"You do not have Psoriatic Arthritis"

More medical tourism. I picked up a cold on the trip overseas, but in ten days or so, it seemed to be pretty much gone. Then it came back. And got worse. Until finally, I was coughing, sweating, trembling and weak. So off I went to the ER in a beautiful German mountain town, expecting a prescription for an antibiotic. Instead, they admitted me. But I digress.
At intake, I explained to the ER about my Psoriatic Arthritis. The doctor stopped me, looked concerned and announced "You do not have Psoriatic Arthritis."
Oh please, gimme a break … what now?
And then he continued, "You have Psoriatic Arthroses. Arthroses is inflammatory and very very serious. Do not call it arthritis."
How about that. I explained to the good doc that in English, we have only one word to use. Herr Dr. shook his head, scowled, and pronounced, “This is not good.”

LOL, no, not fully recovered but starting to improve. Herr Dr. said it often takes a very long time to recover from viral infections. I have an appointment with my GP in a couple of weeks and will pick her brain if I need to.

Herr Dr also said that I need to take it very easy. That’s takes a bit of doing when travelling, but I’m giving it my best shot.

Good for him! Feel better soon.

I’m with Sybil, I was rolling my eyes until I got to the punch line. Sorry you’ve been through the travel-induced wringer again. You know this is NOT what they mean when they say “medical tourism”?

Why did he admit you? Did it turn out to be pneumonia? Are you going to stop the biologic for awhile? And, I love Sybil's comment--the German attention to detail....yep, we Germans do tend to have that quality!!!

I love that the Germans have another word! Boy would that make life so much easier. People would no longer confuse it with OA and realize it is serious.

Yes, Sybil, I’m beginning to think a travel guide would be a good idea. LOL, I know that “real” medical tourism is something different, but hey, I do it myyyyyyy waaaaaaaay.
Well, Herr Doktor admitted me for observation and to make me rest. He didn’t know whether it was pneumonia, or an embolism (yikes) or a heart issue. Testing showed none of the above. All x-rays and tests clear. The only thing really outta whack was my CRP. He came to the conclusion that it was a nasty viral infection. (And we didn’t even discuss the other obvious cause of elevated CRP … no need, requires no immediate action.)
So I completely agree with the arthroses vs arthritis thing. So what’s to stop all of us for using that uber-kool word? Kind of like a secret handshake!
FWIW, the Kreisklinik Berchtesgaden (google an image!) was the most beautiful hospital I’ve ever seen, let alone been in. The care was excellent. And the windows were open and I could smell the alpine grass and flowers. I would have broken into “The hills are aliiiiive …” except that i was coughing too much.
Some day I will tell you about my trip to the ER in India. Yes, you heard me right.

oh dear Seenie my friend...what are we going to do with you... Now, I know all toddlers have to see every bathroom in every store, restaurant, business, gas station, etc. they come across. BUT, must you have to see the ER/Hospital in every country?LOL Seriously, hope you are doing much better by now. I agree with the arthrosis thing also and have seen it in some of my records. Herr Doctor is very smart!! We need more like him over here. I will google the hospital too, so glad it was at least a pleasant experience(well sort of since u were feeling so bad, at least you were in a nice place).

LOL!!

I had never heard of arthrosis. So I looked it up. What I’m finding is its another name for OA. Did he tell you anything different?

You’re right, Clicklbd,the nice doc would have more correctly used the term “arthropathy”. Here’s a post about that
http://discussion.livingwithpsoriaticarthritis.org/forum/topics/what-a-difference-a-word-makes?commentId=6339595%3AComment%3A176208