Methotrexate side effects

Day after taking Methotrexate I feel terrible! Does anyone know what's going on internally to cause this?

I take my mtx in the evening and seem to sleep through the worst of the side effects. Would love to know what is happening internally though! I’d also like to know why a large dose is taken weekly rather than a bit every day.

The first few doses I felt horrible. I now take this about 30 minutes before going to bed on Friday night and sleep a good 12+ hours, and might still take a nap the next day. I have heard some have stomach issues with the pills and that the injections don't have the nausea side effects??

Wiki has a big write up on it. It doesn't seem to explain exactly what's going on though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methotrexate#Autoimmune_disorders

I'll be starting this soon (As soon as I fill out the Rx). I already heard about the side effects from this site and was considering taken it either Friday or Saturday.

I started it today. My md said taking it all on one day makes it easier on your liver. I still not sure why. I got mixed info onif i should take folic acid with it or not on that day

I have been taking it for 3 months, I take it Saturday morning and have to take a 2 hour nap in the afternoon, then I am fine. I tried taking it at night but it made me feel crappy all the next day so I do what works... could be different for all. I was told by my doctor to take folic acid every day and that would counter some of the effects also. Good luck!!

Alan

Denise- my Rheum says to take a folic acid supplement everyday. No need to have a folios acid prescription. It’s available at most drug stores and GNC. Also I was told that the prescribed dose of MTX had to be taken all at one time because of dangerous side effects

Denise329 said:

I started it today. My md said taking it all on one day makes it easier on your liver. I still not sure why. I got mixed info onif i should take folic acid with it or not on that day

I took it for six weeks. While I did get relief from the joint pain it was a miserable six weeks. I was useless fir four days. It took that long for me to get my balance back and settle my stomach down. I took it at night so J could reduce the initial impact but within twohours of takng it, my head would be spinning.

You do need to take a high dose of folic acid. 5mg and for that you may need a perscription. Injectable has less side effects. I have been on MTX for 4 yrs injectable will little or no SE/s

2trees i heard there a shortages of injectable. I am starting in 1mg md said depending on side effect might have to increase

one mg of MTX? 1 mg of folic acid is what a lot of docs prescribe. My rheum starts everyone off at 5. I am at max dose of MTX BTW. so far there is no shortage in Canada. I could not take tablets I had recurring mouth sores.

Denise329 said:

2trees i heard there a shortages of injectable. I am starting in 1mg md said depending on side effect might have to increase

sorry 1 mg folic acid and 6 mtx pills

2trees said:

one mg of MTX? 1 mg of folic acid is what a lot of docs prescribe. My rheum starts everyone off at 5. I am at max dose of MTX BTW. so far there is no shortage in Canada. I could not take tablets I had recurring mouth sores.

Denise329 said:

Just to clarify...yes, an MD can give you a prescription for folic acid, but check the pricing because you may be able to save some money getting your folic acid at a place like GNC, VitaminShoppe, etc. Just check the mg amounts on the label. My prescription program has a minimum $$ amount and overall I save money by buying on my own. My Rheum Dr is completely OK with this as long as I take the same amount as prescribed.

What is the max, dose of mtx? I have just had mine increased to 20mg weekly. Just wondering how much further they go???

max dose is 25mg for MTX weekly injection or tablets. In Canada you need a script for 5 mg when I was in Australia I bought some right over the counter.

No way over the counter what about all blood work and follow ups…sorry i am a nurse . It took me awhile before i started it because i was worry about all side effects

yes I think I had every SE when I started on MTX and folic acid :) I phoned the nurse in tears rheum called me back and convinced me to go the distance. It has paid off I guess? I don't get sick any more

Thanks i will probable asking a ton questions

Taking my first dose of MTX tonight (15 mg). Find out tomorrow how I am with it.

Started 15mg 3weeks ago, 4th tonight. Nausea with loss of appetite on 1st dose with a 3 day migraine. 2nd dose less nausea w migrain lasting 2 days. 3rd doss no nausea no headache. I do get tired for couple of days w every dose and notice little more hair than usual falling out w every shampoo, nothing to get excited about. Also take 1mg folic everyday but bought 5mg o/ counter & take next few days after mtx dose.

JacksonJ said:

Taking my first dose of MTX tonight (15 mg). Find out tomorrow how I am with it.