2013 Published Papers

The site crashed but should be up soon Although this will take you to a cached copy. Their are numerous papers published on a numbe of topice we have hit latley including exercise:a two fold increase in function, the 13 new gene groups found in addition to HLA-B27, the cardiac risks, the increase risks and pain levels for women (i really caught it for that one), neuropatic pain, the ineffectiveness of Low Dose Predi.

This is the cache (the links work) http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.nass.co.uk/research/published-clinical-papers-2013/&strip=1

This is the actual Link: http://www.nass.co.uk/research/published-clinical-papers-2013/

There should be something for everyone but I suggest theses for sure Don't let the Ankylosing Spondylitis throw you Internationally spondyloarthritis (SpA) ankylosing spondylitis and psoriatic arthritis (PsA) are almost interchangeable as both AS and PsA are spondyloarthritis. Theis list happened to be put together by a British Society still using AS as their title. There is a consortium working to rename/reclassify all of these diseases.

High disease activity is related to low levels of physical activity in patients with ankylosing spondylitis

This paper appeared in Clinical Rheumatology. It aimed to compare physical activity levels and exercise habits in AS patients who had high disease activity with those who have low disease activity. Researchers found AS patients with high disease activity had lower weekly energy expenditure than patients with low disease activity. They suggest that for optimal management, health professionals should focus on physical activity in their consultations with AS patients, especially those with high disease activity.

Treating spondyloarthritis, including ankylosing spondylitis and psoriatic arthritis, to target: recommendations of an international task force

This clinical paper was published in the Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases.

Therapeutic targets have been defined for diseases like diabetes, hypertension or rheumatoid arthritis and adhering to them has improved outcomes. Such targets are just emerging for spondyloarthritis (SpA). The objective of this research was to define the treatment target for SpA including ankylosing spondylitis and psoriatic arthritis (PsA) and develop recommendations for achieving the target, including a treat-to-target management strategy.

The group agreed on 5 overarching principles and 11 recommendations; 9 of these recommendations related commonly to the whole spectrum of SpA and PsA, and only 2 were designed separately for axial SpA, peripheral SpA and PsA.

The main treatment target, which should be based on a shared decision with the patient, was defined as remission, with the alternative target of low disease activity. Follow-up examinations at regular intervals that depend on the patient's status should safeguard the evolution of disease activity towards the targeted goal. Additional recommendations relate to extra-articular and extramusculoskeletal aspects and other important factors, such as comorbidity. While the level of evidence was generally quite low, the mean strength of recommendation was 9-10 (10: maximum agreement) for all recommendations. A research agenda was formulated.

Long-term outcome of patients with active ankylosing spondylitis with etanercept - sustained efficacy and safety after seven years

This paper was published in Arthritis Research and Therapy in June 2013. It confirms the clinical efficacy and safety of etanercept in patients with active AS over 7 years of continuous treatment. After 7 years, more than half of the initially treated patients remained on anti-TNF therapy, and a third were in partial remission.

Long-term outcome of patients with active ankylosing spondylitis with etanercept - sustained efficacy and safety after seven years

This paper was published in Arthritis Research and Therapy in June 2013. It confirms the clinical efficacy and safety of etanercept in patients with active AS over 7 years of continuous treatment. After 7 years, more than half of the initially treated patients remained on anti-TNF therapy, and a third were in partial remission.

Female patients with ankylosing spondylitis: analysis of the impact of gender across treatment studies

This Dutch study appeared in the Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases and examined the impact (if any) of gender on the clinical, functional and patient-reported outcomes of treatment using data pooled from four controlled clinical trials. The researchers concluded that women had a higher burden of disease and less improvement in AS outcome measures compared with men. This was observed despite women having a later disease onset of shorter duration; the mechanism behind this observation is unclear. The researchers argue that additional research is necessary to better understand female patients with AS and the burden of disease in this population.

This is gonna keep me busy and outta trouble :slight_smile:
Thanks Lamb x

The site is live again: http://www.nass.co.uk/research/published-clinical-papers-2013/

BTW they have several years of studies cached if you get really bored.......

Thanks Lamb for again empowering/arming us with knowledge, it is so important!

Papers? Yay! I was going to work tonight. Now I know how I’ll spend my evening!

lots of good reading there!

just another wee quote from my Dad..seems fitting..'if you don't use it..you loose it'

any small amount of excersise be it aquatic, yoga or just ROM is going to help for sure.

These look very interesting! Now to find the time to read...

Great information. Thanks so much!!