Working in a School while on a Biologic

I was wondering if any of you work in schools as a teacher or assistant principal or principal and are around kids all day? I'm at central office in our school district, but really miss being on campus with the kids and am applying for an assistant principal position so I can have a more direct positive influence and work with our kiddos. However, once on a biologic, I know my immune system will be somewhat compromised and I'll be more susceptible to colds, etc. Do any of you work with kids and if so, what do you do to avoid getting sick? Education is my life's passion and working with at-risk kids to get them going on the right track is my dream and mission. Besides the folic acid are there any other supplements/vitamins that I should take while on a biologic to keep from getting colds. In schools you're exposed to so much from so many daily! Please advise. Thanks!

Hi! I work in a hospital and interact with patients on a daily basis so I am literally around sick people all the time. I am also on a biologic, enbrel. I havent gotten sick lately but I do try to take precautions. The best thing you can do is wash your hands as much as possible. Wash them all the time! Not only when you go to the bathroom. I also keep anti-bacterial handy at all times and use it after I shake hands or touch something that may have germs, try not to stand too close to those that have a cold or flu, and avoid touching my face (eyes, nose, mouth). A very big one is that I avoid touching anything lots of people do (door knobs, light switches, rails, phones, handles, lunch trays and all the sort). If you have to touch it, like a door knob, use a disposable towel or napkin. I even use the inside of my jacket or scarf if I have too. I totally feel like a major germaphobe but hey its working for me. Kids definitely have less boundaries than adults, so good luck and dont let this illness stop your dream.

Thanks so much for this advice Xvanex! I see you're living your dream job too working to help patients! Awesome!! I will do all that you have said! I tend to wash my hands a lot as it is, but I'll start keeping more anti-bacterial gel both in my desk and in my purse. I haven't touched a gas pump since the summer of 1991 when I had the misfortune to witness something very gross. Freaked me clean out! So I started keeping napkins in my car so that when I had to pump gas I could use the napkin to cover the pump. Of course now, many gas stations have the paper towels there which is nice and helps stop the spread of germs. I used to teach elementary and the kids are literally all over you. But I've also taught middle school and I really want either middle school or high school since the last few years I've been working mostly with at-risk high school students. This is a little better because the older kids aren't in your lap and so close to you all day. But they're still in your office a lot, etc. so I want to be prepared. Thanks a bunch!! I'm glad you've been able to continue your work as well. With this illness, I bet you're especially understanding of what your patients are going through and they're lucky to have you!! :-)

This is not my post....I lifted it off the internet....I think this is a little extreme for evryday life...on the other hand, I don't come in contact with a bunch of people either. Some things I do, such as: wash my hands a million times a day and use lotion. I just thought it might help with some ideas. Plus, I wouldn't have to type a bunch of stuff either!!

"DO wash your hands - a lot! My Rheumy even said that I should use antibacterial soap. Use hand sanitizer but remember that only kills bacteria. You still have to wash your hands to get rid of lots of germy things that aren't bacteria.

I don't get the flu shot because of an allergy but we practice "herd immunization" which means my hubby and daughter get the flu shot so they are much less likely to pass it to me. DO NOT get the nasal vaccine (and your family shouldn't either) because the nasal vaccine IS the live vaccine. You have to have the injection which is the dead vaccine.

Similarly, get the pneumonia shot - which is only good for the viral form of pneumonia (not the bacterial kind) but at least it is something.

My Rheumy allowed me a Z-pack in the house at all times so there wouldn't be a delay in starting it. I would call him before starting it, though. It is hard because the beginning of a flare feels a lot like coming down with the flu.

You'll learn fast what to avoid - mostly avoid public water sources. Mom's right. I wouldn't swim in the river. Heck, I avoided a public swimming pool if I even suspected the chlorine levels weren't high enough. Obviously, you'll never again drink from a public water fountain but also avoid fountain drinks (like from a dispenser machine because the nozzles are filthy), restaurant water, iced tea, lemonade (usually diluted with tap water), and anything with ice in it. Pretend you're vacationing in Mexico and take the same precautions.

The water avoidance extends to anything where you might breath in water vapor - public showers and decorative fountains, for instance.

Don't touch your hands to your face. I also worked at a school when I was on Enbrel and just got really good about avoiding contact and transmitting it to myself.

Oh, and MOISTURIZE your hands frequently. The germs love to hide in the little dry cracks in your skin which makes them harder to wash away and, thus, easier to transmit to yourself when you rub your eye, take out your contact lenses, or eat.

As far as quarantining yourself from your kids, but the time they are showing symptoms of being sick, they have already infected you. People transmit germs in the incubation period, before they realize they have the disease. You'll take extra measure to make sure you don't come down with the disease hard - like take zinc or use zinc nasal swabs, and increase that prednisone or the steroid of choice"

Thanks! Yes, that does seem a bit extreme, but it's still helpful info. I just got back from my Rheumy and he's delaying my MTX because he wants me to start taking birth control again. Then he'll start me on a higher dosage of the MTX. He gave me some Humira reading material and said that after a month on the MTX if he doesn't see enough improvement he'll begin me on the Humira. So he doesn't want me to take my next dosage of MTX which was going to be tomorrow morning. This means I'll only be on the 2400mg of Ibuprofen and the prednisone (Yuck!) before I can start back on the real meds that deal with the core of this disease. I was all excited about my appointment but it turned out to be rather anticlimactic. AND....I ended up getting 3 shots in my knee! I had one to numb it, one insertion of the needle to aspirate it, and then the final steroid shot! NOT FUN!! :-( sad face.

Ladies, does your Rheumy want you to either have had a tubal ligation, hysterectomy, be post-menopause, or on birth control pills or shots? Also, how long does it take before you find that the MTX is working and which do you see first, joint pain or the psoriasis improving?

I'm a homeschooling mom of five who takes care of other people's kids (even when they're sick!), is at libraries, museums, science centers, homeschool co-op, etc. etc. etc. with the kids and their friends and lots of other kids all the time. I'm on Remicade. Hand washing is key, as is keeping yourself as healthy as possible through good diet, etc. and making sure you get enough rest.

I'm done having kids, and my husband has had a vasectomy, so my rheumy is comfortable with me being on a biologic and not being on birth control (I have a BAD reaction to birth control!). It's important not to get pregnant when on biologics, as they can damage the fetus.

I've been on Enbrel for 16 months. I don't take anymore precautions than before and I haven't had any more colds or infections or anything else than before. From the drug study, it doesn't look like Enbrel increases the chance of getting a cold at all.

As for pregnancy, the biologics aren't known or even suspected to be a problem, but they haven't been tested (who would sign up?). From Enbrel's prescribing guide:

8.1 Pregnancy
Pregnancy Category B. Developmental toxicity studies have been performed in rats and rabbits at doses ranging
from 60- to 100-fold higher than the human dose and have revealed no evidence of harm to the fetus due to Enbrel.
There are, however, no studies in pregnant women. Because animal reproduction studies are not always predictive
of human response, this drug should be used during pregnancy only if clearly needed.

Other DMARDS like MTX are a big problem with pregnancy.

When you're talking TB and drug resistant staph infections, I think I'd be careful too!

I'm talking about everyday upper resp. infections. The last two times my family got sick, I didn't, and no, I'm not sleeping in the dog house. TBH it almost seems as if the Enbrel is boosting my immunity, but I know that's just an illusion. My wife works in a school and the kids go to school. I work in an office where we all have our "personal space". :p

Hi Nym,

At my appointment Friday my doctor took me off the MTX for a little while so I can start on BC pills. I didn't like being on the BC pills and my mother-in-law suggested tubal ligation. I wonder if my Rheumy would give me a referal for that so that my insurance would cover it. I've also heard about Adiana and Essure which are relatively new, less invasive, yet permanent BC methods. Have you heard of either of these? I realize now how important it is to be either post menopausal, to have had a hysterectomy or tubal ligation, or to be on BC pills while on MTX. Boy.....men have it soooo easy!! Geesh! :-)

nym said:

I'm a homeschooling mom of five who takes care of other people's kids (even when they're sick!), is at libraries, museums, science centers, homeschool co-op, etc. etc. etc. with the kids and their friends and lots of other kids all the time. I'm on Remicade. Hand washing is key, as is keeping yourself as healthy as possible through good diet, etc. and making sure you get enough rest.

I'm done having kids, and my husband has had a vasectomy, so my rheumy is comfortable with me being on a biologic and not being on birth control (I have a BAD reaction to birth control!). It's important not to get pregnant when on biologics, as they can damage the fetus.

Wow Andrew!! That's great that the Enbrel is working so well for you!! I hope I'm as lucky with the Humira. But first I have to get back on the MTX and he's going to up my dosage of it. I just have to be on the BC pills for a few weeks first. It really sounds like Humira and Enbrel are so similar. My Rheumy seems to like Humira for me. I don't know why. I'm beginning to believe it's all about finding that perfect cocktail of medicines for each person. Thanks for your replly!

Andrew said:

When you're talking TB and drug resistant staph infections, I think I'd be careful too!

I'm talking about everyday upper resp. infections. The last two times my family got sick, I didn't, and no, I'm not sleeping in the dog house. TBH it almost seems as if the Enbrel is boosting my immunity, but I know that's just an illusion. My wife works in a school and the kids go to school. I work in an office where we all have our "personal space". :p

Thanks for your reply Grumpy! I don't think anyone here would fault you one bit for taking good care of yourself and protecting your health!! I know I don't! Sounds pretty darn reasonable to me! Thanks for the great ideas and helpful post!! ;-)

GrumpyCat said:

My oldest son had the flu a few weeks ago. I made him stay in his room and keep out of the common areas of the house, but he didn't feel like moving around much anyway. I didn't get sick at that time, and like I said I haven't been sick in at least a year. I have no idea if my germaphobe precautions have made the difference or not? It works for me and makes me feel like I have SOME control over this. It just makes me feel better.

Really, the only time i get really worried is around flu season, even if I get my flu shot!

Andrew said:

If I was on MTX then I would take extra precautions concerning cols and flu. MTX does increase your chance of getting sick.

Enbrel and Humira are quite similar. Sometimes A dermatologist told me that they're similar but that Humira is stronger on psoriasis and that he sees a few more colds on Humira. I didn't really analyze Humira's drug study, so I can't tell you. I just know Enbrel, but if Enbrel stops working, I'll use Humira the next week if I can get it that fast.