also waited another few seconds to let go just in case.

Hi Sheila

I also take Humira shots 2 times a month and I agree it does hurt. I shot it in my stomach when I was standing and it really hurt bad, the next time I injected it in the same location but was sitting and it went much smoother.

Guessing I had a little more flab to shoot it in haha while sitting. Keep trying different spots and in my case standing,sitting or laying down might help! lol

Hope it gets easier for you

David

skytech

Stomach area is easier, less painful. And you can see the yellow "float" come up, telling you that you were successful. Let the pen come to room temperature before using (about 20 minutes to a half an hour) and let dry the alcohol prepped injection site before using pen.

I cut a 2x2 sq of a lidocaine patch and numb the area first. Now I inject weekly so I have tried about everything and found I could use my lidocaine patch for my shot. In a hospital setting patients can have topical numbing agents so I just did it at home.

Of course I warm it to room temp first and then use the lido.

I have injected Humira on the order of one hundred times. It stings, sometimes not much, sometimes more than I would like. But it has become so routine that I don't give it any thought anymore. I take the injector from the fridge and set a timer for 30 minutes to allow it to come up to room temp. I do not hesitate.

I focus on what it enables me to do ... and it seems a small inconvience at this point.

I was hesitant my first time. And I researched how best to use the injectors. But I realized over time that my attitude was a factor I could control. I also realized that pain is a complex process, some days perhaps other factors such as my stress level, or other pains probably exacerbate the experience while a relaxed positive mood was a benefit

All I can say, is that for me, it got easier. I hope it does for you as well.