Any way to make Humira not hurt so much?

Wondering if anyone has any tricks they use to lessen the pain of the Humira Pen injection. I think it's more the medication than the injection itself, because it's the burning, stinging pain when the medication is going in, that is causing me all the pain. It's getting to the point it takes me 5 minutes of holding the pen in place to get the courage to push the plunger. If anyone has any hints to make it easier, I would appreciate it.

I took Humira briefly, and a have some things that help...a little. It was very painful for me, like you describe it took a long time to get up the courage. It was the most painful for me of all the injectibles. These tips help for any injectible though.

1) let it warm up for 30-60 minutes

2) put an ice pack on your injection site for a good 10 min+

3) I would take a few slow deep breaths, and inject as I blew the air forcefully out (like Lamaze breathing).

4) experiment with injection sites...I found my upper thigh to be the least painful and easiest to inject (just position-wise)

5) inject slowly...faster injection can cause more bruising / swelling / etc than slower injection

None of this is groundbreaking stuff. You've probably done most of this already. I just thought I'd post what helped me and to sympathize with your injection pain!

I am having the same experience with enbrel. I've rotated the sites and my abdomen hurts less than my thighs. This week, the thigh was really hurting, so I pulled it out and stuck my abdomen. Both sites bled a lot and hurt a lot. I did let the syringe warm and I did use ice on my leg prior to injecting. The needle doesn't hurt, it's the thick medicine that hurts. I don't know what to do.

Lose the ice. It makes it harder to absorb. Get rid of the auto pen and learn to inject yourself so can better control the flow and angle. A shot once or twice a week? Be thankful, you aren't diabetic or cumiden...............

I have to inject my grandson with a medicine in his muscle that is so thick an enbrel needle rattles around inside his needle (which is 2" long)

If none of that helps think of the dozens on this board taking ineffective DMRDS counting the days until they can have a biologic.

The most important thing is to get over it. Its really not much worse for one over another. Its the same med same needle etc. You can make it worse by thinking about it. It can become so "bad" that you either can't do it at all or stress youself into a flare. Its all real, I'm not saying that, you just gottsa get past it. Your treatment and success depend on it.

Humira hurt like hell. I inject Enbrel with very little pain at all. I also reacted to Humira like bee stings. I could see where I had injected it the week before as there was still a reddened area a week later. Faded but still visible. With Enbrel I have no idea where the previous shot was. Humira felt like I was injecting lye.

Watch TV as you inject it. Why concentrate on the pain, concentrate instead on something else.

so sorry you are having problems. I have zero problems with the auto injector. I warm it for 15 minutes on the counter ,hold in my hand for 2-3 minutes, I inject inot my stomach,make sure you hold the pen at 90 degrees. Thats about all I can tell you. If I inject cold it stings for a couple of seconds. Icing is definitely not reccomended. I don'tknow what to say about your fear, could it be the humira is not helping like you thought it would.? I have to inject MTX too, like TNT says maybe if you have the prefilled syringes that would help. good luck

Wow. I think your response was kind of harsh. I just asked if anyone had any tips to make it hurt less.

tntlamb said:

Lose the ice. It makes it harder to absorb. Get rid of the auto pen and learn to inject yourself so can better control the flow and angle. A shot once or twice a week? Be thankful, you aren't diabetic or cumiden...............

I have to inject my grandson with a medicine in his muscle that is so thick an enbrel needle rattles around inside his needle (which is 2" long)

If none of that helps think of the dozens on this board taking ineffective DMRDS counting the days until they can have a biologic.

The most important thing is to get over it. Its really not much worse for one over another. Its the same med same needle etc. You can make it worse by thinking about it. It can become so "bad" that you either can't do it at all or stress youself into a flare. Its all real, I'm not saying that, you just gottsa get past it. Your treatment and success depend on it.

Thank you for your support. I hadn't tried letting it warm up and will do so for my next injection. It helps just knowing that others have experienced what I have with Humira, and also that someone cares enough to send kind words. Thanks again!

Marietta said:

I took Humira briefly, and a have some things that help...a little. It was very painful for me, like you describe it took a long time to get up the courage. It was the most painful for me of all the injectibles. These tips help for any injectible though.

1) let it warm up for 30-60 minutes

2) put an ice pack on your injection site for a good 10 min+

3) I would take a few slow deep breaths, and inject as I blew the air forcefully out (like Lamaze breathing).

4) experiment with injection sites...I found my upper thigh to be the least painful and easiest to inject (just position-wise)

5) inject slowly...faster injection can cause more bruising / swelling / etc than slower injection

None of this is groundbreaking stuff. You've probably done most of this already. I just thought I'd post what helped me and to sympathize with your injection pain!

Hopefully you and I can find out some way it won't hurt so much. I feel your pain, "literally". I'm going to do some research, and If I find out anything to make these injections easier, I will pass on the knowledge to you. Thank you for replying.

michelle said:

I am having the same experience with enbrel. I've rotated the sites and my abdomen hurts less than my thighs. This week, the thigh was really hurting, so I pulled it out and stuck my abdomen. Both sites bled a lot and hurt a lot. I did let the syringe warm and I did use ice on my leg prior to injecting. The needle doesn't hurt, it's the thick medicine that hurts. I don't know what to do.

Didn't mean to make it sound harsh, i'v been fighting this thing in my own life so long I just don't pull any punches anymore. As the "concern grows" it gets worse to the point i have seen people stop taking their meds. The slower the med goes in the less it hurts. if you stick a needle into iced skin the puncture may not hurt as much but the flow of medicine will. I the world of injections, these are pretty mild, but what the meds do when they get there is NOT. Well worth it......

Yes, Sheila, that is my hope. And I agree that lamb was too blunt. Maybe I seemed whiney, I don't know. I, like you am looking to find any little tip from an experienced person here that might make it easier. I thought that's what this board is for. I think I will be an observer for awhile. I am not a fragile soul, but I don't like having my hand slapped when I reach out for help.

Sheila said:

Hopefully you and I can find out some way it won't hurt so much. I feel your pain, "literally". I'm going to do some research, and If I find out anything to make these injections easier, I will pass on the knowledge to you. Thank you for replying.

michelle said:

A question: are most of you using auto-injectors for your meds?

I’m taking Simponi (for 14 mo) and it is the first one I’ve used with an auto-injector. I’ve noticed that because the auto-injector injects the medicine in one quick punch in hurts more than when I controlled the injection myself.

I’ll bet Humira + auto-injector is even more painful than when I used Humira with a plain syringe (the medication burns like hell).

Also Sheila and Michelle, please don’t hold back with questions. We’re all trying to help each other out here. tntlamb was pretty harsh, but don’t lose out on the help from everyone else because of one person.

I couldn't have said it better myself, Michelle. I like you, will stick to observing. Unfortunately, I am a fragile soul when it comes to this stupid illness and dealing with it. Like I told you earlier, if I can find any info that will help us, I will pass it along to you. Thank you so much for your reply. I was wondering if it was just me being too sensitive.

michelle said:

Yes, Sheila, that is my hope. And I agree that lamb was too blunt. Maybe I seemed whiney, I don't know. I, like you am looking to find any little tip from an experienced person here that might make it easier. I thought that's what this board is for. I think I will be an observer for awhile. I am not a fragile soul, but I don't like having my hand slapped when I reach out for help.

Sheila said:

michelle said:

What works for me is about mid thigh where I’m toned the most at. My husband pulls it out while I’m on my morning run and I take it right afterwards (30 minutes) while my muscle is still warm. I dont pinch the skin like the doctor office says i do it on a flat firm surface. I barely feel it anymore, i’ve done weekly shots for 2 months now. Also a piece of chocolate always helps.

Lamb doesn't bother me at all. I think I read his posts in my mind like there is a cigar in his mouth. Part Groucho Marx, part Gene Hackman!

Please don't leave this post for anyone person. This board is made for and of lots of folks. When I read one that doesn't "speak" to me in any way I move on to another. There is a lot of nuggets for all.

I injected Humiria, have an auto injector for the Enbrel I take now. Nothing made a difference the Humira burned like lye for the whole year I took it. Both seemed to work in the begining but wore off. I may try the Remicade next. I have heard good things about that one and it is the only one I haven't tried yet. Warm hugs and prayers to us all. We are all suffering the same disease.

Thank you Marietta, I think I may ask my doc for the injectable version instead of the pen. It would make sense that if you could contol how fast the meds go in, it could make a big difference. I also saw on another site that the person's doctor gave them lidocaine to prep the area with, which also could help. While surfing around for ideas to help with the pain I came across someones blog about the pain caused by Humira and realized I'm not as big a wuss as I thought, and got a pretty good laugh. I't good to know you are not alone. Should anyone like to see it got to: http://www.lyza.com/2010/11/18/how-to-make-humira-injections-hurt-less/
Marietta said:

A question: are most of you using auto-injectors for your meds?

I'm taking Simponi (for 14 mo) and it is the first one I've used with an auto-injector. I've noticed that because the auto-injector injects the medicine in one quick punch in hurts more than when I controlled the injection myself.

I'll bet Humira + auto-injector is even more painful than when I used Humira with a plain syringe (the medication burns like hell).

Also Sheila and Michelle, please don't hold back with questions. We're all trying to help each other out here. tntlamb was pretty harsh, but don't lose out on the help from everyone else because of one person.

Chocolate Helps Everything!!!!!! Thanks

Shutterbug said:

What works for me is about mid thigh where I'm toned the most at. My husband pulls it out while I'm on my morning run and I take it right afterwards (30 minutes) while my muscle is still warm. I dont pinch the skin like the doctor office says i do it on a flat firm surface. I barely feel it anymore, i've done weekly shots for 2 months now. Also a piece of chocolate always helps.

Thanks Michael, I'm sorry that you're having trouble finding something that works. I have heard great things about Remicade as well and I hope it's the drug for you. I've been on Humira for 8 weeks and haven't noticed any improvement as of yet, but have my fingers crossed. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, too.

michael in vermont said:

Lamb doesn't bother me at all. I think I read his posts in my mind like there is a cigar in his mouth. Part Groucho Marx, part Gene Hackman!

Please don't leave this post for anyone person. This board is made for and of lots of folks. When I read one that doesn't "speak" to me in any way I move on to another. There is a lot of nuggets for all.

I injected Humiria, have an auto injector for the Enbrel I take now. Nothing made a difference the Humira burned like lye for the whole year I took it. Both seemed to work in the begining but wore off. I may try the Remicade next. I have heard good things about that one and it is the only one I haven't tried yet. Warm hugs and prayers to us all. We are all suffering the same disease.

Thank you, Sheila. I hope all PsA patients will be helped. Maybe there is a break through drug just around the corner!! With no side effects too.