What are the benefits of Methotrexate?

My rheumatologist prescribed Methotrexate. I would like to know what to expect? I generally tolerate most medications well. I would like to hear from anyone that has had positive results taking this drug. What symptoms improve? How long before you felt better? Do the benefits outweigh the side effects? If you had nausea or digestive side effects, what usually helps with this? I will appreciate any response. I haven’t taken MTX yet, just got it today, and I am somewhat apprehensive.

I can honestly say MTX is the one thing that quickly and consistently works for me. The side effects are not always fun for me, but not everyone gets them. For me within 2 weeks I could feel improved movement, and less swelling, and therefore less pain, and I continued to get better over the first couple months. I’d say the benefits outweigh the side effects/ risk because if you let your disease go unchecked, it can just continue to cause damage and progress. MTX works by killing off the rogue immune cells in your body that are causing the inflammation and damage, so it can work pretty quickly.

For me, I always try to stay overly hydrated, even drinking a lot more fluids the day of taking it. I take it before bed as to sleep off the side effects of being very tired and some headache. Also, this is just me, but I find eating salty foods can help. This again probably has something to do with water retention and hydration. Good luck!

I too have had great results with mtx over the past 3 1/2 years. It's the one medication that I have taken from the date of my diagnosis. I felt effects quickly, doc said it usually takes a couple to few weeks. Helped with pain, swelling and extent of the psoriasis. It wasn't an absolute cure all but it made a huge difference, still does. I started taking it on Friday night right before bed because of the side effects, little nausea, dizziness if too active for the better part of the next day and need to be able to access a bathroom quickly the next half day. That way I slept through most of it and I didn't have to deal with it at work on work days. I eat lightly, limit activity to some degree and as, Hurtblogger said, keep well hydrated.

I had some adjustment due to liver enzymes elevation but we stopped the med and adjusted up until labs stayed good. It was when we stopped it for a few weeks that I realized just how much it helped me. The lower dose isn't as effective as the larger dose that we had to move down from but some is better than none in my book. It is a very powerful med and I don't take the warnings lightly but my feeling is it is worth the risks to give it a try. I would otherwise be a big swollen ball in massive pain unable to get out of bed.

Wishing you the best with whatever your decision.

MB said:

I too have had great results with mtx over the past 3 1/2 years. It's the one medication that I have taken from the date of my diagnosis. I felt effects quickly, doc said it usually takes a couple to few weeks. Helped with pain, swelling and extent of the psoriasis. It wasn't an absolute cure all but it made a huge difference, still does. I started taking it on Friday night right before bed because of the side effects, little nausea, dizziness if too active for the better part of the next day and need to be able to access a bathroom quickly the next half day. That way I slept through most of it and I didn't have to deal with it at work on work days. I eat lightly, limit activity to some degree and as, Hurtblogger said, keep well hydrated.

I had some adjustment due to liver enzymes elevation but we stopped the med and adjusted up until labs stayed good. It was when we stopped it for a few weeks that I realized just how much it helped me. The lower dose isn't as effective as the larger dose that we had to move down from but some is better than none in my book. It is a very powerful med and I don't take the warnings lightly but my feeling is it is worth the risks to give it a try. I would otherwise be a big swollen ball in massive pain unable to get out of bed.

nancybr45 said:

MB said:

hi my name is nancy,i don’t spell well so i hope you understand, i was taking the mtx buy pill form made me real sick , but i had half of my colon removed because of lymphfoma i know i spelled that wrong, and maybe that is why i got sick,how taking shots doing much better has help alote even going for walk it when i stop it hurts so try and keep moving!!

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I took my first MTX dose late in the evening, to avoid side effects. The next morning I had a strange taste in my mouth and a slight headache. It’s been two days and I think I feel slightly better. I am very hopeful. I have taken Celebrex for 13 years and the Rheumy says I need to stop; but she is allowing me to take half my usual dose until the MTX makes a difference in my pain and stiffness. This is the most hope I have had in many years! I just had a new granddaughter and I am hoping to be an active part of her life. Once again, thank you, it’s great communicating with others with similiar symptoms.

That’s great news Andy! Glad the side effects weren’t too bad on you! For me the side effects have gotten better over time. My first day was really bad, and then every time got a little easier. I’m really glad it wasn’t too bad on you, eventually you may not have any day after side effects :slight_smile: With the headache, try even more fluids, drink as much as you can stand and it may go away. I hope you and your granddaughter get lots of great time together - this makes me smile :slight_smile:

Thank you so much.

Hurtblogger said:

That's great news Andy! Glad the side effects weren't too bad on you! For me the side effects have gotten better over time. My first day was really bad, and then every time got a little easier. I'm really glad it wasn't too bad on you, eventually you may not have any day after side effects :) With the headache, try even more fluids, drink as much as you can stand and it may go away. I hope you and your granddaughter get lots of great time together - this makes me smile :)

I’ve only been on it for about3 mos, & at first it was ok, but I’m hurting a lot now. I take 5 on sun. night & leuvocalcium(?) on monday. Last monday I was sick to my stomach all day. Maybe it was the MTX. I do see doc on tuesday so maybe we’ll try something else. Anyhow I’m not sure I like it. Sorry

I do take folic acid also. I forgot about that one. That’s supposed to help my hair & mouth sores. My hair is getting thinner. But today is doc day so maybe something good will happen.

Hi Andy, I’ve been on MTX for almost a year and have had virtually no side effects. I had a little bit of stomach pain/nausea the first few weeks but that is completely gone now. You’ll need to have blood tested regularly for liver function but I’ve not had any problems myself. On the flip-side, it also hasn’t helped a whole lot so I’m now on Enbrel. There are other similar drugs out there that your doc may want to explore if MTX doesn’t knock down your PsA symptoms. I wish you many pain-free days!