Anti-inflammatory med

Hello! My rheumy put me on a anti-inflammatory called Voltaren about 6 weeks ago. And, I started feeling like a million dollars. I could walk normal and even shop for longer than normal. I started calling it the miracle drug. Over the past week or so my pain level has started increasing. But hasn’t reached the level that it was yet. Just wanted to know if anybody else has experienced this. Can you build an immunity to a anti-inflammatory?

I haven’t built immunity to anti-inflammatories, but then never felt like they were a miracle med either - just a slight dampener. When they weren’t working at all, it usually meant a flare.

Talk to your Rheumy. For other reasons, (GERD), I was recommended to take a 12 hour version in the morning, then give them a break at night. Makes waking up not very fun, but works for me. May be an option if there is such a thing as building immunity or tolerance to them.

1 Like

Hi Cathy. I use Voltaren gel on my feet. It has sort of a numbing effect, but doesn’t relieve all the pain. I didn’t know it came in pill form, too!
Sorry its effects are wearing off. I’d mention it to your doctor—he should have more options for you.

1 Like

It’s definitely possible to build a tolerance. I used Meloxicam for years and it worked wonders…then suddenly stopped working around Year 4. My Orthopedist says he sees this in a lot of his osteoarthritis patients. I don’t know what a Rheumy might say. :slight_smile:

Either way, I now use Celebrex as all of the others bother my stomach too much. He said I might be able to go back to Meloxicam after a year or so to see if my body “forgot” getting used to it. Time will tell, I guess.

1 Like

Thanks Lisa. I was just put on Cymbalta due to my pain and depression. Too early yet to say yay or nay on that. But, my family and friends say that it has worked great for them.

1 Like

I DO remember Voltaren working wonders for my knees during the 3-4 wks I took it. I just couldn’t handle the stomach problems that set in quickly. I hope it doesn’t completely stop working for you. :frowning:

–Lisa

1 Like

I’m not sure. I’m on Cymbalta for depression, actually, 90 mg, and it doesn’t help me at all in the area of pain. I am also on Neurontin, 600 mg twice a day, and as far as I can tell it only helps with the nerve pain a little. Maybe I am naturally resistant. I tried Mobic, but it did nothing and I already have NASH and my numbers for my liver were going through the roof so I stopped taking it. I’m also on Sulfasalazine, which seems to do nothing, and I use Voltaren gel sometimes and it does seem to temporarily help where I put it so that’s good. I didn’t realize they had it in pill form. They just did an ablation on my back, and I’m praying it helps, it’s my second one. Other than that, they are trying to put me on 5-325 hydrocodone but I guess insurances now only cover 7 days and don’t want to put people on 30 days, even though that dosage is like tylenol from what I’ve heard so I doubt it will help me much anyway. Just adding my nothings to the list, C’est le vie, I guess.

Voltaren didn’t do much for me, I have trouble with the smell too… I think I have a tube of it somewhere, maybe it will help my thumb that is acting up?

It can’t hurt to give it a try. I’ve found that it can work. In terms of the smell, I don’t remember an issue with it.

Most probably. I find a slap of something like that, really does help make behave a troublesome spot just behave better.

Tonight my toe is misbehaving!

Certainly doesn’t look like a very happy toe. It might like voltaren.

1 Like

And if you don’t like the voltaren smell (think it depends on the incarnation- it stinks here too), or it doesn’t work great, don’t forget there a number of topical anti-inflammatories. I often use difflam, seems to work, has a different action to the systemic nsaids, so unlikely to cause any issues doubling up.

Tried some last night, it helped a little, I guess the smell is bearable…

1 Like

I was prescribe some Pennsaids, sort of liquid NSAIDS. It’s okay, nothing to brag about and the insurance company gives me a hard time to get it. Wife uses the Voltaren on a bad knee. I tried it once and it set my heart off because it doesn’t like NSAIDs, but I rubbed it on my neck.

Going to try some CDM next. Can’t hurt.

Hiya volteron is also known as diclofenac. I have been using the tablet form for about 15 years for back problems. :blush: