Advice from those with MTX experience

Hi Darinfan I have had a similar experience I had no problems at the start with methotrexate but then I started getting some side effects. I to have a slow gut and I take my Methotrexate on a Monday but I used to find it running out on Saturday in terms my arthritis symptoms would start to get worse. It was my Dermo who told me to try it via a subcutaneous injections which I found it really helped. I also know as I’m sure you do to that those steroids will help as well. My guts are always better when on the steroids. I hope you get some relief and feel better soon.

1 Like

Hey Darinfan!

I’ve been on methotrexate for a while now, and I agree with everyone on here! The symptoms of nausea and headaches and general feeling of tiredness usually occurs within 24hrs!

However my doctor mentioned that sometimes with Psoriatic Arthritis people can have generally upset stomach’s and intolerance to certain foods. I however also have hypermobility so my stomach overworks sometimes too - which adds to my GI issues. So I’m not sure how much of a role the PsA actually plays, but might be something to look into! x

1 Like

Well, as an update, I am assuming that my MTX journey is likely to end this week. Since I’ve been on the injections instead of the tablets, I’ve had no less than three skin infections (just as I had with sulfasalazine), the appearance of blisters on my hands, itching all over my body, and now a nice case of hives and swollen glands to go with it. And due to be going away next week!

Just about ready to break!

Awww… I’m sorry to hear you have had soo much trouble with the Mtx!!! Completely understand how you would feel about ready break!! It is a difficult time!! :frowning_face:

On a more positive note though, it seems that failing Mtx can lead to quicker access to biologics… here’s hoping they get you on to something that works well and has little/no SE’s really quickly!!!

All the best!!!

Here’s hoping! x

1 Like

Definitely hoping for you. I tolerate sulfasalazine well but it’s yet to ‘do’ anything at all.

I seem to have had about two days a week of PsA relief during the MTX, but whether that has anything to do with the drug or not, I have no idea. Either way, spoke with the hospital today and they said don’t take it, and to get ready for biologics in October. They were willing to offer me steroids in the meantime but voiced caution due to the sore/infection on my leg, and so have decided to wait a week and see how things are. I have enough to worry about without inspecting my leg every five minutes. I’d get paranoid. I have five days worth of steroids to help with London next week, but they said that such a short course wouldn’t cause the same problems. So, I’m going off to the Albert Hall and then a spree on Oxford Street and to hell with PsA for a few days! Bankruptcy courts he we come! :wink:

1 Like

Great attitude and best of luck.

Thanks, Poo. The Hives disappeared but have come back now, which isn’t very useful, but I’m assuming there’s still MTX in me somewhere still.