Any way to make Humira not hurt so much?

Not far from the truth. I took up cigars back in my military days ( I was one of those fools who jumped out of airplanes and had a Ranger patch, the wore a funny hat teaching new soldiers to identify an objective) I gave up the cigars February 12, 2011 at 9:20 am. Its okay to have a problem and vent about it, but its not a good idea to let that problem move your eye even a little bit from the objective. I gave some ways that work for others, but this disease is not for the fragile, it important to get past that point. It would be cool to have shots not hurt, so when you have done what you can to make them not hurt, its done, Its iNOT cool to not use the meds or have them. This disease will cripple you and its avoidable. It can and will attack your other organs and that can kill you. You can get into a flare that you miss much of what happens in your life or loved ones lives.

The bottom line is the objective is to fight the disease (and win) Its doable, but it involves pain. pain from shots, pain from stretching and moving, pain from therapy and pain from failures. There is little success in life that doesn't involve pain. whether athletics, child birth (child rearing) ataying behind in the library to study when your buds are going clubbing in college, or taking a shot.)

Okay its blunt, but heres the thing, in the last few months alone there have been no fewer than 200 posts from folks who would do just about ANYTHING to have the opportunity to have a shot of Humira "burn like lye" I never said it didn't hurt me, or that the shots I give my granddaughter with huge bore needles and oil-thick meds don't hurt her. I told you the things that helped and things that didn't help, but importantly the blunt fact is there are way too many folks who let the temporary side effects of treatment stop them from treatment. MY grandaughter has heard more than once if "you think this hurts your butt, just try and get away again.... (BTW its never come to that)

Maybe I'm a glass half full guy, but it hard to miss (for me) that way back when I didn't have biologics MTX made me throw up, I was able to make to the toilet to do it, instead of a bucket for someone else to empty because I couldn't get up.

There is a lot to be said for scotch on the rocks and cigars (dang i miss cigars) BUT if you are going to fight this disease, its not for the fragile and meek. Yeah, Yeah, "the lamb" is mean (you should of heard my soldiers back in the day) but remember I have fought EVERY battle (and continue to fight every battle) you do. I have a few phrases for for "outsiders" who have the nerve to suggest we are imagining it, or something isn't quite as wrong or their uncle Al has some arthritis in his big toe, fortunately this is NOT an "R" rated board (NC-17 if I'm really "angry") But coming from me here understand, I do understand, do care, but also understand what battles matter.

There are believe it or not, folks who risking EVERYTHING because of unreasonable fear of side effects, or minor and temporary side effects of meds and ceased taking meds than can help them (most go away or we learn to live with in time)

michael in vermont said:

Lamb doesn't bother me at all. I think I read his posts in my mind like there is a cigar in his mouth. Part Groucho Marx, part Gene Hackman!

Please don't leave this post for anyone person. This board is made for and of lots of folks. When I read one that doesn't "speak" to me in any way I move on to another. There is a lot of nuggets for all.

I injected Humiria, have an auto injector for the Enbrel I take now. Nothing made a difference the Humira burned like lye for the whole year I took it. Both seemed to work in the begining but wore off. I may try the Remicade next. I have heard good things about that one and it is the only one I haven't tried yet. Warm hugs and prayers to us all. We are all suffering the same disease.

1 Like

I take Enbrel once a week. It warms to room temp for 30 minutes. Clean the area with alchol wipe and let it dry. It still stings very much. I think it is the med in that causes the pain. At least I am seeing some improvement. BTW, my husband does the injecting since I am scared and faint at needles.

Letting the alchol dry has helped and I have asked my husband not to count out loud while waiting for the med to get into me.

Good luck.

FWIW, . The citrate in Humira's formulation is what causes the stinging. Its the same thing that causes bee stings to sting. maybe a bee sting topper will help (it comes in a magic marker type of thing)

I take humira I find that I put frozen vegetable pkg on my thigh for about 5 min. I find that icying the spot does help to stop the burning that you get when you inject in. I have been on humira now for almost 2 yrs ( in Jan) I alternate legs every two weeks. I am also on mtx now down to 7 ( 2.5) pills every week.

Do you take the shot out of the fridge and immediately inject?

I take mine out and let it sit for about 30 mins. I choose to inject in the stomach...it burned less but still burned.

I'm sorry you are having such a tough go of it. Hope it gets better,

I know the feeling! Gave myself the shot last night and before that the pen sat next to me for 20 min before I get the courage of taking the plunge. I guess the only trick is letting it warm up for 20 min. Straight out of the fridge is brutal! Just have to think of trading 10 seconds of pain for a week of relief from stiffness and clear skin:-) also find the spot in your thigh that has more fatty tissue. I hear some people use their stomachs and it hurts less but I do not think I could ever do itā€¦ Itā€™s bad enough on the thigh!

I think I've decided that whether my Enbrel injection stings or not is completely random. Sometimes I hardly feel it, and sometimes it stings. Either way, it's so much better than the PsA was. I actually look forward to taking my shots it makes me feel that I'm doing something. I went from 1x50/week to 2x25 and I'm happier cause I get to do it more often... OK I'm nuts.

1 Like

Hi Debi,

I went to 2x25 because I was getting minor ISR and my doctor suggested I try it. It did help with the ISR but I think it also helped with my psoriasis. Enbrel has an average half life of 122 hours which is about 3/4 of a week. Taking 2x25 keeps the level of Enbrel in my body more constant.

I'm having the same problem :( . I don't inject myself I have someone do it for me since I'm a big sissy when it comes to needles. I've tried leaving it out, icing, etc and still ouch! I would be interested to know if anyone has any other hints also. I'm seeing my Rheumy today if I find out anything I will share.

ISR is Injection Site Reaction. It's the redness and itching you can get at the injection site. Sometimes I get mild ISR, most of the time I don't notice it.

Debi said:

Makes sense to me, and also fits the wear off time I have been experiencing, I am going to see if Dr. will try it.

Forgive my ignorance, what is ISR?

Andrew said:

Hi Debi,

I went to 2x25 because I was getting minor ISR and my doctor suggested I try it. It did help with the ISR but I think it also helped with my psoriasis. Enbrel has an average half life of 122 hours which is about 3/4 of a week. Taking 2x25 keeps the level of Enbrel in my body more constant.

the best way to not feel humira is to put a ice pack on yhe injection site for 15 min and hold the pen in your hand for 15 min. also in the stomache is less pain than thighs however even in thighs it only stings for about 8-10 seconds. been doing it this way for over a year with no problems. also if you inject in thigh dobt get up for about 10 min after shot it dosent hurt if you wait to move for a wjole. if i dont wait yhen i will feel pain in my thigh after the shot.

I want to thank you all that gave me the great ideas and also the compassion. I did the ice and let the pen warm up and it was not nearly as bad. Doctor is switching me to Remicade in January, since the Humira isn't doing much good. I hope it works.

I am brand new to this whole thing and have never had to auto inject (although I have an epipen I have not had to use yet for reactions to NSAIDS). When I read the "get over it" posting I re-read it a couple of times and got the intended help from it - I believe the phrase has a negative history in it's usual use but the intent I got from it is that one has to put feelings aside and not let fear hold you back.

I am working on my fears of meds for PsA and self injecting. I have not even started meds yet but will in mid Jan. after I have the official meeting with my rheumy who did recommend MTX and Humira on his reading of my just completed MRI.

Has anyone tried slapping the injection site to create a competative nerve overload so the injection is not experienced by itself ??

Hi,
Can I just make some pointsā€¦I donā€™t inject any drug at the moment becuse I donā€™t get the choice (as lamb said) I have to be on MTX until its proven not to work, then Iā€™ll have to try, and fail, another DMARD before I will even be considered for a biologicā€¦Iā€™m not complaining, I will go through ā€˜the processā€™ and hopefully get there in the end (and hopefully still have my job!)
Its not easy to do something you fear, but as has been said on here before ā€˜fear the disease not the drugsā€™ā€¦please tell yourself you can and you will be able to do it.
I cannulate patients with dialysis needles which are pretty big, some patients trust me so much they say they hardly feel it, where as they say it hurts when other staff they donā€™t know so well cannulate.
The pain is real, pain is what you say it is, but our minds are powerful things and can be distracted, trained, conditioned in to all sorts of things, as fear grows so does the pain.
Feel free to remind me of this post if I ever get on to a biologic and complain :wink:
Good luck with this Shelia and all who have pain injecting

1 Like

Hi,

I did Humira for 5 yrs...till it stopped working..from 2003 to 2008. At the end, i was doing it wkly. Yes it does sting

But it's over very fast, by the time you count to 10, maybe...OK, i am optimistic..LOL

Here is how i did it...I learned this from the Arthritis Foundation....."The Squat Shot"

Took it into the bathroom, closed the door, to concentrate...no phone, no interruptions

Sat on my throne.....a handicapped toilet, elevated...LOL

I injected on the side of my stomach, more fat..LOL again...we used to say it stung like battery acid.

I grabbed a section of skin,...like pinched a big section of belly......the side of it.... after i used an alcohol wipe......injected, yea it hurts.....but it's over 10, ok, 20 seconds..I marked L or R on the calendar, on the date i did it...and alternated sides

I might have gotten a redmark, a little swelling.....but nothing like the stuff that happened on 3 yrs Enbrel, injecting in my thigh...maybe thinner skin there

and after doing that, treated myself to a piece of chocolate....never had anyone else inject me...had young teens then...made sure they didn't see mom shooting up again....as they said once!

1 Like

After over a year of injecting (I use the pre-filled) I don't worry if it will hurt or not. I just poke and push until it's done. Sometimes it stings, sometimes it doesn't, I don't think about it.

Hi Louise,

My thoughts are with you and I really hope you will be given the chance to choose a biologic soon, if thatā€™s your wish.

Hi Sheila,

I was one of those Lamb referred to who was desperate to be able to choose my treatment - including a biologic - and hopefully find something that would work for me.

I have been lucky enough to find something that doesnā€™t ā€œfix itā€ by a long shot, but allows for me to contribute to, and enjoy so much more of life :slight_smile: (Enbrel)

Lifeā€™s a pretty big roller coaster, even without PsA, and everyone experiences it differently. I realize completely that your sting of Humira is likely just as intense as my joy at my weekly Enbrel shot, but they are both just fleeting moments.

Good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I've done 12 injections now, taken some advice from here, found my own ways to make it ok. I watch a YOUTUBE video while I inject, of my all time fav band. I push the med in slowly over 2 minutes. I keep the injection out of fridge for 45 minutes before I inject. No ice, the med doesn't absorb and it leaves more bruising. I pinch the skin on the abdomen and jab quickly, this isn't the part that stings. If the med is given slowly, it doesn't hurt so much. And compared to the pain of arthritis, I'll take this. I just wished it was helping me more. Hands and feet are sooooo painful.

I had my first injection 4 days ago. The injection on my stomach didnt hurt as bad but after the injection my stomach near the injection site still hurts. Basically the left side of my stomach feels like pins and needles poking at it. Its not a constant pain but comes and goes frequently. Anyone else had a simular experience?
If so, what did u do to get rid of the pain?

For injection site reaction (ISR) my rheum told me to try Zyrtec And Zantac (I'm not sure of the spelling, but the allergy med and the stomach issue med). I don't get the ISR every time, but if I takke the zyrtec I don't get it at all. If your skin feels weird where you injected than using those OTC meds can help. I have a huge bottle of Walzyr (Walgreen's Zyrtec).