Achilles tendon pain

Any advise on achilles tendon pain?? The podiatrist told me no injections and no streching. My rheumatologist PA told me to ice them and gave me prednisone. She told me not to wrap them or they would get weak. This pain has come out of no where and won't go away. Everytime I start to taper down on the prednisone it comes screaming back. Should I see what an orthopedic doc says? Thanks.

Orthopods really only deal with bones not tendons. They tend to see them as something to get around to get to a joint. I use to soak mine in a hot bath and confine my exercise to the pool as once they get inflamed they tend to stay inflamed if stretched at all on hard ground. I only use ice on new areas of pain or if it is above 90 and humid. I also use Salonpas patches directly on the swollen area. For me it was always at the base of the big calf muscle at the top part of the Achilles tendon. I think for most people it is lower on the heel. I also would hobble like an old lady when they were inflamed trying not to further irritate them. Are you on a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NASID) like Ibuprofen or Aleve? That also helps immensely. The Salonpas has some anti-inflammatory in it but since it is absorbed topically my Rheumy says it is fine to use both. You might ask yours to be sure.

I am using ibuprofen and norco when things are really bad. I have never tried the Salonpas so I will give that a try. Thanks for the response.

michael in vermont said:

Orthopods really only deal with bones not tendons. They tend to see them as something to get around to get to a joint. I use to soak mine in a hot bath and confine my exercise to the pool as once they get inflamed they tend to stay inflamed if stretched at all on hard ground. I only use ice on new areas of pain or if it is above 90 and humid. I also use Salonpas patches directly on the swollen area. For me it was always at the base of the big calf muscle at the top part of the Achilles tendon. I think for most people it is lower on the heel. I also would hobble like an old lady when they were inflamed trying not to further irritate them. Are you on a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NASID) like Ibuprofen or Aleve? That also helps immensely. The Salonpas has some anti-inflammatory in it but since it is absorbed topically my Rheumy says it is fine to use both. You might ask yours to be sure.

Any of the NSAID work best as a scheduled drug. I don't know how large or small you are but the dose range for Ibuprofen could be 400 mg (2 of the over the counter (OTC) 200 mg tabs) to 800 mg twice a day with Pepcid or Zantaac to protect your stomach (also OTC). I am 5'7'' and 190 lbs, I took 4 of the OTC twice a day. Little ladies might take 2 of the OTC size.

I liked Aleve (naproxen) better. I thought it was easier on my stomach but I still took Pepcid with it. I took 2 twice a day but 1 twice a day for some smaller.

Make sure your Doc is ok with this. Most of us start with NASID then the Doc adds a DMARD (Disease Modifying anti-Rheumatoid Drug) like methotrexate (mtx) and then they add a Biologic if needed. A lot of us have to take all three to get control over PsA.

You can add Tylenol as needed for pain. I take Celebrex 200mg or Aleve 500 mg twice a day with 1000 mg of Tylenol every day. I don't like narcs or steroids and this regime keeps me pretty comfortable. I add hot baths, heating pads or throws and Salonpas or Tiger Balm patches as needed.

Remember check with your doctor. This is my opinion only and what works for me.

Thanks Michael. I am also on remicaide. Maybe when I get my next infusion life will be better.

michael in vermont said:

Any of the NSAID work best as a scheduled drug. I don't know how large or small you are but the dose range for Ibuprofen could be 400 mg (2 of the over the counter (OTC) 200 mg tabs) to 800 mg twice a day with Pepcid or Zantaac to protect your stomach (also OTC). I am 5'7'' and 190 lbs, I took 4 of the OTC twice a day. Little ladies might take 2 of the OTC size.

I liked Aleve (naproxen) better. I thought it was easier on my stomach but I still took Pepcid with it. I took 2 twice a day but 1 twice a day for some smaller.

Make sure your Doc is ok with this. Most of us start with NASID then the Doc adds a DMARD (Disease Modifying anti-Rheumatoid Drug) like methotrexate (mtx) and then they add a Biologic if needed. A lot of us have to take all three to get control over PsA.

You can add Tylenol as needed for pain. I take Celebrex 200mg or Aleve 500 mg twice a day with 1000 mg of Tylenol every day. I don't like narcs or steroids and this regime keeps me pretty comfortable. I add hot baths, heating pads or throws and Salonpas or Tiger Balm patches as needed.

Remember check with your doctor. This is my opinion only and what works for me.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the next Remicade infusion brings you relief. I am switching from Remicade to Stelara this month. Maybe then I will be able to uncross my fingers! ) Ok bad joke....

I did physical therapy for my achilles and other ankle issues. The primary issue was the achilles. Not sure if the orthopedist would really do much different than you are already doing.

Made me smile!!

michael in vermont said:

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the next Remicade infusion brings you relief. I am switching from Remicade to Stelara this month. Maybe then I will be able to uncross my fingers! ) Ok bad joke....

I wondered about PT also. Thanks for responding.

Stoney said:

I did physical therapy for my achilles and other ankle issues. The primary issue was the achilles. Not sure if the orthopedist would really do much different than you are already doing.

I am glad. Smiles help.

I have bad Achilles pain too! Sometimes I soak them in cool water and then warm water. For whatever reason no medication really helps them BUT I do find if I wear my little high boots during the day they don’t ache as much.