What Beneficial Changes Have You Made?

What beneficial changes have you made since getting diagnosed with PsA?

How have these changes helped for the better?

Did any of these changes have unexpected outcomes?

Posted yesterday, but didn't get to respond to my own post because I got interrupted by kids! LOL

Since getting my PsA (and AS) diagnosis, I've pursued my health issues further. I was also diagnosed with celiac and am now gluten-free. For years I tried everything to avoid taking meds, but decided to give Enbrel a try and am SO glad I did.

I've also worked on balancing movement and stillness - and learned to say NO to the myriad things I get asked to do for various organizations I volunteer with.

I am struggling wish there was one easy answer. I been trying a few different

things. Staying away from carbs, fruits , veggies have helped, but dairy seems to make things worst.

I am on a few drugs, It appears that the MD just wants to add other ones. I am in the health field and a better RN then a patient. I hate taking pills. I am on NSAID,sulfasalazine, anti depression oh and stomach pill. He wants to add MTX or humeria ...My concerns is I work in ER I don't need low immunity . I have heard about Vit D or B12 or glucosume my MD saide there no proof they work. I am up tonight because my neck hurting last 2 days was my back.. If someone has the answer please share

I am trying to back to work after being off with thyroid ca and
a super flare post surgery. I work in ICU I was on mtx, enbrel and remicade
Before surgery. I had to be extra super good with my PPE and
a little neurotic. I doubled gloves, scrubbed AND moisturized like
A demon. Was extra paranoid about airborne bugs and
would mask if was any possibility. I found that I was able to
remain healthy. I take lots of vitamin D, probiotics, omega 3, turmeric and
Multivitamin as well. It is doable you just have to think ahead
and be a bit paranoid. Good luck, sucks being on the wrong side of the bed. I am do
not a good pt.

Denise329 said:

I am struggling wish there was one easy answer. I been trying a few different

things. Staying away from carbs, fruits , veggies have helped, but dairy seems to make things worst.

I am on a few drugs, It appears that the MD just wants to add other ones. I am in the health field and a better RN then a patient. I hate taking pills. I am on NSAID,sulfasalazine, anti depression oh and stomach pill. He wants to add MTX or humeria …My concerns is I work in ER I don’t need low immunity . I have heard about Vit D or B12 or glucosume my MD saide there no proof they work. I am up tonight because my neck hurting last 2 days was my back… If someone has the answer please share

I was diagnosis after surgery in may. I guess stress to my body sent my autoimmune system in overdrive.Thanks for advice and encouragement

I’ve asked my kids to take more responsibility around the house, with tasks I can’t do now.

They have really thrived! A great feeling of pride and growth for them.

I enjoy being with my grandkids more than anything else in life, but I have learned to conserve my energy a few days before I go to see them. I also have learned to sit down and hold them on my lap instead of picking them up when I am standing. I am blessed to be able to stay at home, so I can crash the day after I have spent the day with them.

I have been a really driven, alpha type personality throughout my working career and have just pushed, pushed, pushed myself harder and harder over the years. Combine a high flying career with two small children something had to give. Since having PsA I have had to slow down (because there is no fast if you have PsA!). It does mean that I have slowed right down, enjoy just being in the ‘now’ rather than rushing off to the next thing and just enjoying simple things. It’s actually In some respects improved my quality in life in that respect. Completely screwed it up in others though…

Was lucky to have successful back surgery n 2011. My R hand was swollen and painful joints. Asked every professional from neuro, neuro surgeon & his PA, PT, NP, medical professionals who are friends or family what is “this swollen” blob on back of my hand…"don’t know, ganglion cyst?, sprain?, …with sed rates always high, and susceptible to every germ,…you can imagine the frustration I felt…oh yes I forgot the genius who told me it was inflammation…then my husband referred me to a ortho who did an MRI of hand…I became the talk of the clinic…he scared me at first with his concern and 2nd visit he told me he wanted me to see rhuemy! I asked him if he had one in his back pocket! Just so happened he did…it was a thurs. and he was in that office…he juggled someone and saw me within 10 min. Fine dr. mtx dint do…awful side effects, can’t take NSAIDS, started enbrel monoject pens , side effects…them multivial enbrel. Have bad days good days…vertigo is problem, but think I am on track. Feel everyone’s pain. I consider myself blessed.

I was just like that…you have to pace yourself.
Icky to have supportive husband. Here’s to better days!

GwynnethP said:

I have been a really driven, alpha type personality throughout my working career and have just pushed, pushed, pushed myself harder and harder over the years. Combine a high flying career with two small children something had to give. Since having PsA I have had to slow down (because there is no fast if you have PsA!). It does mean that I have slowed right down, enjoy just being in the ‘now’ rather than rushing off to the next thing and just enjoying simple things. It’s actually In some respects improved my quality in life in that respect. Completely screwed it up in others though…

I have learned how to rest and how to enjoy it :)

Well it took me 40 years but I quit smoking, lost 100# (low carb), and pace myself better.