Another flu shot post!

A couple of weeks ago I had my flu and pneumonia immunisation. Since then I seem to have had some small flare ups - my wrist is a bit niggly and my ankle is tingly in that annoying PsA way. Is there a link between having the immunisations and the sudden action in my joints? Or is it something else...

Prior to the jabs everything seemed sort of under control thanks to MTX.

i was not allowed by my doc to get a flu shot because of the mtx.

Interesting. I was told to have a flu immunisation because I was on MTX! This is the stance of the NHS in the UK.

I was strongly encouraged to get a flu shot as I am on mtx...but did not get a flare. Hope you are feeling better soon.

good question!

Pharmacist ,Rheum, Rheum nurse, Doc all say get the flu shot. If you are on humira and MtX do it in the off week . So for me that is Thursday . As long as the shot is not a live virus you areOK. My rheum works at a teaching hospital if that helps with this answer. I will call the pharmacist about the pneumonia shot and post back later today.

I understand that the Flu shot is fine but that because the pneumonia vaccine is a live vaccine it was not a viable option.

jot1 said:

Pharmacist ,Rheum, Rheum nurse, Doc all say get the flu shot. If you are on humira and MtX do it in the off week . So for me that is Thursday . As long as the shot is not a live virus you areOK. My rheum works at a teaching hospital if that helps with this answer. I will call the pharmacist about the pneumonia shot and post back later today.

As mentioned earlier, the pneumonia immunisation was recommended by the NHS in the UK if you’re on MTX. It was a b*gger though. The arm where the jab was became hot and incredibly painful for about 3 days. Plus my original question of flare ups. :frowning:

yes it is strange with the discrepancies... the pharmacist in IL. also said MTX was one of the drugs on the list that could not have the flu shot. it prob has to do with dosages..? anyway i was not allowed to get the shots. :)

I don't see why you couldn't get the flu shot, it is not a live vaccine, on the other hand the pneumonia one is and so you shouldn't get it.

I had to get a series of hep B vaccines before going on biologics and flared every time. Vaccines are meant to get an immune response - it's how they help you gain immunity to the disease (although none are 100% effective). For those of us with PsA, immune response from a vaccine may come with the side effect of a flare. My gastroenterologist and the doctor in the emergency department asked me if I wanted a flu vaccine and I laughed. I was in the ED because of a HUGE flare that was causing me not to be able to lift my arms. I had to explain to the ED doc that for me, vaccines cause flares, and I was bad enough already thank you.

My understanding is that you can't get a LIVE vaccine when on mtx or biologics, but can get vaccinated if it's not a live vaccine. The question is whether or not you want to risk the illness or your body's reaction to the vaccine. For me, I'd rather get the flu than get vaccinated for the flu, have a MAJOR flare, and get the flu anyway (I've gotten the flu vax twice, and gotten the flu within weeks each time).

i have my rheumy appt on wed. i will see why he doesn't want me to have the shot.... i will post his answer when i get home. :)

What nym said ^

You are not supposed to get a live version of a vaccine if you are on MTX or a biological. These are the newer forms where you get it like a nasal spray.

I do however, need to get my flu shots (non-live type) because if I do get sick, chances are good that I will be sick for awhile and it can trigger a flare up. I live in Canada for the record, and both my Rhuemy and the Rheumatic health nurses I see have said this.

patricia said:

i was not allowed by my doc to get a flu shot because of the mtx.

update... i saw my rheumy yesterday and he did give me a flu shot. he just wanted me to wait to seee him making sure it was the one he wanted. he said pharm. won't give it because of legal issues if you are on mtx. also the reason no pnemonia shot was because i have to wait 1 month after my shingles vac. makes more sense now :). doing all this before starting the embril

I had my penumonia shot while I was on MTX but not enbrel they doctor did not tell me not to have it . Infact, he told me go and get your penumonia sho with no reactions. The flu shot on Thursday and I have felt more stiff but I though that was because I was adding more time on the stationary bike and staying up late helping my daughter with her science fair project. Now I wonder if it was because of the flu shot. Have to ask the dr when I see him on Monday.