What is going on with my foot?

Hi folks! I was finally dxd with PsA last year at the age of 56. Have had psoriasis since 14. And since 2008 I have had serious joint and spine issues. Plus I have Crohn’s dxd when I was 42. My lower facet joints, hips, knees, ankles and feet seem to be the most impacted. I am not on a biologic yet as there is concern I may have coronary issues. Okay, here is the BURNING QUESTION (pun intended!). Almost 3 weeks ago I was in bed having a late morning nap. Had been battling a flare with my colon. All of a sudden my right foot went from warm/normal to cold, white and almost completely numb (pins and needles). It stayed this way until the early morning of the next day when some feeling returned. Then the redness, inflammation set in at the ball of my foot and my toes. Bright red when my foot is down, paling when foot is up. My toes are so tender that even the sheets brushing against them sends me into a frenzy. I also have tenderness and pain on the inside ankle/tibial area, extending up into my calf. Right outside ankle is swollen, as is right knee, but they are always like this and there is no redness or heat in them. Walking is excruciating, and the nights are the worst. If I manage to get to sleep I wake up with screaming pain and numbess. I went to my rheumy on 8/14 and he poked, prodded, then asked if I wanted a “shot”. Yeah, why not? Seriously painful ordeal (and rheumy seemed perplexed that I broke out in a sweat and moaned in agony as he put the needle in deeper), but I was willing to try anything. It did not change anything. In fact nothing has changed since this began and I am starting to think it never will. I am walking with a cane (barely), flat on my back with a raised foot and ice packs (frequently) and basically useless. NSAIDs are a no-no for me. Hydrocodone helps take the edge off, but very little. I have read EVERYTHING regarding these symptoms and gone from bloot clot/PAD?, Neuropathy?, Tarsal Tunnel?Morton’s Neuroma? (closest fit so far)…bursitis…And frankly I am driving myself nuts. Rheumy just says Oh it is PsA. Please share ANY experiences you may have had if this sounds familiar. I am not sure where to go from here. Hoping it is a flare and not permanent. I have no health ins. so have to pick treatment options carefully. Feel free to ask questions if this is a muddled description. And thak you for any encouragement as I am becoming so depressed from being and feeling this way. I am tough, and deal with the daily ins and outs of these diseases. I carry on the best I can. But this has me really sidelined.

Well it is a part of PsA, not a common one. small fiber neuropathy is the normal cause. It is likley a sarcoidosis (there is a blood test that may point it out) Not sure why you can’t takes NSAIDS, but generally the most effective medication for this is old fashioned Aspirin I prefer Anacin. But if you absolutley can’t take any NSAIDS you might ask about Mexiletine commonly a heart med, it is a non-selective voltage-gated sodium channel blocker that often supresses these kind of reactions. Most rheumies like Lyrica better for some reason. I suspect its because these symptoms often go a along with FMS.

Some hip work with a PT often helps as well.

You might also want to visit: http://www.livingwitherythromelalgia.org/ not suggesting thats waht you have (not that it doesn’t happen) but there are some real practical solutions for dealing with it.

1 Like

Thank you for this info. I will read up on the small fiber neuropathy. The reason I can’t take NSAIDs is because my colon bleeds from them. Even low dose aspirin can cause a flare for me. Will look into the medications you reference. I tried Cymbalta a few years back and could not stay awake for more than 4 hrs a day.

:wink: Because a family member invented it? :wink::wink: Or, am I just imagining that! :blush: I’m very leery about pain meds and can’t take much because acetaminophen is the only one that doesn’t bother my stomach. But acetaminophen isn’t all that safe…if anacin is safer and works better for inflammation, I’ll give it a try. Is it safe for people on blood thinners?

No matter, I remember Anacin from when I was a kid…we had it in our medicine cabinet and I’m sure my parents took it…is it an anti-inflammatory?

Anacin was the “precursor” of Excedrin. Its basically just aspirin and caffiene although grandpa used to juice it up a bit. His juiced version that he developed for Rexall is still available in Canada as 222 (I think, but they are changing too)

No you can’t take aspirin while on blood thinners. Aspirin is still one of the best meds (and most commonly used) for small fiber neuropathy

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation!