What has helped you feel better besides the medications your doctor prescribes?

I just realized when I am feeling bad or experiencing a flare (same thing?) that I start having hot baths, drag out the heating pad and start watching old movies. I am watching one of my favorites as I write the "Always". What works for you? Maybe we can try other people's ideas for a nice change of pace as the weather changes and the seasons change.

One of the best things is going out with my girlfriends and laughing. I'm going to look into laughter yoga - it's suppose to be very beneficial for everyone because laughing releases endorphins etc....

I think yoga and laughing both really help! Together I bet they are unbeatable!

I will report back after my first class. At this point, I'm doing a beginner yoga class at home - I'm soooo out of shape and embarrassed to go to class yet.

I bought lavender Epsom Salts and just had a bath, now making tea and heading to bed. My finger is swollen like a sausage, painful to touch, red and feels itchy. I took a celebrex earlier today in hope that some swelling would go, however it's increased. I picked up T3 today however I'm trying to cope and get through this flare with out it. Will be using dream cream...love that stuff and the scent is soothing:-) When I first started using my husband said it smelled like something his great grandma used.....now my husband uses it too!

Hope tomorrow is a better day :-)

Dream Cream? Is that from Lush. i think I know and love it!

What is Dream Cream and where can you order it? What are the benefits? Thanks for the info !

TaraLynn said:

I bought lavender Epsom Salts and just had a bath, now making tea and heading to bed. My finger is swollen like a sausage, painful to touch, red and feels itchy. I took a celebrex earlier today in hope that some swelling would go, however it's increased. I picked up T3 today however I'm trying to cope and get through this flare with out it. Will be using dream cream...love that stuff and the scent is soothing:-) When I first started using my husband said it smelled like something his great grandma used.....now my husband uses it too!

Hope tomorrow is a better day :-)

Actually it's not from Lush, but I have seen that one too! I love Lush!! This one is made on Salt Spring Island. www.aromacrystal.com is the web site. My sister bought me some years ago and I have been using it ever since!
michael in vermont said:

Dream Cream? Is that from Lush. i think I know and love it!

OOh another bath company! I love ordering from lush too.

I'm not sure that link above worked :-( if you google dream cream salt spring island the site will come up.

Kisses and face squishes from the two cutest grandbabies ever! Oh right, not really what you were looking for but that is the best cure ever so if you don't have twin grandbabies I strongly suggest that you try and get some! Makes everything so much better! Other than that, I love a soaking Epsom Salts bath, light candles, take a drink, book and a nice long soak. I have recently started a yoga class and it does seem to work. But boy I seem to be the most least flexible person in the class!

Great idea for a thread Michael.
Everyday I make sure I do something just for me that brings me joy. It can be as simple as dunking a Cadburys milk choc bar in my hot chocolate (Very naughty for a diabetic!) driving to somewhere beautiful and just sitting and watching the wildlife, snuggling under the duvet on the sofa with the cats and watching the comedy channel, visiting my horse friends to share some apples.
So anything that makes me happy :slight_smile:

I love my tub. I have a small bathroom, but I have a great deep, jetted tub that is so wonderful. It’s narrow like a regular tub, but has all the right bells and whistles. This is my sanctuary. When things get pretty bad right before my next infusion, I get up earlier so that I can soak and loosen up all of my joints before I get going for work. I like to use essential oils in my tub, along with sea salt. They are supposed to be healing. I don’t know if they work, but the oil smells wonderful and I can soak for a long time without irritating my skin.

Last night, and today, my hands are killing me. I wrapped a reusable heating pad around each hand and konked out for the night! I hadn’t tried that before and it was so soothing.

My super awesome, wonderful husband does this thing we call, “tickle scratches”. He gently rubs his nails on my back and scalp. It’s HEAVEN anytime, but I really feel better when I hurt and he does this for me. In fact, I have found that any kind of gentle touch feels so good when I hurt. He will rub all of the things that don’t hurt, like all of my legs muscles or arm muscles staying clear of the joints and tendon insertions (I showed him where to avoid). It feels really good and it distracts me from the pain so well.

My cats are pretty funny. I have no doubt that they know when I hurt. Their behavior changes and they become very protective. They hate each other and this is the only time that they will get really close to each other. They’ll hop in beds with me and slink over really carefully and slowly. Then they each find a spot right next to me to lay. It’s always where the pain is the worst. They’ll curl up in their self-assigned spots and then purr like mad. They get nasty with anyone who tries to get near me. I think it’s a riot!

Holding one of my chinchillas will help my hands. I have a couple that are cuddlers and are easy to hold. I stroke their fur and feed them little treats. I swear this works for me, but I’m weird, so don’t run out an buy a chinchilla! I have six and I’ll share the magical healing properties of the chin! :slight_smile:

I guess my methods of pain control are mostly distraction. I love to have visitors when I feel like crap. I have a girlfriend who knows she might see me unbathed and still in my jammies, but she still comes to hang out with me. I’m so happy when she is here, that the pain slips into the back of my mind. We will talk for hours, and it makes me feel a little more human and less a big mess of pain.

LOL, MAT!!

My boys are to young to give me any grand babies! I have to wait a few more years for that. I’m sure that cuddling grand babies will be top on my list too!

MAT said:

Kisses and face squishes from the two cutest grandbabies ever! Oh right, not really what you were looking for but that is the best cure ever so if you don’t have twin grandbabies I strongly suggest that you try and get some! Makes everything so much better! Other than that, I love a soaking Epsom Salts bath, light candles, take a drink, book and a nice long soak. I have recently started a yoga class and it does seem to work. But boy I seem to be the most least flexible person in the class!

LOL, you must have been to Walmart! I wanted the lavender, but it was all gone and I bought the chamomile instead. Nice, but not lavender. :wink:

TaraLynn said:

I bought lavender Epsom Salts and just had a bath, now making tea and heading to bed. )

Yes, distraction’s the thing for me too. Getting out and going somewhere (even if it means using my scooter or my crutches) works well for me. I’ve been on major trips during bad times and I’m sure I’m better off keeping busy and having new experiences than I am at home.
I don’t have a chinchilla, but I do have two dogs and they keep me laughing and supplied with kisses and snuggles.
Great thread, Michael!

Wow Seenie you're absolutely right!! Bought it at walmart yesterday :-)

Seenie said:

LOL, you must have been to Walmart! I wanted the lavender, but it was all gone and I bought the chamomile instead. Nice, but not lavender. ;-)

TaraLynn said:

I bought lavender Epsom Salts and just had a bath, now making tea and heading to bed. )

Sitting in my recliner cuddling with my puppies (mini poodles) does wonders for me! I also recently bought some soap from a person who makes it locally. I bought lavender soap, and it makes my skin much smoother than using body wash. It really helps smooth the rough spots and the smell of lavender is very soothing! Naps, too, have helped me lately. I have been very fatigued lately, and a short nap after work has helped. I plan to get into some yoga classes once my daughter is back in school and we are on a regular schedule again!

You can purchase dream cream on line as you ca all of aromachrystaltherapy products, or come visit SaltSpring Island between April and October and visit our awesome Saturday market. They have a booth at the market.

My dog means so much to me. Fortunately she is low maintenance and I have her groomed with a short cut because I don't have the hand strength to handle a long coat. She is a Yorkie and having her curl up next to me is magic. I have set up several bird feeders that I can watch from my favorite chair. It provides me with some entertainment. I had to quit fighting with the squirrels over their attempts at raiding the bird feeders, so I now have feeders for the squirrels. And I may sound a little weird, but there are some mushrooms that are growing at the base of a dying oak tree and I photograph them every day. They started growing in early July and are still there. I finally identified them. I find mushrooms beautiful and interesting. I have set up a website with my mushroom photos. It takes my mind away from the pain and that is what I need most.