Why did I not know about SUGAR and Psoriasis & PSA?

Six weeks ago I watched the NZ documentary "That Sugar Film" and decided to reduce my sugar intake to less than 4 tsps a day (that gives me 2 slices of healthy bread) .. I did it for general health reasons when I realized that the average person eats 40 tsps of sugar a day. (A lot of sugar is hidden in everyday food).

Anyway.. guess what?... My 25 yr old psoriasis is 85% improved and my PSA is only a very faint annoyance in only six weeks.

I just went online to see if it was the drastic reduction in my sugar intake that was causing these results. And it appears that it was.

So many articles relating to the damage sugar does to the body and, in particular, to psoriasis and arthritis sufferers.

I have my very first appointment with a Rhemy tomorrow.. only six weeks ago my psoriasis was red, bleeding and flaring. My grandchildren giggled at "Bubba's cankles" as I hobbled around the kitchen making them breakfast.

Today I am back in New Zealand and running around the property mowing lawns, weedwacking and raking leaves with gusto.

So, for anyone who, like me, did not know about the SUGAR effect... I thought I would pass this on.

It will be interesting to find out if the Doctor relates sugar intake to PSA symptoms.. I'll let you know.

Cheers..

1 Like

Just returned from the Rhemy. So excited to finally have an appointment after waiting six months. Great Doctor.. thorough and informative about PSA. However, due to my miraculous improvement in my PSA over the past six weeks I was almost skipping into his office with slender ankles and rosy cheeks.

So after waiting for months to go on Embrel... I don't even come close to qualifying for the medication here in New Zealand.

I did, however, share my "SUGAR REDUCTION" and the Doctor said to just continue on with what I am doing - but explained that sometimes PSA goes into remission and if it does flare up again I will need to revisit the situation.

I have my next appointment with my dermatologist next month. So, hopefully my psoriasis will be much improved by then and I may be able to go "drug free" and "sugar free". (I apply Daivonex ointment daily to treat my psoriasis which covers 70% of my body- )

The Rhemy looked at the Flaxseed Oil I take daily and said that it is supposed to help with PSA. He did not seem to be aware of the sugar effect.... but was very supportive of what I am doing as my health is excellent and, after examination, there was no sign of the previous swollen and painful joints.

So after my allergies to every oral medication (Methotrexate, Neoral, and Daivobet ointment) I look forward to continued improvement with my sugar free diet.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this had not heard that before. Look forward to you hopefully updating your progress here and will start tracking mine see if I can get similar results or see the connection.

I agree sugar is really bad for us. When I had neuropathy in my feet a few years ago, if I ate ice cream it seemed to trigger more painful and intense burning. Idk if ice cream has a higher concentration of sugar than say, like a candy bar or cookie, but maybe the combination of fat and sugar was the culprit. I've been suggesting to my daughter to decrease her kids' intake of sugar, but she doesn't listen to me. I know high fructose corn syrup is really bad, and it's in so many things!

Anyway, I'm going to TRY to take your advice and cut back on sugar to see if I feel better. I only have a few little patches of psoriasis on my legs now that I'm on Enbrel, and mild symptoms of PsA here and there--nothing I can't tolerate. But, it would be great to have less or no symptoms!!!!!

Hi, Grandma J ... I was an ice cream lover too.. It has been 2 months now without sugar in my diet and my PSA is still so much better. I even wore high heeled shoes yesterday for the first time since I have had PSA. I changed into flat shoes after a few hours as I had almost forgotten how to walk in them.. hee hee.. I can still feel it in my ankles and knees but it does not effect my walking anymore.

My psoriasis is still visible but not inflamed. I have my appointment with my Dermatologist next Thursday .. I really don't know what to think about Enbrel... it seems as though I am sensitive to every medication to date and am worried that I might have an adverse reaction to this drug too..

Yes, sugar is a main cause of obesity, enlarged, bloated stomachs and so many ailments... I wish I had known about it before. I certainly am slimmer and healthier than I have been for many years.

Rachael... thanks for your comment... I hope the Sugar free diet is working for you too. Let me know.

Hi Kiwi Writer--I just wanted to ask how it's going.....are you still seeing good results with the sugar reduction? I noticed you said your psoriasis covers 70%-here in America that would be considered severe and you would qualify for Enbrel. I felt really good yesterday morning-almost 100% pain free for a few hours--I couldn't figure out if it was the amazing mild summer weather we had for a few days or was it because I've reduced my sugar intake. (Not to two tsp. a day, but less than I had been eating. If it works, what a simple remedy!)

Hi Grandma J..

Yes, still on almost NO SUGAR and my PSA is still very, very mild. It is more difficult here in NZ to qualify for Enbrel for Psoriasis. You have to go through all the oral medication first..

So glad that your PSA is showing signs of summer warmth.. (or low sugar)... and is on the improve. I have to say that it works for me. My psoriasis is less inflamed too....

It sounds as if you’re on a roll, Kiwi Writer! You’ve been approved for Enbrel, which – fingers grossed – will slow the damage that PsA could do to you, and you’ve found a lifestyle modification which reduces your symptoms. What great news. (For the newbies amongst us, your experience is a good illustration of of the difference between disease control and symptom control.)
Don’t forget to let us know how things are going for you!

Thanks Seenie... Yes.. hopefully all my blood tests etc come back OK and I am approved for Enbrel... I am still amazed at how good my ankles are since cutting back on sugar... Funny, I am not even missing sweets now and I was a sweet junkie... Hope all is well with you... cheers...

So, curiously I do see some connection. I have been and normaly do avid sweets but tried cutting more. You may be on to something here. Did you cut or reduce carbs that are high in sugar as well? Congrats on the Enbrel. Be sure to give it a good try like 3 months. For me it worked slow but finally starting to get the results others had quickly. I also started on normal dose bbut if you can do the extra starter pack that would be the way to go! (it's a 2x a week regimen rather than 1x a week). Good luck and thanks again for sharing the sugar finding.

Hi Rachael,

Yes, I am trying to reduce carbs which are high in sugar... My biggest problem is cutting down on bread... but I choose the variety that is lowest in sugar.. I am eating mostly protein and veges... I do eat a couple of fruits a day.. which are also high in natural sugar. Glad that you are seeing some improvement.

Thanks for the advise on Enbrel. I was wondering how long it would take to see results.. now I won't expect any sudden changes. I am not sure what dosage I will be put on...

Cheers

You know, there are a fair number of people who find that a low carbohydrate diet really helps their PsA symptoms. Myself, I feel best when I watch my intake of all carbs.

As for your starting dose, it usually depends on who prescribes it for you, and why. If a dermatologist orders it primarily for your psoriasis, the starting dose is twice a week. If a rheum orders it for PsA, it will be once. Don’t ask me why!

1 Like