Alternative therapies?

Anyone had any success using alternative therapies for pain or inflamation? Acupressure, acupuncture, herbs, massages, etc?

Anyone have any tales of caution in using alternative therapies?

I have used chiropractic and massage and they both work wonders … but my chiropractor and massage therapist are very experienced with GENTLE manipulations and massage, which is what I need most of the time. I’d LOVE to get acupuncture, but can’t afford it. Reiki has been wonderful as well (either done to myself or by someone else … I’m hoping to get my level II Reiki by the end of the year and my Masters next year). I use paraffin wax therapy on my hands (thumb joints and fingers are horribly painful these days) and it works great. My local hair salon offers treatments for $35 - I do mine at home with equipment and wax I picked up at a thrift store (new in box!) for $7.

Nym, what's Reiki?

Have you heard of any success with acupuncture? My hands and hips are the worst, and what I worry about most; I type a lot for work, and have a side business that requires the constant use of my hands (I love it, and would sink into horrible despair if I had to give it up).

Reiki is an energy medicine practice that originated in Japan, It is used to promote healing, stress reduction and relaxation. It is administered by “laying on hands” and is based on the idea that an unseen “life force energy” (ki) flows through us and is what causes us to be alive. I took a Reiki I class because I’d heard friends talking about Reiki and wanted to learn more - and was very skeptical going into it - and it proved to be absolutely amazing and wonderful. :slight_smile:

Hi Emily. I’m new to the site and see you are also in Alabama and read your question and have problems with primarily one hip to the point that it’s over twice the normal size and has been for six plus months now. Kinda gave out on me at work. I’m one I’d the store managers for a large retain chain and was walking around in women’s clothing and my hip just gave out. Kinda felt like it popped out. So much pain and was told to drive myself home for the rest of the day off. I was in bed for 24 hours. Never fully recovered I am on disability leave from work for now and am told by my drs I won’t be returning. And yet I have a craft business called Cajun Created that I still want to grow. I’m from lafayette, Louisiana hence the Cajun name.

Interested in any thing you come up with

Emily said:

Nym, what’s Reiki?

Have you heard of any success with acupuncture? My hands and hips are the worst, and what I worry about most; I type a lot for work, and have a side business that requires the constant use of my hands (I love it, and would sink into horrible despair if I had to give it up).