Worried daughter

Not even sure where to start really but i was kind of hoping to get some advice or words of wisdom on how yall cope and encourage your friend or family member with PsA.

My mom has had PsA for as long as I can remember but the last 10 years it has gotten worse and worse. I dont pretend to know what she is going through but Im so worried about her. She just suffered her 2nd "fall" in the last year breaking her arm and last month she "fell asleep" and wrecked her car. Every time im around her she falls asleep at weird time (while eating, walking, talking). She sleeps for days and days and wont return phone calls for a week at a time.

I just dont know if this is normal behavior for someone with PsA. I know she takes a lot of pain medication and im not sure if she is being safe with the amount anymore. Im just really concerned for her and really want to know how best I can help her.

Anyone have an experience with this or have any advice for me I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!

Nothing you have said including amounts of pain medication sound like PsA. I'm thinking a sit down with her doc an you may help. Something just isn't right.

My mom takes a lot of pain meds for permanent nerve damage related to back surgeries. After falling asleep while driving her doctor insisted on doing a sleep study, and she was diagnosed with sleep apnea.

It sounds like your mom has a lot going on, not necessarily related to PsA. If she's on a lot of pain meds related to PsA then her disease is not being treated. But the falling asleep, she needs a full medical workup. If you have to, take her in yourself so that you can express your concerns.

Hi, your mum is lucky you are talking note of what is happening. I agree with what's already been said, and think she definitely needs to see her doc with you at her side, as she may not be fully aware how often she is dropping off. Falling asleep while driving, eating, talking and walking is NOT normal for anyone and extremely dangerous. You are right to be concerned.

Good luck x

Thanks for the feedback, glad to know Im not totally off with how im feeling and my concerns!!

I agree with the others. While exhaustion can be a part of PsA, that level of exhaustion is definitely of concern. A visit to the doctor, preferably with you or someone else with her to voice concerns and give perspective, could be of great benefit.

In addition to what everyone else has offered, you might also want to check with her insurance company (primary and secondary) to see fi they have any benefits for a home health assessment. They can have an RN go into the home, look at her medications, do a pill count of narcs, and do a safety assessment. If she has that benefit, take advantage of it.