My 17 year old daughter has me worried

She injured her ankle playing softball on Sunday and was still limping today. So I took her in to have it checked. The x-ray showed no sign of a break but signs of arthritis. The PA that saw her knows I have PsA and I was shocked to hear him just abruptly point it out on the x-ray like that.

I was going to get her back to our dermatologist anyhow because she has raised bumps around her hairline like I get. She also has peeling skin on the soles of her feet. She is super athletic and this has me scared to death! If she has this I will feel such a horrible guilt.

So far I haven't let on what I am thinking because I don't want her to worry.

Thoughts?

Littleredhairedgirl,

I am sorry for your guilt and fear. My son has a rash on his elbow which we worry is the P. All we can do is be alert and pray we didn't pass it on. But there are lots of diseases that the tendency for is passed on and some are much worse than PsA, though days like today it is hard for me to remember! I hurt all over! There is little to do but teach them healthy habits and say a prayer. My son is 18 and away at college. I'll keep your daughter in my prayers too.

My 10 yr old daughter has some psoriasis on her knees and elbows, which isn't too surprising. My husband and I both have psoriasis, although mine is limited to knees and elbows. Mine probably showed up around her age as well. That's really scary that there is arthritis in her ankle already. Take her to the rheumatologist, get blood work done, and see what they can do. While I would be feeling horrible too, diagnosis and aggressive treatment is necessary for an improved long-term prognosis.